Crytek had to ‘rip CryEngine apart’ for multi-platform

Sunday, 20th March 2011 23:55 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Crytek’s Nathan Camarillo has spoken on the challenges of multi-platform development for a series lauded as a PC benchmark.

As part of a round-table conference call, as reported by GameShark, the executive producer said going multi-platform with the PC-centric series was challenging – but PC development isn’t easy, either.

“We had to take CryEngine 3 and rip it apart and re-architect a lot of the engine to support multi-platform,” he said.

“It’s a tall order to do all of that; simultaneously building a game while the engine is being constructed underneath it.

“Just on the PC version alone, between the six different specifications we have, there are 171 different meaningful variables that are behind the scenes adjusted between the different specifications, and even more that aren’t that meaningful.

“We have a wide spectrum of configurations there that really take advantage of the latest hardware.”

Camarillo also commented on PC gaming’s bugbear, and Crytek’s future use of DRM

“I know there’s a lot of negative feelings toward DRM. But, I mean, what are we supposed to do? The actions of a few are causing maybe a mild inconvenience for others.

“If I’m playing a game and it has DRM on it, do I notice? Not really. … So, it’s something that we’ll have to look at in the future.”

Crysis 2 releases tomorrow in the US and Friday in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC.

Thanks, Blue.

1. Erthazus

thats why Crysis 2 looks like a shitty console version.

Thanks Crytek for making game that look 3x times worse then 2007 year game.

2. monu-mental

And to this day, Crytek’s said nothing of removing the PS3 demo. Not one comment concerning the disaster.

They won’t be getting my $60.

3. HauntaVirus

I canceled my pre-order earlier today…

4. monu-mental

Was paying close attention and downloaded the demo for better perception. As you guys know, the thing hardly worked, and when it did, lag ensued.

Then, they pulled it, and since that time have uttered not one word to ease the minds potential buyers.

I, for one, have lost all interest in Crysis 2.

5. narya1

@monu-mental

Man, you’re looking at it wrong. For one, they DID say why they took it off, it was because they DID know that it was laggy and had bad network errors, so they took it off so it could be playable on release. Second, multiplayer isn’t the main point of the game, it’s made by a different company than who made the first Crysis and the singleplayer for Crysis 2. The singleplayer is what Crysis is known for. Third, it does not look shitty, jesus. Have we become so caught up with graphics that a game like Crysis 2 is terrible looking? What games have you been playing that look better? Killzone 3? Yeah sure, that game looms great, but that doesn’t make Crysis 2 look BAD. And fourth, they went multiplatform so more people could enjoy what Crytek has created. They might have been able to do more if they only went pc, sure, but I for one am ecstatic that I don’t have to dish out 1000 dollars to play it on pc.

Do your research before you bash, troll.

6. runbmp

“If I’m playing a game and it has DRM on it, do I notice? Not really. …”

He must of never played a Ubisoft game on PC…

“ We had to take CryEngine 3 and rip it apart and re-architect a lot of the engine to support multi-platform ”

Is that why it looks just like another COD title running in DX9.

” I know there’s a lot of negative feelings toward DRM. But, I mean, what are we supposed to do? The actions of a few are causing maybe a mild inconvenience for others. ”

7. Gigabomber

I AM looking forward to crysis 2 just so I may attempt to wash away the bitter taste homefront left behind.

8. monu-mental

@narya1 – First off, I’m not a troll, dude. Second, if Crytek wasn’t talking up Crysis 2 to Pluto, then we wouldn’t have been so critical. Remember they said the game would be the best looking on consoles, but it’s not.

They also said they were using all PS3′s juice, they’re obviously not. I never said it looks bad, but the 360′s version obviously looks better:

Then you talk about Crytek going multiplatform to bring what they’ve created for a larger market to enjoy. Okay? What do you mean? Just cause a dev goes multiplat, that doesn’t mean we should all leap for joy – and most times they’re in it for the money…

By the way, yes. I’ve been playing Killzone 3. Freaking best shooter experience out there atm.

9. Bloodyghost

Wow.

There goes my preorder, 2 days before the release.

*Calls for Dark Souls* Hey you wanna get bought over this trash?

Well your in!

10. HauntaVirus

Homefront was that bad? I haven’t played it yet but multiplayer vids look really fun.

11. Robster1979

Homefront is bad, save your pennies for something more worthy.
    Dont be fooled by the vaguely fun looking MP vid’s. The game needs 6 more months in devolpment to be poilshed to an acceptable standard. Lots of great concepts, all poorly executed.

12. albo88

i dont know what peoples say but so far the 360 looked good
    some lags here and there but the textures does not look as bad as peoples make it also an unique light effect never see on 360 b4
    the line is

if you wont to spend 600$ to play it as gamer seating witch mean low and get like 40framerate go for it
    if you wont to play it just by spending 140$ then get the 360 version it wont let you down end of story

13. Crysis

“Perhaps you should consider on making a better product for the PC then? rather than porting your ” multi-plaform” trash to the PC.”
    Do you honestly think that the common pirate gives a fucking shit about the quality? They’ll pirate it regardless you fool, and another thing, Crytek is a company & the most important thing for any company is profit, & PC gamers are only a minority compared to console gamers so it makes sense to expand their audience, who cares if only a handful of nerdy graphics whores cry?

14. blackdreamhunk

really last time I checked crysis made more than heavy rain and alan wake.

I was going to get the game but I wanted to hold off after seeing dragon age 2 I am glade i did.

15. frostquake

I understand the PC Gaming “Elite” always having problems with games made for the consoles. Usually they either feel like they are getting a dumb downed console ported version, or if the company would have just developed for the PC it would have been much better.

In this economy, they have to spread their gaming eggs to all kinds of baskets, and this has become more and more common.

As I have said before, I can no longer afford to PC game, so the only way I would get to play a game like this, would be if they made it for the consoles.

I have also heard both sides of the developers saying how they had to completely re-do an engine to get it on the consoles, but also saying how nice it was to know that when they developed a game for the 360 or PS3, they really didn’t have to worry about consoles, because they were pretty standard across the board. There aren’t 250 different configurations of the 360 or PS3, like there is with PC. On consoles you know exactly how much memory you have to deal, graphics and processing power. On PC’s there can be all kinds of configurations.

The one standard that I have ALWAYS heard, is that PC gamers almost always hate when a developer makes a game for the consoles as well.

I understand you want the most perfect PC game you can get, but imagine the millions of Console gamers who wouldn’t get to play that game if it wasn’t made for consoles too?

So just like you get upset over PC games being made for consoles, I get quite jealous of PC games only, wishing I could afford to play them on a nice gaming PC.

Overall, I think developers are just being careful in the horrible world economy.

16. roni1175

here come the excuses and the game isnt out yet

17. Kalain

@crysis

You’re kidding aren’t you? The PC, as a gaming platform, has more users around the world than all of the consoles combined. No idea where you got ‘more consoles than PCs’ statement from since thats what minority means.

@frostquake,

Lets reverse that sand say, look at all of the millions of PC gamers who wouldn’t get to play console only games, such as LA Noire and RDR. And developers don’t have to spread to more platforms, look at CD Projeckt and Blizzard for two. They do very well on PC only (and Mac for Blizzard).

Generally, when a PC game gets moved to multiplatform to include consoles then something has too give and that is generally the graphics and certain elements of the gameplay. This is a fact due to the limiting natures of the consoles, something that will always be around them until they themselves become PCs.

18. mojo

17 Kalain: PC Gaming has more user, but 80% of them will never buy crysis 2 day one, year one or even decade one.
    Coz they are using old hardware in countries like brazil where most ppl just dont have the money to get a gfx card for 500€ alone.

19. Kalain

Mojo, I’m sure there is a user base with old hardware, but we don’t know the amount.

Saying 80% is just picking a number from thin air. But it still doesn’t detract from what I was saying, there are more PC Gamers worldwide than console gamers, and that is a fact. Doesn’t matter what type of game they place, facebook casual stuff to AAA, they are still gamers.

20. YoungZer0

Not going to waste my money on this game. Seriously, Crytek? The game runs even worse than the previous Crysis. How is that even possible? You basically cut all the content. The game doesn’t look better, and you don’t even have advanced customization for graphic settings.

You basically pissed on your previous fanbase with this.

I was prepared for cut gameplay, for a better and more optimized engine with fluid gameplay and good storyline. But i’m not going to waste my time with another Console Port.

21. Crysis

@19, You’re wrong, there are more console gamers than PC gamers but there are obviously more PC users, a majority of which don’t play games, or only play built in games or browser games that aren’t real games… Dead Frontier is actually an excellent browser game.

22. Suikoden Fan

ok so the pc version is gonna be the best version of (what alot of people are saying is) a bad bunch, but said pc version has drm, fucking great so get a drm game or a inferior version, choices, choices.

23. mojo

kalain, and that matters exactly how much for the topic?
    i never said they arent gamers. ive said they wont run crysis.

24. Big_Boss

Everyone hold your horses! None you have played the PC version of the game. The demo for the PC was the XBOX360 build! The reason for this was that the PC DX11 build was incomplete at the time. Crytek is doing everything they can to release a polished PC game. Btw, the DX11 build will look absolutely better then anything you have ever played.

Those were the facts and now for my opinion.
    I am quite displeased by Crytek’s efforts to bring Crysis to the consoles. I own a PS3 but have also been watching some Xbox gameplay very closely. I have also played the demo on PC. The truth is, the PS3 version looks much worse. The lack of antialiasing on the PS3 is far too apparent. Which is something you can also see in BFBC2, though not nearly as much. Crysis 2 looks downright terrible on the playstation. Playing Killzone 3 after playing C2 is like going from playing a game on a PS2 to playing on a PS3. The difference in graphical quality is astounding. Crysis 2 is in now way shape or form optimized for the PS3.

My biggest gripe is Crytek’s relentless marketing effort to stress that the engine is optimized for each platform, able to render the game simultaneously. If you are thinking of purchasing the game for the PS3, think very carefully before doing so. In all honesty, the graphical impression I got from C2 is very similar to Black Ops. No doubt C2 looks somewhat better than BO but not by much. They are both subHD, low texture resolution and jagedy as fuck.

Not sure if pirated versions of C2 are anything to go by but the PS3 version is only about 8 Gb. Which means it is a direct port of the Xbox version. Perhaps with some tweeking but ultimately fails to use the capacity of the bluray which would have improved the graphical quality quite significantly. Unless the engine is inherently inept for the PS3′s architecture in which case woopty fuckin doo!

At this point I couldn’t care less. All I want from Crytek is to admit they lied, the game does not look the same on the consoles. Cryengine 3 is not optimised for the PS3. For them to have the audacity to keep lying about this issue is nothing short of ridiculous.

25. runbmp

@Crysis The PC gamer userbase is much greater than the console. It does have market appeal if a game is able to scale on different PC hardware.

Steam’s total users logged in peaks at 3.5M
    and WoW alone has just a little more than half the Xbox userbase at 12M

While the Xbox reaches 20M active users. Not all of them gamers as well, since for all we know they might just be watching allot of netflix.

26. Phoenixblight

27. Hunam

Blizzard aren’t moving over, they are expanding.

Also, I think the DAO sales were talking about retail boxed. But it think they actually made more money on consoles because of DLC sell through etc.

28. Big_Boss

“Blizzard and CD Projekt are even moving over to the console”

Not confirmed, only a possibility (“they’re looking into it”). Even if they do, PC version comes out first and few months later console version is released.

29. Crysis

Who cares!?

30. Phoenixblight

No Bioware said themselves that DAO sold the most on the console because they have all the information from retail and digital sales. I am not getting my information on NPD or other sites who have no way to access digital sales.

31. runbmp

#26

@ Phoenixblight

” There may be more users on the PC but there are not as much people buying games on it Activision has said that most of their 20 million buyers were from the console base. Even Bioware said that Dragon AGe Origins sold the most on the console. Blizzard and CD Projekt are even moving over to the console, there is more money to be had on the console than the PC. ”

That’s speculation its not official, no title has even been confirmed. I’m sure someone willing, they can send Blizzard a copy of N64 Starcraft to remind them how shit can go wrong when you port PC games to consoles.

If memory serves, the last project for console was Starcraft Ghost and that got shitcanned.

32. Phoenixblight

If torchlight can go on the 360 then Diablo 3 can go on consoles. Its not Like Blizzard makes their games demanding for hardware just look at Starcraft 2.

And its more then speculation when they are hiring people that have console experience.