Hitman: Absolution to be “more accessible” to the masses, still for the core

Saturday, 28th May 2011 16:06 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Io Interactive has said it plans to make Hitman: Absolution more accessible to a wider audience while remaining true to the core.

Speaking with DigitalTrends in an interview, Absolution director Tore Blystad said the learning curve of the previous games in the series may be off putting to newcomers, so the firm is looking to make it less intimidating.

“The Hitman games of the past have been very hardcore,” said Blystad. “Even though the fantasy of the Hitman universe has a very universal appeal, the games have been so difficult to play, that it’s been more of an acquired taste.

“The biggest challenge that we had with this game was to make it much broader in every sense, so that it was easier to play and more accessible, but still retain a very strong, hardcore side as well. We don’t want to alienate any of our fans who have been extremely loyal for so many years.”

Blystad went on to discuss how the AI in Absolution benefits from the firm’s new game engine, the Glacier 2, and how it allows the characters to “act as believable as possible,” and even said it was “the most central part of the game.”

“If you attack an enemy from any angle, than we’re able to have them fight back, or continue on in a normal state if you ignore them,” he said. “There are similar things in games like GTA or these bigger sandbox games, but it’s on a much less granular level because we have a very strong focus on the abilities of the characters.”

Hitman: Absolution will be released next year on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360. Expect to see more of it at E3.

Thanks, EG.

1. Quasar

Goodbye for this series too
    fuckin retards

2. LOLshock94

is this gunna play like hitman blood money?

3. Stardog

Typical. This will be Splinter Cell: Conviction 2, even though it sold badly.

4. nofear360

@ 2: As the article points out multiple times, probably not. Nobody knows for sure at this time how much the game will deviate from its roots.

5. nemsis

Hitman : Call of Duty

6. GwynbleiddiuM

Suddenly lost all the interest I’ve had invested in this game, No Country for Bald Men, apparently…

7. OrbitMonkey

Ahhh you gotta love the internet dweeb default mode of negative crybaby ;) Maybe, just MAYBE, “more accessible” means more accessible like Assassins Creed 2. I don’t mean a free running Agent 47, but a large, open, gorgeous environment & gameplay that’s as complex as you make it….

No, why be positive? Negative sooo much easier o_O

8. Maximum Payne

@7 Yea.IMO we dont have info,sreens,videos but hey game is going to suck and we know it!

9. Moonwalker1982

I’m not gonna jump to any conclusions and judge it, i’ve seen nothing of it. I don’t like it much that they want to make it more accessible, cause thats absolutely not nessecary, i thought the Hitman fanbase was big enough, guess i’m wrong.

Let’s hope they don’t fuck it up, that’s all i’m gonna say.

10. The_Red

Talk about contradiction. This is like saying we’re gonna make a short film that’s still very long.

11. absolutezero

A can’t think of anything worse than a free-roaming Hitman. Jesus that would completely sap the globe trotting fuckwittery that the entire series is based on.

Watch as they strive to make this more accessable but end up alienating the people that loved it the most and it ends up selling less than Blood Money.

Actually has any game where “more accessible” has been mentioned in the run up to its release gone on to be better than the previous game in the series?

12. Arman.G4

Hitman : Call of Duty

==============
    whattt ?

13. Shubb9

After they made Dragon Age 2 ‘more accessible’, just the mention the phrase makes me lose hope for any game.
    Lowest common denominator mass market appeal, bean-counter driven, straight from the boardroom, thinking of nothing but the bottom line, sod what made the game popular in the first place, lets change it so people that didn’t like it before will buy it now we’ve got ‘Brand Recognition’(shudder), alienating the existing fan base. Kill Your Franchise 101.

14. Phoenixblight

Video game industry is a comericial entity if you can’t sell your game you are missing the point entirely. You go make your own game that is specific to you and you will see how fast it will fall flat on its face.

BTW Mass Effect 2 sold a lot more than the original and they did the same thing. What do you say to that? Yep definitely killing the franchise *rolls eyes*

15. xino

thats good news to me!

conviction was great man :(

so its all good:)

16. Bagame

It’s not the end of the world…

….
    …..
    but you can see it from here (sigh)

17. absolutezero

@14 I say Dragon Age Origins sold more than Mass Effect 2 and look what they did to that.

Your first line is false aswell, theres a long fucking list of titles that were made for a love of the medium and not simply for masses of fucking money.

You think Notch focused grouped Minecraft in order to sell more games? You think the Amnesia guys toned down their game becuase it might not appeal to the widest audience?

18. Phoenixblight

@17 No it didn’t not even close. DAO was mentioned at EA investor call 6 months after DAO release and it was mentioned it had done 3 million sales.

“You think Notch focused grouped Minecraft in order to sell more games?”

That is the exception not the rule. Grats to him for doing a pure sandbox game and making millions but he won the lottery, thats all that is.

“You think the Amnesia guys toned down their game becuase it might not appeal to the widest audience?”

Read their blog and post mortem and you would see that they were not making a game for themselves in fact the game was a make or break it title for them If Amnesia had not done well the studio would have closed shop.

There is a way to appeal to your fanbase and to appeal to a broad audience a good developer can read between the lines which I hope the studio handling Absolution can see that line.

19. DSB

Hitman always struck me as a series that was far too set in its old ways for its own good. Every time I’ve tried to pick up a new one, the incessant trial and error has just turned me right back off.

Their solution to simplifying things was allowing everybody to shoot their way through the entire thing and miss out on the core gameplay.

For me the whole game should be based off the one hotel mission in the original game. That’s some of the most awesome gameplay I’ve ever seen, but I also haven’t seen them do anything like it since. Granted, I passed on Blood Money.

20. Phoenixblight

You could essentially run and gun in the game, I have done it more than a few times though I got a really horrible rating for doing so but whatever it usually was a 3-4th playthrough.

21. Moonwalker1982

The game will be at E3, just not certain if we are gonna see anything of it since its gonna be a private showing. I hope some gamesites can take away our worries, but most of all…i just wanna see it in action. Please people let’s not write a game off before we’ve even seen anything of it.

22. OrbitMonkey

@19 I loved Blood Money, got 1000 cheevo’s for this back in the day :)

23. DSB

Yeah a lot of people have recommended it to me. I’m gonna have to try it out sooner or later.

Recently got Mini Ninjas. That’s surprisingly good, I can’t help thinking that IO are actually a lot better at the slightly open, combat oriented thing, like Freedom Fighters as well.

24. Moonwalker1982

Blood Money was awesome, man i loved that game. For example the opera house mission, oh my!!! I absolutely love how you can eliminate your target in multiple ways, i remember how i always restarted the mission right after finishing it to try the other ways of killing a target.

Please IO, keep that in. Mini Ninjas is a fun game yeah, i wonder if that was made by the Kane & Lynch guys. When i played the first K&L i couldn’t help but wonder what the fuck had gone wrong, cause these sure as hell weren’t the guys who made the Hitman games. It worries me that nobody from the previous Hitmans is still at IO anymore.

25. GwynbleiddiuM

@15 just so we are clear, in what universe SC: Conviction was great?! Everything in it was broken and battered, it wasn’t the worst game out there but it was nothing close to great…

26. Aman27deep

@ 5 – I LOL’ED REALLY BAD.

27. YoungZer0

@7: Aye, completely embarrassing.

@17: Yeah also made Witcher 2 more accessible. So go figure.

28. Noodlemanny

The problem I see is that accessibly and hardcore are pretty much by definition contradictory. I’m certainly sure its impossible to have a heavily hardcore game that can be enjoyed by anyone.

29. Phoenixblight

“Being a fan of the series I really want this to be good, I really hope they can pull this off. But I’m sceptical, I can’t see how they possibly can.”

You can make the game more accessible while keeping to the fan base look at Dead Space 2 with its nightmare difficulty or Fallout New Vegas with survival mode. You are just being close minded.

They can keep the core gameplay of the original Hitman games by tweaking some things with the easier difficulties have it effect how many enemies are patrolling, less doors being locked, making enemies LOS and hearing much more specific so it makes it easier for people to get into. With the harder difficulties it can increase the amount of enemies, makes their LOS more broad, increase the amount of locked doors, etc.

30. DSB

Hardcore = Challenge and or bad design.

Seriously, that term is so fucking pseudo it hurts :P

There’s no reason why you can’t refine a game design-wise and still keep it challenging. You’ll never create a true masterpiece without doing both.

I like niche titles as much as the next guy, but I’m under no illusion that I’m the weirdo for bearing with all the design quirks that usually comes with one of those.

There is obviously a valid argument in games perhaps going further than ever before in the quest for consumers, but everybody’s basically contributed to that development for the last 20 years. Take something like the death of the tactical shooter. That was essentially my favourite genre and I still think it’s ridiculous that it’s gone, but it’s no use whining about it.

In an age where people are more concerned about what console they own or what the graphics look like, than what could actually be expected of the games they play, that’s simply what you’re gonna get.