New Mass Effect 3 details flood from GI cover issue

Monday, 11th April 2011 09:54 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Tons of new Mass Effect 3 details have emerged from the latest issue of Game Informer.

Again: SPOILERS.

These snippets gives us a preview of some of the game’s core gameplay elements and detail more story aspects, which pan out depending on choices you made in the previous two titles.

Halt, before looking below: this article contains several story spoilers.

OK?

It’s been confirmed that humans won’t be the only species which can be husk-ifed in ME3. As previously reported, the game starts off with the Reapers assaulting earth, but the invading force can be defeated.

Key plot elements will reveal why the Reapers can be beaten, but developers don’t want to talk about that until the game is out.

They also don’t want the Reapers’ Achilles heel to be obvious from the start. Apparently there are going to be a bunch of red herrings, and the game will start with you facing an apparently hopeless situation before slowly working out what needs to be done.

It’s also been revealed that TIM has sent some of his top agents to kill Shepard. You can expect the combat to be much harder, with melee attacks having more focus. Shooting specific armor parts will produce different results in the game.

There’s a larger skill-tree on offer, and you can expect the RPG elements to be more integrated. There will be multiple ways to obtain species’ loyalty, and you won’t only be restricted to obtaining them via quests.

Some of the decisions you took in ME 1 will have a grave effect in Mass Effect 3. For example, if you had spared the Rachni, you’re going to know about it. There are no railroads to the end of the game: you will be offered multiple options to take back earth.

You can read the previously revealed details, about the game over here.

Mass Effect 3 releases this fall for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360.

1. Blerk

lol, he doesn’t sound quite so mysterious and dangerous when you shorten his name to ‘TIM’, does he? :-D

Not so sure about a larger emphasis on melee combat, tbh. It’ll be nice to see the Rachni again, though – I knew that was a good move! :-)

2. BloodyJoe

All I wan’t is dead Reapers and a lot of little Shepards with Miranda!

3. NeoSquall

@1 Yeah, I also spent a few seconds trying to understand WHO was TIM :P

Anyways, I sense that people will bash ME3 because the story sounds dumbed down when they’ll read “Apparently there are going to be a bunch of red herrings, and the game will start with you facing an apparently hopeless situation before slowly working out what needs to be done.”

Also, they’ll cry about the utter death of the original Mass Effect’s RPG element when they’ll read “You can expect the combat to be much harder, with melee attacks having more focus. Shooting specific armor parts will produce different results in the game.

You’ll be able to pick up enemy weapons in ME3. The battlefields are also going to be much larger, with more varied combat than in previous games.”
    I tell you they’ll say “boohoooo, they turned Mass Effect into an action TPS!”

They’ll even brush aside this part of the text “There’s a larger skill-tree on offer, and you can expect the RPG elements to be more integrated. There will be multiple ways to obtain species’ loyalty, and you won’t only be restricted to obtaining them via quests.” saying it’s dumbed down too.

They did it for Dragon Age II (which has its bad points, but also good ones) and I expect they’ll do it for Mass Effect 3 too.

4. wiking

@2 Sorry to tell you this but Miranda isn’t able to oblige in that department. Found that out in the Shadow Broker DLC

5. kupocake

The only way that TIM’s unconditional turning against you makes sense for 100% of Shepards is if he was a Reaper all along. Which in itself, would be incredibly stupid no matter how far that terrible end boss suggested an agenda for human supremacy.

Here’s hoping that this is just early reporting and it’ll turn out that Cerberus can be friendly depending on your approach in ME2.

6. NeoSquall

@5 I think TIM might turn on Shepard if he turns against him. This may be achieved in ME2 by destroying the station in the final mission (he doesn’t seem to appreciate much) or by turning at some point in the first part of ME3, while Shepard would just come back to Earth and defend it while TIM would ignore it because he’s too interested in undestanding the station to use it against the Reapers themselves.

7. viralshag

@5, I was thinking the exact same thing. I’m pretty sure in at least one of my endings myself and TIM were on good terms… When I heard he was going to be after me I was a bit like wtf?

“Sheperd, I spent billions, yes billions of credits putting you back together. I spent even more on a new Normandy, funding your trip around the galaxy and all the thermal clips you could want. Now I don’t know what you do with billion credit investments where you’re from… but where I come from we… er… kill you?”