Angry Birds catapults into HTML5 and Google Chrome

Thursday, 12th May 2011 05:30 GMT By Jessica Citizen

It really was just a matter of time, but Angry Birds has now made it online, and is completely playable – in HTML 5 – on Google’s Chrome browser.

Angry Birds in Beta on Chrome

The game was revealed at this week’s Google I/O developer conference in San Francisco, where Rovio head honcho Peter Vesterbacka was more than happy to show off the new technology.

Previously, Vesterbacka explained that the company “didn’t want to compromise on performance” – but now, the technology is all there.

Angry Birds is a web-based app that lives happily in the Google Chrome Web Store – right now, the ‘beta’ version is free and just waiting for you to drop by. There are special Chrome-only levels, and even Chrome-specific elements including Chrome flowers, clouds and rocks.

Rovio plan on using in-app payments to sell its premium levels, with Google allowing developers to keep a chunky 95% of the sale price of their apps.

Thanks for the info, CNET!

1. onlineatron

Isn’t this thing dead yet?

It’s the Charlie Sheen of videogames.

2. Phoenixblight

Is Tetris dead yet? No
    Just because you don’t like it means that it needs to “die”. I am able to play now because I don’t have one those those fancy expensive phones or Ipad.

3. darrito

Well, it is on PC @ #2 > http://www.appup.com/applications/applications-Angry+Birds

But I guess it would better to have a HTML 5 version

4. Blerk

I’ve never actually played it, so I’m looking forward to finally having a go! :-)

5. mathare92

That was my first go as well.

Honestly, besides the sorta charming artwork, how is this so much different than the thousands of other physics-based flash titles (many of which are probably even more fun) available on the net?

Strange how Peter Vesterbacka was included in the last Time 100, and Notch (Minecraft) wasn’t.