Nintendo has dropped the suggested retail price of DS Lite to $99.99 and it has also announced that Mario games will be re-boxed for that customers can easily identify them.
Effective June 5, one of the best-selling handhelds in history, DS Lite, will be available at a suggested retail price of just $99.99 in the US.
The DS system family has sold over 48.9 million systems in the US alone.
Also in June, six Mario games for Nintendo DS will be packaged with red bordering for easier identification.
The six Mario games that will begin sporting the new Mario-red packaging in June are: New Super Mario Bros., Mario Kart DS, Super Mario 64 DS, Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story, Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem and Mario Party DS.
As of the end of April 2011, the NOD reports that each of the six titles getting the spiffy red packing, have each sold the following:
- New Super Mario Bros.: more than 9.25 million units
- Mario Kart DS: more than 7.40 million units
- Super Mario 64 DS: more than 4.34 million units
- Mario Party DS: more than 3.27 million units
- Mario & Luigi: Bowser’s Inside Story: more than 1.98 million units
- Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem!: more than 1.01 million units
“From the moment it launched, Nintendo DS Lite hit a sweet spot for consumers in terms of value, experience and fun,” said NOA president Reggie Fils-Aime. “This new price point will introduce Nintendo DS Lite to even more consumers, and the new red packaging will make it easy for them to find their favorite Mario titles.”