MDK 2 reduced from 280 MB to 40 MB for WiiWare release

Tuesday, 17th May 2011 02:51 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Beamdog co-founder Trent Oster has commented on the challenge of squeezing MDK 2 into a file one-seventh of the original’s size, and why WiiWare was the game’s destiny.

Oster told Nintendo World Report that the Wii’s motion controls fit well with MDK’s gameplay, but hinted that the console’s more humble graphical standards were a consideration.

“We also approached the title with the understanding that reworking the artwork to current generation standards would be a lot of work,” he said.

“We felt the Wii could best support the original content with engine updates. We made a few performance calls, sacrificing character shadows for a higher frame rate”.

Olster said the 40 MB file size limit was “somewhat of a shock” to Beamdog.

“We did some quick projections and knew it was going to be a tough job taking a 280 MB … game and crunching it down to 40 MB,” he said.

“We started by looking at how the game data was stored and re-designed the core data structures to make them much smaller. We then started examining content and potential techniques to compress the data while minimizing the fidelity loss.”

Eventually, some content had to be cut – including part of the game’s soundtrack.

The WiiWare re-release of the classic BioWare-developed sequel is out now, while a current-gen port, MDK 2 HD, is due on PC next year.

Thanks, Go Nintendo.

1. TheWulf

Cut content and music? Blargh.

I’d advise avoiding this then and getting it from GoG.com for the PC. I mean, the PC version is, what, $6? Not only that but you get all the content, the full soundtrack (even as a separate download), and it’ll run on any computer purchased within the last 11 years.

It’d be folly to buy the Wiiware version when there’s a vastly, vastly superior version on offer, to be honest. And this is why you fail, Nintendo. This could have been something, but instead it is nothing.

2. Phoenixblight

Or I will just wait a year when its been updated instead of going for the PC version now and I would probably have to modify it to play it which I would rather not.

3. TheWulf

Incorrect! GoG.com actually do the modifying for you, they’re known for it. MDK runs out of the box on Vista and 7, confirmed on my own machines.

So no. Utterly wrong. Sorry!

4. TheWulf

That said, the idea that it’s hard to get games running anymore is a myth these days. What with how friendly Win 7 is with backwards compatibility, and the advent of things like DosBox, ScummVM, and indeed, GoG.com, there’s little to no effort in getting anything running regardless of how old it is.

Computer knowledge from ’05 is computer knowledge from ’05 and should be called as such.

5. Phoenixblight

I haven’t bought a game through Gog.com so I just figured they just offer old ass games and don’t fix them accordingly much like steam. SO I stand corrected on that front but my point still stands on MDK 2 being updated it won’t look as it does now.

6. Blerk

GOG is actually proper awesome, I’ve got a few things from them and they run great even on modern kit.

Seems a somewhat odd decision to go for WiiWare with this one if the game wouldn’t actually fit without chopping huge chunks out of it. I wonder why they did that?

7. jevonski

yeah GoG.com rules for the old games ^^ though if people have a wii and don’t like the pc I can see them buying it.