UK charts: Crysis 2 takes top spot from Homefront

Monday, 28th March 2011 09:16 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Crytek’s Crysis 2 has taken the top spot in this week’s UK charts from THQ shooter Homefront, with four 3DS launch titles setting up shop in the top ten.

Sales of the EA title were mostly dominent on 360 with 58 percent of sales compared to PS3′s 27 percent and PC’s 14 percent, the latter not including digital sales.

Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars takes second, while Homefront drops to third from first.

3DS launch titles also faired well in the top ten, with Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition in fourth being the best of the lot. Pilotwings Resort and Rayman 3D also get a mention in the top ten at sixth and ninth.

It’s unknown how well the hardware did as yet, though.

Top ten for the week ending March 26 is below. Last week’s data is here.

1. Crysis 2 (Crytek, EA)
  2. Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars (Travellers Tales, LucasArts)
  3. Homefront (Kaos Games, THQ)
  4. Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition (Capcom, Capcom)
  5. Pokemon White (Nintendo, Nintendo)
  6. Pilotwings Resort (Nintendo, Nintendo)
  7. Pokemon Black (Nintendo, Nintendo)
  8. The Sims: Medieval (EA, EA)
  9. Rayman 3D (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)
  10. FIFA 11 (EA Sports, EA)

1. Robo_1

Great result for Crysis and 3DS software.

2. Johnny Cullen

Well deserved for Crytek and EA. I was skeptical of Crysis 2, even after playing a decent multiplayer at gamescom last year, but it’s proved me wrong. Been playing it all weekend and it’s a great game. It’s only stopped from being brilliant by a couple of rough edges, but otherwise a great shooter.

Seems to be on course, actually, to be my favourite game this year actually, albeit there’s been a lack of games this year that I’ve actually liked (bar Bulletstorm, but I haven’t finished that yet, so that don’t count).

3. strikkebil

played a bit of crysis 2, didnt grab me. now replaying ME2 :/

4. viralshag

@3, How strange, I started playing Crysis 2 on Friday but also started another playthrough of ME2 which took up the whole weekend. Spooky…

5. YoungZer0

@4: That really is strange, after finishing Crysis 2 and being incredibly disappointed by the presentation of the story and characters, i was thinking about going back to ME2.

6. T_L_T

Good to see the PC had 14% of retail sales, combined with digital I reckon it’d match the PS3!

7. kupocake

“Crytek’s Crysis 2 has taken the top spot in this week’s UK charts from fellow THQ shooter Homefront”
    I know you guys know Crysis 2 isn’t a THQ shooter, but that’s what this sentence says.

8. Grimrita

Good to see Total War:Shogun 2 drop like a stone. Unfinished poor product.

I didnt buy a boxed copy of Crysis, got it from steam instead. digital sales need to start being included.

9. Christopher Jack

@7, JC should know it, probably just poor grammar.

10. DSB

@8 I’m getting a lot of funny reports about Shogun.

It’s incredible that we’re in the millionth iteration of the series, and the AI is still only concerned about the frontline. They send every major army to the furthest outposts, even though they’re outgunned, which effects that if you break one of the cities on the front, you can roll over their entire empire. No reserves. That’s just uninspired and sad.

Also, the fact that you’re punished for doing well by being jumped by every other faction of the map – Great. That’s what you want.

I’m still doing my second playthrough of Empire. It’s amazing that it’s still so unpatched, and sad to think of how awesome it could’ve been if it had been finished.

11. Grimrita

I loved Empire. It was so vast and offered incredible replayability value. Shogun is a Total Mess. Hell, they havent even launched the game with full AA or dx11 support – thats coming ‘in a patch’ – despite all the bullshots and review scores.

Its such a shame to see the series fall from grace and turn into a simple cash cow for Sega. Fans deserve better and have spoken out by not buying the game as a day 1 purchase.

Regarding ETW, visit http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1167 and look the DarthMod – its excellent. He is currently working on one for Shogun 2.

12. Johnny Cullen

@9, @7 Yeah, it was meant to imply it was a fellow shooter, not a fellow THQ game. I’ve tweaked it anyways.

13. xavdeman

Nice! Good job Crytek!

Homefront is just a CoD clone, but not even a good one.
    Graphics are ok on the surface, but then you notice the terrible animations, and that characters don’t really interact with their environments. Everything is static, nothing is dynamic. Physics are non-existant. Try tossing a grenade, wtf? Try opening a door yourself, nope, have to wait for your teammates.

If this is the direction FPS games are going, and I think some are, looking at Medal of Honor, where you were just a mindless spectator too, then I am not happy about that. I’d rather have CoD or Battlefield, where you’re afforded some freedom. Especially Battlefield, can’t wait for BF3.

14. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Also very much enjoying Crysis 2

15. Stardog

@10 & @11 – The series has been a cash cow since every release after Rome. I’m surprised you all buy it year after year.

16. ManuOtaku

And some people are still insisting the FPS genre is crowded, those positions says otherwise, and one of them is a brand new IP, the other is almost a brand new IP, of course on consoles, so i think they will be plenty of FPS in the years to come. for better or worst that depends on the point of view.

17. blackdreamhunk

crysis was dumb down for consoles proof right here

18. blackdreamhunk

here is another link proving that crysis 2 is really dumb down for consoles

the game does not even feel like crysis

19. lexph3re

I’m personally disappointed with crysis2 but I’m gonna enjoy it regardless being a full retail purchase

20. DSB

@Grimrita

Holy crap, that looks amazing. At least someone is trying to patch their games :P

Thanks a lot for the tip!

21. IL DUCE

@blackdreamhunk I don’t doubt it was but it’s just a shooter, Crysis 2 is just fine

22. Dimacorgan

I was seriously disappointed by Crysis 2 (own the PS3 version, even though as far as consoles are involved there ain’t no big difference)…
    - the story is completely dumb, you don’t feel any connection to the character (great name btw) nor this Gould guy that keeps on sending you here and there for “no reason”;
    - the enemies are the most generic/uninteresting I’ve fought in ages. Street soldiers with no personality at all, plus in every area you are bound to find some that run in circles/into walls. This is not happening only occasionally, I’ve seen that in almost EVERY location;
    -Aliens: poor design. “oh yeah, let’s put a lot of eyes in them!” “Yeah, and you know what?! TENTACLES!” “You’re a genious!!” (-_-)
    -The graphics are actually the best thing in the game, but they don’t serve an inspired artistic design, so it ends up being a detailed world, you aren’t even interested in.

23. Dimacorgan

Plus the multiplayer has some interesting ideas, but:
    - graphics are a WHOLE LOT WORSE;
    - it feels like you’re shooting BB guns. No sense of power at all. That is what I like the most in games like KZ3 (btw, COD4 had it much more than its lucky sequels, which kinda feel like Crysis 2 – or other way around).
    Did I mention that it was a big let down for me?
    (ok, it’s not horrible, but the incredibly high expectations built up by the developers themselves ended up ditching the game)