Obsidian CEO considers return to Planescape: Torment

Friday, 13th May 2011 03:32 GMT By Jessica Citizen

The idea of a sequel to beloved PC RPG Planescape: Torment isn’t completely off the table, admits Obsidian CEO Feargus Urquhart.

Planescape Torment

In fact, in a recent interview with Play Magazine (issue 205), Feargus Urquhart made the revelation that there are “almost no games” in his past that he wouldn’t at least consider revisiting to create a sequel.

Planescape: Torment is the first one that springs to mind for many gamers is, and Urquhart seems open to the idea, explaining that the idea was last discussed nearly a decade ago.

Urquhart continues, “A lot of revisiting old games is about saying, ‘okay, that worked in 1999, what would work now?’ And how would you do it again?”

“We’d have to think a lot about it, because it would have to be done right,” Urquhart muses, “Otherwise the fans of the original would be pissed off and new people wouldn’t get it. That would be terrible.”

The lengthy interview also touches on Obsidian’s reputation for releasing buggy games, as well as a post-mortem on Alpha Protocol. Pick up a copy of Play magazine to read the rest, thanks to NowGamer for this snippet, and special thanks to ianos, who needed to lie down for a while after hearing the news.

1. GwynbleiddiuM

This is one of those times that I don’t know if I should burst in dance moves out of excitement or run in terror cause Obsidian work these days terrifies me…

2. TheWulf

A revisit to Rashemen would be lovely, too, to be honest. In fact, I think I’d even prefer that to P:T, since it was such a land of wonder. Rashemen, in Mask of the Betrayer, had that special mix of the fantastic, yet the deep, believable, and fleshed out, and the characters were simply marvellous, some of the best written I’ve seen in any RPG to this day.

I’d really like to explore more of the depth of Rashemen, because Mask was something I found hard to let go, I replayed it three times and wished that I could somehow bring the Wall of the Faithless down. It’d be interesting to see what they could do with a 4E version of Rashemen, too. I wonder if Okku would still be about?

But yeah, P:T was fun, but it was more of an “Oooh, would you look at that??” sort of experience. I’d almost call what happened in Rashemen to be downright bloody existential, it posed a lot of personal and ethical questions, and I’m very happy to be grilled by a game like that, to have my mettle well and truly tested in arenas other than combat.

I’ll stop rambling now. But I can understand the fear of #1 there, they do seem to have lost some of their imagination and sense of humour, I don’t even know if they’d still have it in them to write a character like Gann-of-Dreams, but if they could pull it off… a revisit to Rashemen would be most, most welcome.

3. Phoenixblight

How about they don’t and say that they did? Obsidian is the half baked step child leftovers from Black Isle.

4. hitnrun

#3 +1

Planescape: Torment is what it is and was what it was. A “sequel” would just be another talking-head cinematic RPG with a crappy substitute ruleset.

And even if it had update potential, Obsidian’s cheap geek-catnip remake factory wouldn’t be the outfit to do it justice.

5. Hunam

Another PST would be the worst thing in the world. The original is a great, finished work of art. It doesn’t need anything added to it and any further work on the series would be to it’s own detriment. It’s the product of a perfect situation making the right game. Obsidian just don’t have what it takes to make that game anymore.

6. Shonak

I´d still buy it, although it probably won’t even come close to P:T. However, I wonder if a remake or a sequel would be favorable. I actually like kinda the thought a remake, as long as it’s 2nd best game ever made… first one is obviously P:T.

7. Erthazus

OBSIDIAN Can do it. But with bugs.

They returned me with NEW VEGAS.

8. YoungZer0

No, just no. Planescape Torment should be left alone. No sequels please.

9. blackdreamhunk

aw sweet i wonder if they would do a remake of the original?