PlayStation emulator yanked from Android marketplace

Wednesday, 30th March 2011 23:22 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The powers that be have pulled PSOne emulator PSX4Droid from the Android Marketplace. I wonder if it has anything to do with a certain platform launching shortly?

Pocket Gamer reports the application has been removed for “content violation”.

PSX4Droid had spent an unmolested six months on the marketplace with nary a warning.

Developer zodttd (also responsible for that N64 emulator) suspects the imminent launch of the Xperia Play, Sony’s flagship Android for the PlayStation Suite, is behind the app’s removal.

A rival PSOne emulator, the mysteriously names fpse, is still available – although probably not for long.

The Xperia Play will have a staggered international launch beginning April 1.

1. Lounds

I think I’ll Jail break this phone when I get it… I want to play FF7 & 9 on this phone plus Pokemon

2. Ireland Michael

I’m surprised it took this long.

I’ve never used it, but I’ve known of this app since its launch.

3. FrankieDF

#1
    It is an android phone, you can do all those things without have to jailbreak it.

4. Christopher Jack

@1, SE has opened up the bootloader, so no hacking needed.
    @3, While Android maybe an open OS, it’s not normally THAT open, except SE changed that with for their new brand of phones, seems that SE are taking Android more seriously than any other mobile manufacturer.

5. fortelv999

@1&4:

even with locked bootloader you can install the emulator, just get the .apk (installation file format for those who don’t know android)… only case i know of you can’t do that is on at&t phones on the U.S. and even then you can bypass that without even rooting :)

long story short, on android you are not “enslaved” to the official app store or market, whatever you call it

6. freedoms_stain

Yep, Android phones are generally not locked to the Google run Android Market, if the apk file is anywhere on the internet then you’re one check box away from installing it.

As an aside I did root and install a custom mod on my Desire and it pwns the stock HTC-Tmobile rom.

7. Lightmanone

Wow! This mobile is awesome.. if it was launched 3 years ago.

Ontopic though: Only now the emulator has been pulled? Sony? really? what have you been doing the other 6 months? Weren’t you the one that was so suing the crap out of everyone and anyone who would infringe your copyright?

Like this mobile will ever survive.. I think this will sell even less then the PSPgo. That was also a failure. We’ll see..

8. DeathJynx

@7 stop with worthless trollism. You are far from clever.