US and EU PSN outage could last “a day or two”, says Sony

Thursday, 21st April 2011 18:00 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The US PS Blog has confirmed that certain PlayStation Network functions are offline, and an update from SCEA’s Patrick Seybold advises that it could last for a day or two.

“We are investigating the cause of the Network outage, we wanted to alert you that it may be a full day or two before we’re able to get the service completely back up and running,” he wrote on the US PS Blog.

“Thank you very much for your patience while we work to resolve this matter. Please stay tuned to this space for more details, and we’ll update you again as soon as we can.”

SCEE has updated the EU PS Blog with the same message.

The extent of the outage is not clear. Users have reported being unable to log into the PlayStation Network from consoles or web pages.

1. G1GAHURTZ

YGWYPF

2. frostquake

This is a Hit or Miss with me here in the USA. It will get an Error, and then I exit and then try again and in signs in, and same with USA Sony Blog…

The 360 and Wii are not having any hiccups at this time for me, so I assume this is a Sony thing, behind the scenes with its ongoing security issues!!

3. KrazyKraut

if Anonymous was this…

“hide your pcs”
    “Hide yourself”
    “We are looking for you!”
    “We gon find you”

4. Iliad

It’s a good job PSN is free otherwise this would be completely unacceptable – the PSN servers seem to be going down a hell of a lot. I don’t get these problems with Xbox Live (and frequent system updates) – it may cost me £40 a year (11p a day), but it works, has better audio chat and party chat, which is worth the money alone! Sony, sort your shit out.

5. Blerk

I was having trouble even looking at the blog last night – really slow response times. Sounds like they might be under attack again.

6. Patrick Garratt

I’ve updated it. They’re saying it’s just maintenance on the EU side.

7. Vistrix

@Iliad It feels like Xbox Live goes down more so than the PSN network. although lately PSN does seem to be down more.

If someone did a graph I’m sure you’d find Xbox Live is offline more than PSN…

8. Rosseu

Same here, it’s a pain in the ass to log in to psn. You have to try like 5 times to be able to login. What is happening to sony’s servers?

9. Psychotext

“If someone did a graph I’m sure you’d find Xbox Live is offline more than PSN”

In the early days I reckon that would probably be right (especially when you consider “that xmas”).

Not now though.

10. reask

I wish they would get it sorted one way or the other.

11. Nozz

It would be funny if they were testing out a certain “highly requested feature” and then unleashed it onto the public once this maintenance ends.

/optimist

EDIT: OK so I just put SOCOM in the ps3 and it updated to version 1.02.. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON?

12. strikkebil

its easter in us/eu and everyone wanna play, get this sorted asap.

13. XDamage

Hmm. This is taking too long. :(

14. reask

Any update Pat?
    This is ridiculous now.
    Sony need to tell us when they expect it to be up and running.

15. Patrick Garratt

As far as I can see there’s no update, no. I really do have no idea what’s going on with this.

16. Patrick Garratt

I’ve just mailed SCEE.

17. XDamage

If this really is the work of hackers or some other third party, then they need to tell the truth to the customers. (I see they hinted at it in the latest update)

I want to play Portal 2 co-op damnit! :D

18. PSN down again

SCEA says the following

While we are investigating the cause of the Network outage, we wanted to alert you that it may be a full day or two before we’re able to get the service completely back up and running. Thank you very much for your patience while we work to resolve this matter. Please stay tuned to this space for more details, and we’ll update you again as soon as we can.

19. daytripper

according to that its a problem in japan thats causing it

20. Iliad

@Vistrix Sure it’s not your broadband that goes down. I’ve not lost Xbox Live services since that ill-fated Christmas hols overload 2 or 3 of years ago. And that was less than 24 hours as I recall.

21. Bellisner

Does anyone know another way of verifying Portal 2 via PSN so I can get it on my PC?

22. monty12345

Giantbomb.com servers down also..

What’s the world coming to? :0

23. reask

Jeez thats a bummer.
    I was just about to unlock my sta52 silver medal LOL.
    Ah well I might hit xbox live for the weekend.

24. Christopher Jack

I believe this has something to do with the state Japan is in, I don’t think it has anything to do with that cult Anonymous but I could be wrong…
    A shame too since I was looking forward to playing some Assassins Creed: Brotherhood online :(

25. oljemannen

Please moderate the fanboy comments, vg247. Remember that PSN is free, no need to go fanboy mode. It’s incredibly stable to be free, there’s around 50 mill users, what do you expect? Please go outside and get some air.

Lets say thanks to todays “superheroes” Anonymous.. i support them in some cases, but this is quite annoying.

26. L.O.R.D

@22,i think Anonymous was inspired by the arabian outrage
    soon ,all the world will be in rage :D

27. lexph3re

Interesting when psn goes down xbl gives a free gold weekend.lol well this really isn’t a big deal to me I’ve been playing heavy rain and loving it and I don’t need online for that. I do feel bad for our CoD junkies withdrawls might make them drop about 400 bucks just to play.lol I kid I kid. But seriously I rather them take 2 days to fix this problem then to bitch that its down. I’m gonna play free online the rest of the 363 days outta the year.

I might as well get started on star ocean now that I don’t have half my list challeging me in mvc3 or ssf4

28. reask

Hmm Lex what a strange response.
    But surely the free weekend on live is just a showcase of what you are missing for the other 363 days.

I mean I couldn’t party chat all day because PSN was down, OOps the free one doesn’t do that, my bad.

I couldnt join a session in progress with a previously met player either,
    OOps PSN doesn’t do that.

In fact PSN doesnt do lots of things besides been offline.
    Free is free and fair play to Sony for that but as the old saying goes you get what you pay for. ;)

29. drewbles82

I’ve had my xbox360 since it came out, the only times ive never been able to get on live is cuz of my dad downloading way 2 much.
    As for it being FREE this wkend, maybe because its the Easter holidays, they often do free weekends in holidays.

30. Telepathic.Geometry

It’s been down in Japan here for a few days too. WTF is going on?

31. lexph3re

Lol @ reask that actually. Made me laugh. But, seriously as I said 363 days of playing games. If I want to call someone ill pick up my cell phone.lol cross chat is certainly a fun perk. However its not a game changer. I’m able to use my mic and cell phone just as easily. And as a free service I love it. Free video conference, voice chat, text chat, web browser, online gaming and access to my already existing services such as netflix. I don’t know man I think its a hell of a free bargain.lol

And the free online weekend was a point at the irony of the situation. No “fanboy conspiracy theory” ms is out for sony.lol when psn is up it’ll be up as long as this doesn’t go past 4days or a week ill manage. I still in the end just want to play my games and I have about 50 offline games I. Can still fully enjoy

32. reask

@ Lex
    Fair enough I was been ott a little bit.
    Last few weeks has been sporadic though and I wish they would get it sorted sooner rather than later.
    Anyway its given me time to try and finish KZ3 on elite. :)
    Easier said than done I’m afraid. :(

33. lexph3re

I unfortunately have to finish kz2 before I get my kz3. I let my friend borrow it about 7 months ago. Hopefully the networks up soon because I have a ton of trophies I want to post to my facebook soon to brag to my friends.lol

34. Christopher Jack

I’ve been forced to play Borderlands on my PC but it keeps crashing, fix it ASAP Sony!!!

35. gbierwerth1512

sony u seriously need to hurry up, u cant just shut off psn and then not tell us whats happening

36. Mike

Remember: it’s free.

37. KillerDD

Maybe it became self-aware and decided it didn’t want to serve humankind any longer!

38. reask

Well I just got the completionist trophy on kz3 and finished it on elite so 3 more easy ones for my second platinum.
    So it had its advantages going down actually. :)

Any word when its back?

39. lexph3re

Nope but it does have a nice maintenece message up now.lol I’m atleast playing the crap outta mass effect 2 now.

40. reask

Would be nice if it had nothing to do with hackers and a few new nice features were introduced.

Mind you I am missing my kz3 multi as I was really enjoying it.
    I actually played a couple of bot matches today, now that is sad. :)
    I was the top player in the matches of course. on easy.

41. lexph3re

Ouch that does hurt a bit. I would like to see some new features. Perhaps a pimped out xmb for the people who hate the current. I would like to see skype functionality, or if this is a recovery process from japan I would like to see that too.lol