Red-faced Sony confirms PSN shut down over hacking

Saturday, 23rd April 2011 07:59 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Sony has finally confirmed the inevitable: this week’s extended PSN outage was due to an “external intrusion”.

Speaking on the PS Blog in what will no doubt be a deeply embarrassing admission, SCEA comms head Patrick Seybold said Sony made the decision to take PSN offline after it was hacked earlier this week.

“An external intrusion on our system has affected our PlayStation Network and Qriocity services,” he said.

“In order to conduct a thorough investigation and to verify the smooth and secure operation of our network services going forward, we turned off PlayStation Network & Qriocity services on the evening of Wednesday, April 20th.

“Providing quality entertainment services to our customers and partners is our utmost priority. We are doing all we can to resolve this situation quickly, and we once again thank you for your patience.

“We will continue to update you promptly as we have additional information to share.”

Both EU and US services were taken offline on Wednesday, with Sony conceding on Thursday that PSN could be down for “days”.

At the time of writing, the European PSN is still offline.

Sony’s network service had recently been the target of hack group Anonymous in relation to legal action against several hackers, but the attacks had ceased due to a user backlash.

The admission the third-parties entered PSN to an extent that Sony was forced to make it unavailable for consumers will be humiliating for the company, and it likely to shock both users and content handlers.

Sony’s online PlayStation systems hold not only gaming-related information, but the addresses and credit card details of millions of users.

PSN has more than 75 million registered accounts worldwide.

This is the first statement Sony has made on the matter since Thursday.

1. Christopher Jack

Pfft, probably some rogue Anonymous members doing this for lulz at the expense of millions of pissed of consumers. Sony may have pissed off a couple of thousand with the optional removal of Other OS but IMO, this is worst because it won’t solve a damn thing.

2. frostquake

I always find it funny that Large Corporations try to hide these type of attacks, wanting their consumers to believe they are invulnerable. Of course, the legal departments always want to keep it hush..hush, due to lawsuits!

Sony could come out and just say, your PSN service is down due to hacking and get the PSN community outraged at the hacking community again, it would make Sony look better anyway!

3. Gekidami

“Rogue Anonymous”? There is not ‘rogue Anonymous’, its Anonymous themselves going back to attacking the customers rather then Sony despite saying they wouldnt anymore, because everything else they tried (sit ins) failed miserably.

They can pretend its not them all they want, put a lame (and suspicious, expecting the attacks to go on, were you Anon?) disclaimer on there site saying ‘Any attacks from now on will be by other groups, not us’, it wont change the fact that it’ll most likely still be by people who consider themselves apart of Anonymous, therefore making this another attack from Anonymous.

4. Yoshi

‘Red-faced Sony confirms PSN shut down over hacking’ :/ Really red-faced? Sounds like we’re trying to praise these pathetic hackers. These hackers are as bad as anyone else. Attacking and effecting the customer +1 for you hackers really, great way to keep the community happy.

5. Christopher Jack

@3, It’s not entirely fair to stereotype an entire group by a couple of it’s members. While I do not agree with their Anti-Sony regime, they occasionally do fight the good fight but those 4chan members who do it all just for the lulz are truly pathetic.
    No group can function without some form of an hierarchy, any moronic drone can speak on behalf of Anonymous, even if the majority disagree with him/her/it.

6. frostquake

Attacking a “Free Service”, well unless your a PSN Plus subscriber, then I guess they may give you a free “Theme”???

I know the Hackers don’t have the support of the community, when they are really attacking the customers.

7. nikk900

I don’t think this is embarrassing for sony, more annoying. Damn hackers!

8. OrbitMonkey

Hmmm might be a idea to change my credit card. Don’t want these “hackers” to defend my rights by raping my bank account -_-

9. XDamage

Where can I sign up to be part of the hit squad when they eventually find these fuckers? ;)

10. TD_Monstrous69

I could’ve guessed that it was hacked, seeing as how when I tried to go onto the PSN store on wednesday, a message had popped up saying; error failed to add funds to your account. Same message popped up when I tried to go to my account settings. This kinda pisses me off, seeing as how I had been looking forward to possibly playing Portal 2′s online CO-OP, and brush up a bit on KillZone 3 online multiplayer, as well as maybe even play some Black Ops, because I’m considering trading it in for GameStop store credit (gotta pay for L.A. Noire somehow).

11. tigersaman

hey dudes ! dont forget that hackers are on our side ! they spend hours of they life 2 make your life and gaming easier . and now they are trying to learn sony to not mess with hackers .

12. KrazyKraut

those bastards…what did I say?

13. neon6

It’s fucking /b/ and Geohotz supporters doing it all.Basically, self-entitled pirate scum continuing to ruin everything for paying customers, suffering no repercussions themselves.Microsoft or Nintendo’s online services could easily fall to such an attack should they draw the ire of a large number of teenagers in the bottom fifth percentile amount of intelligence.Nintendo’s pathetic excuse for an online program could probably be taken down by a bumblebee, for all we know.. it’s certainly proven to be nothing but a pile of shit on the Wii.

14. Gekidami

I honestly hope that was sarcasm.

15. NeoSquall

Thank you, Anonymous.
    Fuck you, Anonymous.

I can fight my fight, IF I feel about it. Just mind your own fucking business.

16. OrbitMonkey

@11 If you believe that, or think It makes their actions acceptable, your a cunt.

17. OrbitMonkey

@15 +1

18. Christopher Jack

Let’s just stop stereotyping all hackers based on the actions of a minority.

19. OrbitMonkey

@18 Excuse me? We’re not allowed to vent at Annoymous now?

20. _LarZen_

Gonna need a new fps game soon where we hunt and shoot hackers..need to get some steam out of my system.

21. NeoSquall

@18 If an hacker recognizes himself with Anonymous, they have to suck it when people spit at them.
    They’re Anonymous, so they’re legion, no?

22. neon6

This was posted in a troll thread:
    Why are we behind these guys again?
    Edit: and for some laughs:

23. KrazyKraut

hope they find those fags and sell them to a chinese labor camp. and then..they really know that they fought against the wrong thing.

In Lybia woman are getting raped by Gadaffis mercenary….

but okay..

better hack Sony,

because they just wanted

to protect the console against piracy.

24. Alakratt

“red-faced Sony…”

Couldn’t hold it in huh Patrick? So much for professional journalism.

25. Lehnsherr

Like it was stated before, there is no “rogue Anonymous” they act as a whole. They also take responsibility for what they do. They don’t go about attacking someone and try to hide their involvement, they want everyone to know it was them. I have yet to see anything where they claim responsibility. Anonymous is not the only hacker group out there, this could have been done by several groups. Just saying, not taking Anonymous’ side, just saying don’t blindly throw the blame on them.

26. Lehnsherr

@22 Those are complete troll posts. They crack me up. Anonymous does not rant and rave about Sony hating Nintendo. I LOL’d

27. marijnlems

#24 and others: How is Patrick at fault here? Objectively speaking, this is an embarrassing turn of events for Sony; not only because their security was compromised, but because they turned off PSN themselves and are only admitting as much three days later.
    How does calling Sony “red-faced” imply that Patrick is taking sides, anyway? Please don’t make any qualitative statements about “professional journalism” until you’ve stopped projecting your own preconceptions on neutral statements.

28. Hunam

The massive lack of commnication in situations like this is why the game industry is still stupid. Every one seems to do this, just bury their heads in the sand till the customers give up.

29. Hunam

@24 He could say yellow-faced but I think he might get told off for being racist.

30. Lehnsherr

@28 Agreed. It’s almost like they say “if we turn our head and ignore the issue for long enough, it’s sure to go away.”

31. Mandatory Install

Fucking /b/ and fucking hackers, and fucking journos for reporting this, fucking Nintendo and M$ (BOTH are SHIT and their ONLINE SUCKS)!!!

32. NiceFellow

Thanks wankers. I mean freedom fighters.

Because clearly Sony are oppressing me with their free online service and desire to stop the gaming network I use to play online being opened up for cheaters and abuse (harming my enjoyment of said network) and potential access of my personal details and the playing of illegally pirated games.

Yup. Sony are clearly the evil party here.

33. MegaGeek1

@32, pretty much sums up my sentiments exactly.

34. Hunam

But what about those folks who pay for PS+ or DCUO that can’t access the functions which they expressly pay for? Should they be grateful?

35. viltgance

I was actually thinking about buying a ps3 finally for socom/killzone and a few other games. Lol think maybe ill just turn on my xbox instead. Stop blaming hackers and blame the Execs at Sony, they should have some of the best experts around to be prepared for this(it’s not like hacking is something new)…looks like hackers are smarter than the people that sony is hiring. +1 for Microsoft

36. Christopher Jack

@35, Microsoft is likely just as vulnerable, it took nearly 5 years for the PS3 to be fully hacked compared to the 360 being hacked within only a few months but hacking a server & a console is entirely different to hacking a console.

37. OrbitMonkey

I’m impressed, it wasn’t till post #35 that a troll crawled out from the dirt. I expected the gloating to start waaaay before then. Probably to busy jacking off, high fiving themselves & rofling over this… bless :)

38. aprotosis

@36 – Xbox Live has been a holy grail of sorts for hackers for a while. Hacking the physical console to play backups is not the same thing as attempting to gain access to their network or gaining root access. PSN is pretty much an open door. Really I am more surprised it took this long. With the exception of account access gained through social hacking, Xbox Live has proven to be hack-proof. The crazy security they have is one of the reasons that you don’t see MMOs with PC server access or Steam access through XBL.

39. Christopher Jack

“The crazy security they have is one of the reasons that you don’t see MMOs with PC server access or Steam access through XBL.” That’s actually more to do with their guidelines, XBL is hacked much more frequently than PSN but this time something major has happened.

40. Hunam

I honestly thought XBL would have gotten hacked when GFWL turned up tbh, because that gave the PC access right to XBL.

41. NeoSquall

@32 Indeed.
    I don’t mind Sony shutting down PSN to prevent the wankers from snatching our personal datas.

@34 Don’t be a dumb. It’s almost sure Sony will reward those people with free extensions to cope with the missing days of service.

42. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

43. Hunam

The word you were looking for was compensate, not reward. Your choice of words is quite telling :P

44. osric90

Fun? Ok, we’re more affected here than Sony, so that’s what pirates and hackers do, they do not harm the company itself but US.

45. Hunam

Well this is it. At the end of the day, Sony and the hackers fight is only hurting the legitimate customers. I think we all have every right to be a bit miffed about the whole thing.

46. NeoSquall

@43 Yeah, that’s what I meant. You know, I’m not english born so I can mispell from time to time.

47. reask

Got this on you tube.

Its allegedly from anonymous.

48. Phoenixblight

And you think Sony will come out with a system that will be even more friendly to the customer?…..Yeah Pipe dream I know.

Reask

Anonymous will of course take credit for it whether its their work or not thats the great thing about being anonymous. For all we know it could be a disgruntled employee that just got laid off.

49. Frank17

i never liked sony i think xbox has better exclusive games and i owe a blu ray player so after hearing about all this hacking i feel bad for playstation fan boys. but i gotta get back to the gears beta and play my cod maps early on XBOX LIVE

RIP SONY

50. Gekidami

Apparently Sony are ‘re-building PSN’:

51. Phoenixblight

I thought that would be the case. Makes sense, hackers know your system so what do you do? Rebuild it.

52. komadx

i do not know why sony did not want to Convince
    that the PSN is shut down because it has been hacked