Sony: NGP still on track for 2011, full PSN restoration still planned for end of May

Thursday, 26th May 2011 14:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has said NGP is still on track for release this year in case you had any doubts.

During its earnings briefing today, the firm said it was “progressing with preparations towards a release at the end of the year.”

Sony has always said its next handheld would be released by the end of 2011, but have yet to mention just where it will be released first, and whether all regions will get it this year or not.

Hopefully we’ll know more once E3 is done and dusted.

Also of note, during its financial briefing the firm confirmed once again that it plans on a full restoration of PSN services by the end of the month. However, should it miss the planned target it will only be by a few days.

Thanks: Andriasang, Phile-web.

1. Gama_888

Good And Good :)

2. Ge0force

#1 Very ^^

3. Erthazus

Make it 249.99 USD for the Wi Fi version and i’m buying it this year.

4. TD_Monstrous69

#1 and #2, my thoughts exactly.

5. Christopher Jack

Bring it to Australia for $300 or less & I’ll buy it day one, assuming that I’m impressed with the release window games.
    Give us Android on it & I’ll marry you Sony! Given the Other OS feature on the PS3 & the fact that the original PSP was killed by piracy, there’s no realistic chance of that happening :(

6. StolenGlory

Won’t WiFi be standard with every model? Did you mean to say 3G Erth?

7. NoxNoctisUmbra

That is one Sexy Handheld!

Few days ago I spend some time playing with 3DS. Man 3Ds seems like a joke, from design to 3D.

8. Erthazus

@6, standard is Wi fi and 3G.

3G is obviously will be 300$+

I want a standard model i really don’t give a damn about 3G.

@5, “Give us Android on it ”

Gosh. No. and it’s not going to happen anyway. Thank god.

9. Christopher Jack

@8, What’s wrong with Android? At it’s current point, it’s by far the best mobile OS for customization & functionality. iOS & Windows Phone 7 maybe simpler-but in my view, that’s their downfall.

10. Erthazus

@9, “At it’s current point, it’s by far the best mobile OS for customization & functionality”

Keep believing yourself and PR bullshit.

Also, NGP is not a mobile device and android will do nothing good for the hardware. Android is just more friendly with Java then others, but with current NGP hardware you don’t need that piece of shit anyway. So no. Sony won’t use it.

11. PS3Dreamer

Can’t wait to have this in my hand, DAM the wait is to long

12. Christopher Jack

@10, Keep believing in PR bullshit? Apple is the king of PR bullshit & MS aren’t too far behind.

Without rooting your device, Android offers much more than either iOS or WP7.

The only way you could possibly claim that iOS has more features is if you’re referring to the number of Apps. WP7 is just pure failure(In my view), hopefully MS can do something decent with WP8 but I doubt it.

You’re clearly in denial, a personal hatred of Google maybe? At least I admit that I hate Apple, it’s a little because of their smug PR, a little because of their unjustified prices(Argue & bitch all you want, they profit more per sale than just about everybody else) but mostly because of their extremely strict regulations that hurt both developers & consumers & only benefits themselves.

13. Erthazus

Ok. enough. I can’t speak with complete Sony and Google fanboy. Come back when you will understand something about software, software development, software tools and hardware capabilities.

for F Sake. I will repeat myself again for the last time. NGP is not a “Mobile” device. It’s a proprietary device that needs a constant update and firmware and probably it’s own software tools for the developers. It’s not Sony Ericsson Xperia or something. They could put it, but until you are a fanboy you won’t understand why they didn’t do it from the start. It’s important for Sony to have it’s own software OS on NGP.

Jesus christ. Grow up already for sake. Please.

14. Christopher Jack

@13, The only difference between this & a smart phone is that it’s designed primarily for gaming & not phone calls.

It uses the same ARM system-on-chip architecture that is found on every Android phone & iPhone, there’s no reason that it couldn’t function smoothly on it. Which is why I think Android could be a great feature(Yes, I said feature, I don’t want it as it’s primary OS)-as long as it’s not forced upon those who do not want it.

It’ll eventually be hacked to use it anyways.

Mobile device is a portable device-normally pocket sized, your own imaginary definition means nothing. We call our Cell phones, Mobile Phones because they’re portable phones.

P.S. Calling me a fanboy of either Sony or (especially) Google is just weird, I don’t like either company, I don’t like any company, I like Sony’s hardware-I’m not the only one & I really like Google’s mobile OS & I’m clearly not the only one.
    I just think that an optional dualboot feature could be a great selling point for Sony’s hardware given the popularity of Android & the fact that the NGP is more powerful than any currently announced or released tablet but it’s also a risky maneuver on Sony’s part.

Your bias opinion against Android is completely irrelevant, I bet you wouldn’t be complaining if I mentioned an iOS feature.

15. 2plus2equals5

The sooner the better.

16. PapaJustify

@14: Although I agree that an installation of Android would be awesome, I am pretty sure we won’t see an OtherOS-feature on a Sony device ever again :D

17. Christopher Jack

@16, Oh I agree, Other OS was used for the original PS3 hack & the support pretty much died for the PSP because of piracy (via hacks).

18. Lounds