Amazon: 3DS pre-orders 71% higher than PS3′s

Wednesday, 23rd March 2011 13:59 GMT By Patrick Garratt

After saying last week that 3DS was its most pre-ordered hardware of all time, Amazon UK’s confirmed that the Nintendo handheld is 71 percent ahead of the previous record holder, PS3.

3DS, which launches in Europe on Friday and in the US on Sunday, has 71 percent more pre-orders placed at Amazon UK than PS3 PS3 did prior to its launch in early 2007, MCV reports.

The console is a giant 407 percent ahead of predecessor DSi in 2009.

“It’s unusual for a handheld console to attract this amount of excitement in the run up to launch,” said Amazon UK’s Chris Poad.

“Such high levels of interest are normally reserved for the play-at-home hardware like the ground-breaking Nintendo Wii and last year’s Microsoft Kinect.”

Hit this for full details of 3DS’s western launch this weekend.

1. ManuOtaku

Sorry but……. we are now comparing apples with oranges….hummmmmm…

2. Crysis

Aww, I don’t want this gimmick to catch on, sooner or later this technology will be forced upon me inflating the price of what could have been. Hope the fad dies out soon or at least only attracts a cult following, well until it’s actually good, the 3DS is meh at best IMO…

I guess I’ll have to let time decide on how good it’ll be down the line, right now it’s not worth it IMO.

3. Goffee

Christ, back then most people just went to a shop. Pre-ordering will be on the rise for years to come as more folk get used to online shopping, lazier about fighting through crowds and less worried about spending money online.

4. Schindet Nemo

The Metal Gear Solid 3 remake is the only thing about the 3DS that interests me. Not enough to justify the 249€ purchase.

5. Syrok

In other news, on people buy 127% more ice cream than strawberries every year.

6. Erthazus

@2, at least it’s better then Xperia Play shit in everything.

7. Connor O'Michael

Flame-bait article.

TELL US HOW IT COMPARES TO PRE ORDERS OF NAVY SOCKS AND FOOD WHISKS.

8. Crysis

@6, It’s just a mobile phone with a control pad, what’s your problem with it? If you’re a graphics whore wait for the possible third iteration when it’ll have a quad core processor & a more powerful GPU or when Sony *officially* combines the might of the PSP2 with the impressive Android OS, it has a Mic on it so I see no reason why it won’t be able to make calls with the right SIM in it, my carrier has a 2-in-1 SIM that I can simply detach(no cutting needed!) & shove into something like an iPad.
    Now I know what you’re doing so stop trying to stir me just because I made clear intentions that I’m interested in a product you don’t like.

9. StolenGlory

“3DS, which launches in Europe on Friday and in the US on Sunday, has 71 percent more pre-orders placed at Amazon UK than PS3 PS3 did”.

Sloppy editing is sloppy.

10. mogulmedia

You lot need to take a chill pill!

11. revsoul

The strangest thing about this article is that the PS3 was the former record holder.

I don’t remember reading or hearing anything about that.

12. FredEffinChopin

@8 His problem is that he is on a life mission to shit on anything having to do with Sony. I’ve seen some sad cases over the years, but this guy is hopelessly bent on hating their products, no matter what.

Hate first, rationalize later, if ever. That’s his philosophy. He’s best left ignored.