“Serious” ICO to quiz Sony over PSN data theft

Wednesday, 27th April 2011 12:06 GMT By Johnny Cullen

The Information Commissioner’s Office is set to talk to Sony after it was announced by the company last night that personal data was taken from millions of PSN users following an “external intrusion” into the network by hackers.

“The Information Commissioner’s Office takes data protection breaches extremely seriously,” ICO told Eurogamer.

“Any business or organisation that is processing personal information in the UK must ensure they comply with the law, including the need to keep data secure.

“We have recently been informed of an incident which appears to involve Sony. We are contacting Sony and will be making further enquiries to establish the precise nature of the incident before deciding what action, if any, needs to be taken by this office.”

ICO will investigate if Sony did enough in protecting personal data of PSN users and question the company over the potential theft of credit card information to millions of network users.

1. viralshag

That doesn’t sound good for Sony. I suggest they start lubing up for a rather unpleasant future…

2. Blerk

What will Yorda be doing in the meantime?

3. Benjo1981

If they’re found culpable, they’ll need more than lube.

4. viralshag

^ Something to bite down on too?

5. Erthazus

This is going to be a battle for the brand.

6. Benjo1981

That..and a gimp mask.

To think, E3 is in a few weeks…I wonder how Tretton will play it. Gonna be difficult for him to come out with his usual smarm after this..

7. Erthazus

@Benjo1981, if they will fix it in the week, Jack Tretton will come out and say:hey guys, we are cool

8. viralshag

As bad as this is, I can see it being forgotten and forgiven six months after PSN resumes and people are back playing their games like normal. A few good exclusive titles such as inFamous 2 and Uncharted 3 and this will be water under the bridge, in my opinion.

Unless of course 70 million people actually do have fraudulent activity on their accounts… I could then understand people being pissed a little bit longer…

9. Benjo1981

“Hey guys, we’re cool. We’re just being investigated for negligence regarding all your personal data. No worries, buy our console”

10. Benjo1981

More than likely. Hopefully they’ll be a bit less arrogant though, that’s all I hope for. The arrogance isn’t pretty.

11. xD3S1x

Cross Game Chat?

12. Lounds

everyone sue sony

13. NeoSquall

@12 everyone sue Gearge Hotz and his scum.

14. DigitalEnemy

@ 11 – Lets hope thats a legit post and not a hoax. If this is true and they do add Cross Game Chat & Video Chat to the service, this would really help gain some happy customers back!

15. Erthazus

@11, if this is really true and not some bullshit then everyone will forgive Sony.

16. Alakratt

Even I have to admit…SHIT JUST GOT REAL!

17. reask

LOL prior to that link x chat was nothing special.
    Just goes to show.
    Imagine Halo went to PS3. ;)

18. Blerk

That forum post from Sony just reeks of hoax. :-D

19. Rosseu

Quoted from a blog:

“Some close friends (in Japan) got contacted by Sony who put in place a Call Center regarding the recent PSN Hack. These friends called the Call Center, and where advised to call their bank and cancel their credit card. When asked, the bank agreed that this was a wise move.

Although Sony didn’t officially admit that credit card numbers have been stolen during this intrusion, this is probably a security measure from them. Better safe than Sony (huhu) as they say. So unless you have very very good reasons to not cancel your credit card, this might be a wise move.

What’s even more confusing is that I personally didn’t get any email, although I have 2 different email addresses and credit cards registered on their website… Are Sony sending this only to a few users whose account got compromised, or just sending the emails progressively? Is google’s spam filter playing tricks on me?”

20. Syrok

@19: Probably takes a while to send a few million e-mails, even if it is an automated process. I mean even if they send out beta codes to a few thousand people it can sometimes take a day or two.

21. KAP

Hmmmm… how ironic.

22. DigitalEnemy

@ 18 its not hoax, Sony is anwering questions over at Engadget

Look at dicussion thread page 5 onwards, and especially page 6 just over half way down Sony said post mentioning XGC etc etc

23. reask

I have just been on to my cc co and he said there were no transactions other than my own.
    He said to monitor it for a few days and if nothing happens it should be ok.
    I imagine ps transactions are been tagged by there own security now.
    Just my take.

24. Blerk

Hmm… watching it ‘for a few days’ really isn’t sufficient given that the data could basically be out there forever. It’s going to take them a hell of a long time to get through 77 million records even if they don’t decide to sit on it for a while until the heat dies down.

I’d cancel and get new cards anyway, regardless of what they say.

25. Tallon 4

ICO and the Bad Guardian?

26. reask

I mean what do you do Blerk?
    I have phoned Sony and cc co.
    As far as I am concerned now if anything happens its there loss.
    In Ireland you are charged 40 Euro by gov just for having a cc.
    So if I have to get a new one its my cost.
    No way hose. :)

27. OlderGamer

Wife and I were going to switch banks anyways, so I guess now is a good of a time as any.

But basicly what Blerk said I think. Have them issue a new card, and put it in your records that you made them aware of the possible problem.

28. Blerk

Blimey, that’s a bit rough, reask. Sony should reimburse you that cost.

Of course, providing it’s actually a credit and not a debit card then you’ll be perfectly fine even if someone does decide to rip it off, but all the same – it’s hassle and worry. I think I’d have to get new cards, regardless.

29. reask

Part of me is saying that Blerk.
    I hate and love modern technology in equal amounts.

Its great till it goes wrong and then you are left talking to robots on phones for about 3 years.

My I tunes has been down on my main PC for about 12 months.
    When I finally got the courage to ring Apple I spent about 2 hours following the e mail instructions to no avail.
    Real Time player would not come out.
    Needles to say I am still using my laptop for access. :(

30. Alakratt

Was the “serious” added to the title because it wasn’t getting enough hits? VG247 lol, you guys are too much!

31. TheWulf

No, I don’t think so.

I’m never buying anything on PSN again and I would strongly suggest that everyone think the same way, and this is the thinking of someone who’s invested in security.

Sony are not interested in security. That’s a fact.

What are Sony interested in? Law.

They think that suing hackers will make all their problems go away, but do you actually think that they’re going to hire in top of the line security experts to fix all their junk for them? The best you can hope for is a jury-rigged solution that will hold out for a little while.

Not even Nintendo has fucked up this badly. And if you go back to buying stuff on PSN, or even thinking of using your credit card (or similar) there ever again, then you’re a fool and you deserve everything you have coming to you.

32. beast313

This just makes Sony do what everyone knew they would have to do once the root keys and such was published. They probably didn’t want to take the PSN offline and inconvenience customers for the time frame they are taking now. I would think they know have the chance to rewrite the net code they were using as well as the root keys and white list for games. Secure these vulnerable places they know are being targeted and how they are being targeted. Have a cumulative redesign of their system network in the same fashion as Microsoft with Live in 2007.

33. chriswhaaat

@31 Really? I’m still going to be using my PS3, however once the network comes back online I am taking down my CC info and using PSN cards from now on. I’m still going to buy Uncharted 3 when it comes as well as Twisted Metal. I will continue to use my crackbox for any multi-platform games.