Report: UK retail sources seeing an increase in PS3 trade-ins for Xbox 360

Thursday, 12th May 2011 14:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Retail sources close to Edge have told the site shops are getting more PS3 trade-ins than usual, as Sony’s PSN services continue to remain offline.

According to the sources, more PS3 consoles are being traded in for cash or switched out for Xbox 360 consoles. It was also reported that sales of PSN points cards are down, which is to be expected in all honesty, but one source went so far as to say pre-orders for titles for the Sony console were also slumping.

“In the first week of downtime we did not really see any major change in sales or trades,” said a store manager at a major UK retailer. “However, from the second week onwards we have seen an increase of over 200 percent on PS3 consoles being traded in, split almost 50/50 between those trading for cash and those taking a 360 instead.”

Belgian retailer Gameswap went on record with Edeg to state it has seen a rather large increase of PS3 trade-ins for 360, but “in every case” it was a hardcore, online Call of Duty player.

“At the end of each month people come to sell their consoles, people that need money [to pay bills],” said the store’s Tom Mestdagh. “What’s different this time around is that that they are bringing in PS3s together with all their games and they don’t want money, they want an Xbox 360. In every case it is because of Black Ops and or Modern Warfare 2.

“We’re just ten days into the month and already we have an increase of 200 percent in PS3s coming into the store compared to all of March. Normally we sell them really fast, but not this time. We’ve only sold 30 to 40 percent of our inventory right now.”

Edge’s high street source offered that “pre-orders have been cancelled and flipped over to 360 versions of games,” with Mestdagh stating: “People are cancelling their order of Brink for PS3. People that have an Xbox 360 have switched their pre-orders – others are just cancelling entirely.”

Finally, a retailer in northern England told the site he has not seen an increase in PS3 consoles trade-ins; however, he did note the “incredible amount of disgruntled people annoyed that they can’t play online,” coming to the shop.

Sony took down PSN on April 20, and so far, there isn’t a confirmed date for the relaunch as the firm is making sure the network’s new security measures are properly implemented.

1. OlderGamer

To be expected.

2. Zana

I’m glad I don’t care playing online or not. Still having a great time with my PS3 games these days.

3. TheWulf

Playing Portal 2 online is worth it, though. One of the best multiplayer experiences I’ve had in a long while.

4. ManuOtaku

Well, i dont know if this is true, but is very believable under the circumstances, i did order brink for the 360 instead, due the PSN outage, otherwise i would picked the ps3 one, but i know iam not everybody.

5. Stephany Nunneley

I can see the PSN card sales being down, as that is a rather obvious reaction at retail, and maybe even game trade-ins – but full on console trade-ins? It would be nice if they could provide some actual numbers because if that is indeed the case, it’s rather big to be honest.

6. guapo

Yeah, a good friend of mine (who is also a battlefield nut) gave his ps3 to his younger bro’ and bought a 360. The dude NEEDS to play battlefield. This doesn’t really affect me as i am primarily a 360 gamer. I do miss the odd round of kz3 though.

7. NeoSquall

Call of Grenade players migrating to Xbox 360?
    That’s good news!

/troll

8. OlderGamer

I wonder if that is why I have seen a wave of lower ranked players on BFBC2 recently? New players always happen, esp when a OMP games hits games on demand. But I have seen a LOT of them over the past week or so.

9. Blerk

Man, those CoD junkies really gotta have their fix!

10. NoxNoctisUmbra

I miss online on ps3 but at same time it made me fall in love with single player again. Im playing red dead redemption right now and finishing some of the side missions and exploring the world. Would be fun online but I’m surviving. Also no need to trade my ps3 for xbox, I already have one.

11. GWint005

If you really need to trade in a system because you cant play a game online for a couple of weeks there are some other problems you should look into. I look forward them regretting it when Infamous 2, Resistance 3, and Uncharted 3 come out this year.

12. DrDamn

Which can also be had split screen with two controllers.

@Article
    It’s gone on too long for those who play stuff like CoD or BFBC day in day out. It’s also acted as a not so gentle push for those who were considering the option previously for what ever reason. There is the added factor that the harder core of CoD/BFBC players will tend to play in a group and if they make that switch then they may well do it as a group too. Wonder if EA or Activision are going to say they have seen an increase in 360 users/numbers soon too?

13. viralshag

I have to admit my PS3 usage has dropped dramatically other than for the before-bed FIFA stint or ahem, “browser based entertainment,” ahem.

My 360 on the other hand has been getting more love than usual. I already bought Mortal Kombat on the 360 due to no PSN and aim to do the same with Brink (if I decide to get it) and LA Noire.

It’s really a shame I can’t get inFamous 2 for the 360. ;)

14. FadeLive

Makes me happy that I own both consoles, picked up Bad Company 2 on the cheap for my Xbox a couple of days ago after PSN still not being up. Hopefully Sony will fix it by this upcoming weekend.

Must be really annoying for people that only own a PS3 and picking up new online games like Brink and Socom wanting some online action. I’ve seen a lot of CoD fan boys acting really pissed on youtube so not surprised that some of them picked up an Xbox to play their holy grail of gaming.

15. HeavenlyGamer

Those pathetic BLOPS and MW2 junkies should look in the mirror and ask their self how shallow their lives really are if they can’t do w/out a couple of weeks of online gaming. A trade in for a solid rope should seem like a better option..

16. Hunam

If the only game you play is CoD and FIFA, then being offline for a month is a pretty big deal. You just assume the worst when these people are just ordinary people who happen to like a game and have decided that they’d rather trade in for a 360 to carry on playing the game they like than investing in other games (which they might not like) or other hobbies.

17. Alakratt

What’s interesting is that Sony doesn’t seem to give a fuck about this or losing consumer’s trust and well, money. It’s like it doesn’t motivate them to give a date or go faster. Really, their last blog post was just a cropped copy/paste job re-stating that they don’t know when it going to be back up and saying it’s going to be a few more days….yeah fucking right, they can’t even say it’s going to be up before next week! I only played Portal 2 online (with a PC friend) the first day and MK too. Socom 4? never played it online, and Brink too. Really, Sony’s way of handling this has been awful! It may not have been their fault, but fuck!

18. Craymen Edge

I guess a drop in game pre-orders for online games is to be expected while the PSN is still down. With hindsight I regret pre-ordering Portal 2 for PS3. It seemed like the best value at the time, but PSN went down the day it came out so I can’t play co-op online, and can’t activate the PC version either. :(

I’ve never actually played online with my PS3 (360 and PC usually do that just fine), but trading in the console seems a little extreme.

19. G1GAHURTZ

If they really were all ‘CoD junkies’, they’s all have 360′s in the first place!

20. Kerplunk

I’m pretty sure I read comments that UK retailer GameStation had some promotion in place very quickly to capitalise console trade-ins on the PSN situation. Not sure if it was true though.

I’m sure Activision are loving some of the details outlined by those retailers. Good leverage for future negotiations with both MS and Sony.

21. Zurtech

I think #17 has it right.

Sony have lost a lot of trust with consumers. I don’t think it’s so much about how long PSN has been down, altho I’d wager it is a reason. I think it’s about the trust they lost for their handling of the whole incident.

Sony have a lot to prove to consumers to make them feel safe again. Many people would’ve just heard the headlines and the like about how PSN’s been hacked and millions of people’s account details have been stolen. So they’ll be doing what most would do to feel safe again and gettin rid of it and changing to something they feel safer with.

22. IL DUCE

Me and all my buddies, or clan if you prefer, all had 360s bought our PS3s for SOCOM since it was the only tactical shooter on the market these days and we were really tired of CoD…and even though I played the beta for a few weeks I got to play the actual game for about 2 or 3 hours and then the PSN got shut down, and me and a couple of the guys have been legitamitely discussing just scrapping the whole ps3 idea and trading them in, we did also play things like dc universe on there a little bit since a couple of us got it back in february but we bought it with the intentions of playing socom as a squad and have not gotten the proper chance to do that besides for the first day or two it was out…personally, I’m fed up and while I have been wanting to trade in my ps3 I will probably hold off to late May but no later than June and then trade it in if PSN is not back up and basically its function as a bluray player and a couple of bluray movies I invested in are the only thing that gives it value for me to continue owning it, that and the anticipation of another Quantic Dream developed game eventually but other than that I can live without a ps3 and had done so for the 5 years I’ve had my 360 and I alwasys have preferred my 360 and always will…at one point I refused to buy a playstation but I gave into it for socom and got burned so they haven’t made a very good impression with me as a customer…so maybe next time ill continue to stick with microsoft, which I have been doing enjoying portal 2 and brink on the 360

23. Robo_1

A proper GLOL there. :D

Regards the article, I’m not at all surprised that it’s the BLOPS players who are abandoning PS3. They’ll also be the first back, as anyone who’s put in months or even years of play time building up their rank is going to be loathed to abandon it and start again for the sake of a few weeks downtime.

I imagine in most cases, it’s simply pure addiction, but I’m not blaming them. We’ve all got our poison, and if they bought a PS3 to play online and they haven’t been able to do that for weeks on end, then yeah, fair enough.

24. Erthazus

You are all wrong here :D ALL WRONG!

the reason why there are more trade-ins, is because Sony protected it’s system. After 3.56 firmware you can’t play pirated games with 3.56. They removed a system | file managment.

thats why you see a lot of this. My local store have the same thing. A LOT OF returned PS3′s with 3.55 firmware.

:D

@19, except that Call Of duty on 360 outsell’s PS3 version by 3-4 million units.

25. daytripper

3-4m? didnt know that gap for cod was that big o_o

26. NoxNoctisUmbra

3-4 million. Because PS3 players have other games to play rather then same o same o, Call Of duty, Halo, or Gears of war… sure xbox has lots of good games spread out in all fields, but seems most xobx players are very casual players and will only play the POPular titles such as COD, Halo, and Gears. And I am talking in general term, not that all players do that. But its true.

27. Erthazus

@25, thats not a huge gap, when game sells for 20-25 million of units on 360 and PS3

28. loveaya

After all, the british love always xbox~

29. OrbitMonkey

Say it how it is Kev… Say it how it is :)

30. Gadzooks!

Bloody typical. After having my PS3 lie unused for the last 6 months I decide to sell it at exactly the same time as everyone else on the planet.

Consequently the trade-in price for PS3′s has dropped by a huge amount (my local game store will give me £130 but was offering £170 last month).

My timing is pure wazz.

31. Tizzo86

do they even have net flix over there? because a person like my self who doesnt have a computer….all i use my PS for is COD NETFLIX and INTERNET

i’ve been thinkin bout this XBOX thing for a while now….how much does XBOX LIVE cost???

im bout to call Gamestop and see about that trade-in for the XBOX

32. Hunam

Nope, no Netflix for us :( (if by UK you mean.)

33. Tizzo86

yea UK

i jus called…i might have an xbox today or maybe tomorrow

34. M. K.

EXBAAAAWWKKSSS…

No srsly I understand that, but I wouldn’t buy a new console. I guess PSN is going to be up in a few weeks again.

35. daytripper

@26 keep your sly fanboy shite to yourself thanks

36. Nozz

I ain’t going to lie, its annoying PSN being down as its my only console this gen but I seriously have a new respect for the single player experience. My backlog is treating me good!

Still want a 360 eventually but I’m going to decide after E3, if the focus is still on kinect (not really my thing) then I won’t bother. No matter how much I enjoy the Gears of War series.

It’ll be nice when PSN is back online, SOCOM 4 and MK9 baby!

37. nikk900

Well I work at gamestion and obviously the psn cards have taken a hit from what I’ve seen, there has been a few trades, one was rather strange as a guy traded a ps3 for a 360 because he said he couldn’t get on psn and then didn’t buy xbox live. Haven’t seen anything major though but then our shop is very pro 360 so most our customers have 360′s anyway.

38. monkeygourmet

My experience with Sony so far has been far from a good one. My Dad traded his PS3 with me for my Bluray player as he never used it for gaming (or for bluray for that matter.)

He must have used it twice in the year he had it before he gave it to me. I used it for a month before the drive completly crapped out on me. (it was a Phat 60gb model).

I phoned Sony who told me i would have to pay £130 to replace it as it was out of warrenty. I coughed up as it effectivly didn’t cost me anything in the first place. I had to buy a PSN plus membership as i couldn’t transport my Demon Souls Game save to a USB. It Took 2 weeks to drop off a replacement and when it did the Hard Drive was lose and it didn’t boot up.

I phoned there premium line to be sent through a bullshit list of questions (have you plugged it in etc…) before realising for myself it must be the hard drive. The guy on the line was telling me i had to buy a componant lead for some reason but i ended up fixing it myself by re-attaching the hard drive.

Eventually got it working only to find PSN down, so now i can’t log in and can’t access any of my old game saves.

Very fustrating as although i’ve had a few Xbox’s go wrong the service in getting a new one back has been excellent, free and i’ve always been given at least 1 months free Xbox live membership.

I’ve been very dissapointed in the way Sony have handled this situation in general.

39. OrbitMonkey

@30 Seeing as how you bought a ps3 only to never use it, suggests to me your impulse control is also wazz ;)

40. NightCrawler1970

SOny have no game-sales while there server is offline for almost a month and a half, but i never trade in my Phat-edition Motor-storm 80GB PS3 for a cheap old white(ugly) Xbox 360, needed extra a wifi to get online, plus a gold membership, even i pay every month cable(tripple play), Phone, TV, Internet… Now Game-stop is aware and they will give ya for example $150,- for ya trade in, depends how many games/controllers you have, if ya got lucky you might catch $200,- for all of it…, but still you have to pay at least $100,- for the Xbox, for batteries, controllers, wifi, battery-charger.. ect ect.. you basically you spend more…

Even Sony is offline for this month(according there statement) but i got a hunch that the server will be online on E3 date…

What i do when the server is offline, I guess i replay GTA4 again, i already maxed out in trophies, and even in offline, i still have fun :D

For those are impatience little spoiled whiner brats, can’t hardly wait to go online, they make that stupid move….

Some of them, DADDY WILL PAY FOR IT!!!!

41. HeavenlyGamer

@23 (Robo_1)

I’m not sure dude. I think those Activision worshipers who will abandon Sony just to be able to play BLOPS and MW2 on the 360 will stick with it, as MS has that timed DLC exclusivity deal with Activision. I bet they’ll see that as a reason to stick with MS and never go back!

And I just don’t get how people can be addicted to those games. I own MW2, but I only bought it because a friend told me how amazing part 1 was. I tried the MP once and never went back. I rather play Uncharted 2 MP, as that ain’t ONLY about running around and shooting.

42. Killerbee

I wonder how many people will be buying them back once Uncharted 3 arrives?

Seriously, the PSN outage is annoying, but it’s hardly the end of the world, is it? I’ve actually kind of enjoyed playing a load of single player stuff for a change. Online shooty games (Killzone 3 mainly) were occupying too much of my time.

I even put the Wii on yesterday to finish off Metroid: Other M. It’s actually a pretty decent game!

Can some people really not live without a Call of Duty fix for a few weeks? That’s actually pretty sad…

43. FedUp

Sony has you “fanboys” wrapped around their finger. Why people feel like they need to be dedicated to a rich company that they give their money to, I don’t know. What I do know is I bought a PS3 for the purpose of entertainment, I didn’t ask sony to marry me so i don’t feel like sony has some sort of place in my heart or whatever B.S. people on here are talking about when they feel like they need to be loyal or somethin.

Anyway, THE PS3 BECAME A BRICK TO ME WHEN THE NETWORK WENT DOWN AS SOON AS I BOUGHT SOCOM 4, MY PERSONAL INFO HAS BEEN JEOPARDIZED, and NO RELIABLE ETA WAS GIVEN, SO I TRADED THE THING AND I WON’T LOOK BACK.

Sure they initially said 2 days so I waited , but then they came back and said a week, that’s when I clued in. I dont know anything about computers but I had a pretty good feeling that to “rebuild” a server that services millions of people they would need more than a week. I think that Sony is simply breaking down the HUGE B.S. TIME FRAME that this will take into smaller “estimates” simply to keep their stupid “fanboys”, and the people that aren’t reading up on this stuff, on edge so they think that the server might have been on any day when really it was weeks from being on. By doing this those people won’t run off and trade their systems.

After trading mine I don’t have to wait for AN HONEST ETA or wonder when the network will be back on, or worry about further attacks on the server that will take my info, or deal with the week of glitches that im willing to bet will follow this whole mess, and now I have a system that provides the same entertainment.

On top of all this though, I still haven’t seen any info regarding compensation for Canadians, which is what I am using this blog for. I didn’t look very hard but I’ve seen ID theft protection for US and I think EU but none for Canada. SURE SONY TAKE YOUR TIME WE CAN ALWAYS GET OUR LIFE SAVINGS BACK NEXT YEAR!! Someone let me know if they see something for Canadians please ha.

44. OrbitMonkey