Quick Shots: Risen 2 screens show off new weapons and special attacks

Thursday, 12th May 2011 15:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Deep Silver has released a few new screenshots for Piranha Bytes’s Risen 2, which show firearms which are new to the series, as well as new special attacks.

In the game, players will be able to switch easily between ranged guns over to melee weapons, which will hopefully help you find any weak spots to exploit in your favor.

One of the special attacks shown in the screens is of the character kicking a giant crab with really nasty teeth over on its back to render them helpless.

Risen 2: Dark Waters will be released on PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. Deep Silver hasn’t announced a release date just yet.

1. YoungZer0

Looking good. As expected we’re going to play the one-eyed man from the trailer.

Knew i was right, unlike some idiot who said we were going to play the hero from the first one again.

2. Gromple

Can’t wait. Although the first one was a bit flawed in some ways, I enjoyed it far more than many other games in recent years.

3. Erthazus

@1, that comment show your capabilities of your brain and knowledge.
    That one-eyed man is the same character that we played before.

the difference now is that he worked for inqusition and then left it. Game is after several years from the first one. That character has given up, and has found consolation in drinking in the end.

I will never respond to you after that comment. I’m wasting my time with such ignorant little schooler. If you have some problems hitting puberty and have questions about this game read “World Of Risen”. They have all that info since march from bunch of previews.

4. YoungZer0

@3: Yeah, that makes totally sense. I remember when the main character lost his eye. Not.

Last time i asked you if we’re going to play this guy and you said “No” that we would play the main character from the last one. Now you’re saying he’s the same guy.

You’re so full of shit, even the flies are complaining you’re too much to handle.

5. Moonwalker1982

I just read a great interview with Piranha Bytes, and they explain why the console version of Risen was so poor, and why/how they won’t make that mistake again.

They have said that during the development of Risen, a console version wasn’t planned. But later on they decided to go with one, and one certain studio offered to make the console version in as short as 8 months.

A quote from it :

Eurogamer: How will the console versions of Risen 2 compare with the PC game?

Michael Hoge: It’s hard to give a final judgment as we’re currently still developing it, but from what I’m seeing right now on our screens, it looks quite close. Our aim is to build an Xbox 360 version that you can’t tell the difference to the PC version on first look.

Eurogamer: Will there be any major differences between PC and consoles either from a technical or gameplay point of view?

Michael Hoge: No, no.

Awesome!!!

6. Schindet Nemo

@4 The main character in Risen lost his eye during the fight with the Endboss.
    I can’t find the link right now but Michael Hoge confirmed in an interview that the guy in RIsen 2 is the same as in the first.
    He just began to drink and became emo or something.

7. YoungZer0

@6: Lol, can’t remember him losing an eye. Only remember that i had to wear an armor and do some jumping instead of real fighting or using the skills that i had acquired.

Hm, thinking about it, can’t remember much of the game at all. Story really left me cold. Anyway, it’s good to hear he’s gone from the regular bald hero to the regular emo hero. But wasn’t his hair Brown? Did he bleach it?

8. Erthazus

@6, He just tired of the work from being in inqusition and in the end started drinking and looking forward for exploring stuff.

Typical cliche stuff from Piranha bytes.

9. Schindet Nemo

@7 The guy on the screenshots looks pretty brunet to me.

@8 That’s a good thing imo.

10. YoungZer0

@9: Looks more black to me. Even if it was brunet, it’s still too dark. He had light brown hair.

11. Moonwalker1982

Damn, who cares about the looks man…this is gonna be one amazing game. PB has made Gothic I and II and Risen and they were fantastic. I don’t count Gothic III cause that one was just,,,,no….just no. I doubt its a 2011 game but thats ok.

12. YoungZer0

@11: “Damn, who cares about the looks man” I do.