Sony: Only a “very small percentage” of PSN users canceled their accounts over hack

Tuesday, 17th May 2011 20:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony president Kazuo Hirai has said only a “very small percentage” of folks have called into the customer support centers in order cancel their PSN accounts over the recent hacking fiasco.

Speaking with the Wall Street Journal, Hirai said, however, that it was still too early “to draw conclusions based on those findings.”

In addition, CEO Howard Stringer told WSJ that the experience while not positive, will be good for consumer protection in the long run, thanks to the attention the hacking received.

“Our case, unfortunately, is so large and the scale of the PlayStation Network so big that it’s forced a lot of attention to be paid,” he said. “In the long run, that’ll be good for everybody else but it hasn’t been a wonderful experience for Sony.

“We had no reason to believe that our security was not good and still no reason to believe it because we have plenty of people looking at it. We’ve learned that we just have to keep improving our security. “We have to earn back the trust and loyalty we may have lost in this circumstance. That’s our goal and that’s one we have to reach.”

However, Stringer said there is no way to make PSN 100 percent secure, as no system is hack proof in this day and age.

PSN online play was brought back up in the US and UK on Sunday.

Thanks, Dtoid.

1. HauntaVirus

I wasn’t aware I could cancel my account.

2. rrw

^ me too. i dont see the point of cancelling account when it free

3. OrbitMonkey

“hasn’t been a wonderful experience for Sony” understatement of the year?

4. Bloodyghost

Very small percentage of such a big amount of accounts isnt as good as it sounds.

5. Lloytron

But how many changed their passwords and/or deleted their personal information?

6. Link1983

As aggressive as this sounds, They are morons. Why would you go to all of that effort? There is no point. So what if the PSN was hacked? I haven’t been affected and nor has the other 70+ million users.

7. Hunam

I had no idea I could…

8. ManuOtaku

#6 i dont think they are if you took in consideration that for some people sony has some responsability in what happened, and if they do believe that it seems quite naturally the cancelation of accounts, IMO

9. Kabby

I don’t think the problem is people being so enraged they cancel their accounts. The more likely scenario is people will just lose interest and become apathetic to Sony and the PS3. They will let their machine and accounts rot away. Much like they do with the Wii.

10. hitnrun

What a dumb statement. Obviously only the computer super-literate folks with OCD are going to actually cancel their free account. The problem for Sony is – and always was – how many of the exponentially greater bulk of gamers are going to avoid Playstation systems when possible in their future business transactions.

11. TheWulf

@9 – Pretty much. I used to support Sony but now the PS3 just fills me with apathy, I’ve got a mild sense of disdain and a strong feeling of utter disinterest. All it served to do is remind me of why I prefer the open structures of the PC.

What happened here could never happen on a PC. Because:

A) The PC is an open platform to begin with, there’s nothing to ‘crack’ and thus no one needs to get sued over it, so I don’t have to lose my respect for a company smacking down someone who was just standing up for consumer rights.

B) The PC is completely decentralised, it’s the antithesis of a console, which is completely centralised. If something about a console network dies, it just dies, like PSN did. The same thing could happen to Live, but it could never happen to the PC.

There are just so many reasons as to why I feel leery and distrustful of consoles. Sony has told me one thing: “You do not own your console.” Fine. That’s fine. I’ll own my PC instead.

And they’ve made one thing clear about their sense of corporate responsibility: It’s incredibly tarnished and they’re ready to point the finger of blame anywhere other than where it belongs.

Sure, they came through with their offers once the PSN went back up, but they had to to buy people back. Could you imagine how much worse it would have been if they hadn’t done something like this? This is one of the few sites I’ve seen that’s been charitable to Sony over this whole charade.

if there’s one thing that Valve has taught me, by comparison, it’s that they’re consistently reliable.

12. Dannybuoy

Logged in today, changed my password, found out the saved card details were of my old expired card (phew!) and deleted account info. If I spend on PSN in the near future I’ll just buy a PSN card from a local shop. It won’t happen again, but best play it safe from now on

13. NightCrawler1970

@12, amen bro, no more CC, just Pre-pay PSN cards…

14. OrbitMonkey

@TheWulf “I don’t have to lose my respect for a company smacking down someone who was just standing up for consumer rights”….?

Well theirs a statement loaded with bullshit.

1) Guys were trying to hack ps3 from launch. Removal of otherOS is a bullshit reason swallowed & regurgitated by fantasists such as your self.

2)You have no respect for Sony to lose that is blatantly obvious. This is of course your thing, i only bring it up as your pretentious diatribes tend to go on. Learn to self edit so we only get the highlights plz ;)

15. Gekidami

^ Why are you even wasting your time? Just ignore the spiteful, bitter PC fanboy.

16. rrw

#9 the problem with wii is barely any good game other than Q4. while ps3 have big game at least once a month.

next month probably people that abadon ps3 will go back and saying “did you see new uncharted?”

17. TVs Everywhere

I like how you’re picking on Sony for absolutely no reason. You said yourself your statements are about consoles and PCs, though at no point did you ever mention Nintendo’s or Microsoft’s “faults” in making far more closed consoles than Sony did with the PS3.

I still prefer the PC at the end of the day, but even implying that Sony in particular is at fault for having a closed product is simply idiotic when you realize the PS3 is actually still the most open console in the market today, despite removing OtherOS (which isn’t a big deal to anyone but the blind hater at this point. Homebrew lovers are getting their fix by completely cracking the PS3 at this point, making it far more open than it ever was with OtherOS. Anyone who continues to whine about OtherOS at this day and age is just mindlessly clinging on to a bone to pick on.)

18. LOLshock94

It’s abstinence. Now, what
    is that? It’s…doing nothing. Now, you’re good at doing nothing, right?

19. Deacon

Are you guys HONESTLY going to go out to a fucking store to buy a pre-paid PSN card every time you want to download something????

Do you buy pre-paid cards for Amazon, Play.com, ????

IMO that’s nearly as stupid as the people who’ve deleted their account.

It’s all protected. Get over it and stop being so paranoid!

20. Blerk

I’ve only ever bought pre-paid cards for Live, mostly because you can get them at a discount so you get more for your money. I buy cards when I see them cheap and stock up on points so that I always have some when I fancy buying something. It’s not as inconvenient as it sounds.

21. Deacon

Hey Blerk,

Kinda forgot about the money-saving aspect tbh. I can see the benefit of picking up cards when you get £5 free or something, but I think the people solely switching over because of the hack.. well.. I think it’s dumb.

I’m kinda lazy and I always forget things. Being able to say ‘YES/BUY’ on PSN and have the transaction go through automatically is a complete breeze. I would hate to have to fanny around with cards and codes. But that’s me.

22. Christopher Jack

@19, Some people don’t enjoy doing everything digitally, some stores sell the cards below price, some people aren’t old enough to own a credit card & some people don’t mind picking it up while they’re already out, some people don’t like having their details locked to their console-especially when it’s a shared console with family &/or friends.

Paranoia about hackers stealing their details has affected many gamers as of late but it’s not the only reason people do what they do-Will I use my card to buy things on PSN again? Sure I would, I just wish SCEE were to fix it so we can purchase things under $10 without being forced to add funds. If I want to buy a $3 mini, I don’t want to have to add $10 to my funds to do so, that’s screwed up man.