Video – First Tomb Raider gameplay aired during MS presser

Tuesday, 7th June 2011 08:59 GMT By Johnny Cullen

You may have seen it yesterday, but just in case you haven’t or just want to see it again, find after the break the first gameplay demo of Tomb Raider that was shown during the Microsoft press conference yesterday. If you haven’t watch it yet, you really should: it looks properly terrific. This looks set to be one of the big contenders for game of the show.

Tomb Raider launches in fall 2012 for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Blerk

Not sure about this. Is there actually any exploration now? Because it looks like one great big long linear tunnel. A very pretty tunnel, for sure, but…. hmm.

2. Mike

I really don’t like it.

It’s basically all elaborate QTE’s and hand-holding puzzle solving. Completely missing the point of the franchise.

It sure does look purty though!

Why can’t I be Lara, be stuck in a room, and it actually take perhaps 2 hours for me to try shitloads of routes, and things in order to try and get out – thus actually making me feel that a) I’m trapped in a dark, nasty place and can’t get out and b) I’ve achieved something and perhaps my mindset is more akin to an action/adventurer?

Surely that’s immersion?

3. Patrick Garratt

I think it turns to a “hub” format after those opening sections, Blerk.

Nathan’s seeing this later. I have to say I’m pretty excited by it. Definitely one of the stand-out games of yesterday.

4. razvan2you

It’s amazing….no need for other words….

5. Maximum Payne

Drake called he want his animation back.

6. Bluebird

I’m with Mike. More actual exploration would be welcome. Hopefully it opens up quickly after that.

7. Blerk

In that case I look forward to hearing what Nathan has to say. Grayson, not Drake. :-D

8. aprotosis

I think the problem is that the dev playing the game just blew through the puzzle room without so much as a pause. When giving a time-limited demo though, that is really to be expected. At least they did show a puzzle, even if it was brief.

This is actually a good illustration as to why I like Tomb Raider over Uncharted. Tomb Raider presser, they show scene driven action plus puzzles. For Uncharted they show scene driven action plus shooting. Yeah, give me the puzzles.

9. Mike

A puzzle isn’t a puzzle if there’s a glowing object on the screen tellng what you need to use. I really hope that thing’s optional.

10. Toastrules

Sony: Press X to Jason

Microsoft: Press X to moan

11. Petulant Radish

I hope you can turn off the survival mode, it’d much more satisfying to complete puzzles without being shown how to, otherwise what’s the point?

12. varsas

@Mike: That’s the survival instinct mode similar to the detective mode in Arkham Asylum.

I think some of the QTEs could be removed e.g. the escape at the end of the tunnel in a similar vain to Uncharted but overall it does look good. If it has a more open structure to going through levels compared to Uncharted then this could be an excellent companion game.

13. DaMan

That’s the demo whose description has been posted several times on the boards, quoted from magazines

it’s just an intro, it opens up after that. I do hope there’re 2 hour puzzle rooms though. The’ve said they will be similar to Portal ones in a away.