Planetside Next delayed, dev team possible expanded

Sunday, 3rd April 2011 23:53 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Planetside Next will see a delayed release, but benefit from increased investment – contrary to current trends at Sony Online Entertainment.

“Planetside Next is getting more resources and will be out a little later in the year,” SoE president John Smedley told Planetside Universe.

“But we are pulling out all the stops to make it great.”

The writer who spoke to Smedley interpreted the statement as suggesting the game’s development team is set to expand.

A producer’s letter with more details is expected shortly.

Last week, SoE confirmed rumours of massive layoffs, with one third of staff let go, three studio closures, and the cancellation of The Agency.

Planetside Next is the sequel to 2003′s Planetside, SoE’s successful MMO shooter, and is expected late this year.

Thanks, Big Download.

1. Erthazus

Something tells me that this game is going to be cancelled.

It’s already delayed without proper announcement… Oh Sony, Sony…

2. deathgaze

^ This.

All signs point toward cancellation or being delayed by a year or more. They haven’t shown us any screen shots, any trailers or shown any reporters the game in private. All we’ve seen is a few character and vehicle models. The game was supposed to come out this summer and they expect us to believe the game exists, somehow.

It’s a shame too. I loved PlanetSide and was really looking forward to this project. PlanetSide was unique when it came out and, in some respects still is. Too bad the project smells like vaporware.

3. DSB

I don’t see any logic in what you guys are saying.

They’re saying they’re upping the team, and you deduct from that that it’s cancelled? Errr, what? They want to make sure they pay severance to as many employees as possible, when the company is already in trouble? I guess they could be outsourcing, but it would be pretty unlikely at this point that they aren’t betting the company on this.

Fact is they haven’t even named the game, and I can’t imagine that this won’t be delayed, but I fail to see what SOE has going for it these days, if not this – Everquest, DC Universe? Yeah, right.

When the first Planetside launched, the FPS was certainly popular, as it always has been, but it was nowhere near the monster it is today. If they drop this project, they’re simply dumb as shit, since the label of “FPS MMO” (seemingly with a few Mass Effect touches, according to the concept art) will pretty much sell itself.

Also, I NEED this game, damn it.

4. deathgaze

DSB: I feel your pain. I really want to be proven wrong. But the fact of the matter is that I think it’s totally fair to say what I said. We really don’t have any definitive evidence that the game exists beyond what SOE is saying.

5. DSB

I know, and it is totally fair, but really, what future does SOE have without it?

DC Universe is great according to people who play it, but it has no staying power in my opinion, it’s just too niche. And Everquest has been in obscurity since WoW came along, people will still play it, but enough to base a company on that alone?

They haven’t said anything to suggest a scrap, and really this speaks for the opposite. They’ve just been very reluctant to start hyping the game, and it probably wouldn’t have been confirmed if it hadn’t been for stubborn journalists and an excited insider jumping the gun.

If it’s heading for the heap, then they don’t really have a future, and I don’t really buy it. They have talent and potential, and I think SOE needs this as bad as I do :P

6. deathgaze

DSB: I think we can find common ground, there. These cutbacks recently amount to a major restructuring of SOE. Something happened. Something big. I can surmise that some ultimatum came down from the Sony brass. It probably looked like this: “Get profitable or get gone.”

SOE hadn’t released it’s numbers in awhile. When a developer isn’t tooting it’s horn about it’s numbers, that’s usually bad news. It’d probably be a fair assumption to make that, amongst the 30+ games that they’re probably running right now, a good number are not profitable or faltering.

DC Universe didn’t have much going for it, either. And I’d be willing to bet that Free Realms isn’t doing too hot. Based on the projects left in development, I’d be willing to bet that the only games that are still profitable would be PlanetSide and EverQuest (the original, not the sequel).

7. onlineatron

I like the whole ‘this game doesn’t exist officially but here’s everything about it’ tact.

Makes a refreshing change from the usual ‘You know it exists BUT WE SAY NOTHING’ approach.

8. DSB

@6 Yeah, that’s pretty much my take on it :)

I’d say that if they were going to dump Planetside, the time to do it would’ve been the last call where Agent was cut as well.

Maybe I’m a forced optimist on this one, but I just don’t think they’ve started hyping it yet. Pretty much all the information to get out has been looked to me like fan service.