Sony given permission to subpoena George Hotz’s PayPal records

Thursday, 17th March 2011 13:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The California courts have given Sony permission to subpoena George Hotz’s PayPal account and any records relatied to it.

Per a report on Wired, any documents which are sufficient enough to “identify the source of funds,” sent to Hotz’s PayPal account are required to be handed over.

The firm claims Hotz accepted donations for his hack, which violated the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, from residents of Northern California. Hotz has denied that he accepted any monetary donations.

Only funds pertaining to California will be submitted, which if found, will allow Sony to continue to sue Hotz in San Francisco instead his home state of New Jersey.

Sony was given access to visitor IP addresses to Hotz’s website earlier in the month, as well as data his YouTube, Twitter, and Google accounts.

1. tmac2011

not so HOT now are you!?

2. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Wow. This guy is getting FUCKED. You think he’s looking at any time?

3. DEADEYES

Access to everything which is belong to him then WHAT? Kill him? Rape him? =))

4. freedoms_stain

I don’t think this move has anything to do with Hotz, it’s aimed at tracking down other people who they can sue. I wouldn’t be surprised if they drew up a correlation table from the records they got about visitors to his website and people who donated to his paypal account and started suing the shit out of anyone on both lists.

5. NeoSquall

@3 I’d say kill him first, then reanimate the corpse and turn it into a cow sex toy, if you know what I mean.

6. theevilaires

DAMN this guy is screwed. Where are his rap videos now? :D

7. mortiferus

Silly PS3 fanboys. Sony wont get much from this suit. Hotz will not serve any jail time and other hackers are stepping up their efforts to hack the POS3. Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Apple and Google can try their best to “Lock their devices down”but the hackers will always find a way in.

8. theevilaires

Everything has a reverse nature to it plain and simple and the only way to reverse the unfortunate mistake your mother made mortiferus is to kill you.

9. ManuOtaku

look i think that sony went agains this, is becuase they want to prove that GEO did gain a commercial advantage and or did gain money doing this, and this is a key factor here among others, cause according The DMCA , it especifically prohibits “circumvent[ing] a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected under this [copyright] title.” 17 U.S.C. § 1201(a)(1)(A). To prove a violation of 17 U.S.C. §§ 1201(a)(1) and 1204.

Therefore the government must establish that the defendant:
    1. willfully,2. circumvented, 3. a technological measure that effectively controls access (i.e., an access control) 4. to a copyrighted work, 5. for commercial advantage or private financial gain.

So i think sony is trying to cover all the facts to really put GEO against the ropes, legally of course, without any recurse of defense .

Finally i just wish that all the countries in the world give the same treatment as the norigean country gives to his people, they are sueing sony in the norway court, for the removal of other S , that were part of the purchased product by the consumer without given any proper arrengements, they see this as a bite-switch kind of situation.o_O

10. lexph3re

@7 seriously? That was so stupid, sony is trying to heal a major hole in its device and make an example. And, other hackers “stepping up” to hack the system would be dumb twats seeing how much sony is getting the upper hand throughout this. That’s like putting a neon billboard up saying “hey! Here I am! Come sue me!” Any hackers that leap into this war aren’t proving their wise their proving that they’re very dumb.

11. freedoms_stain

@10, Sony can only sue if they know who to sue. Sony’s actions here won’t prevent hacking, they’ll just cause the hackers to be more careful with their anonymity.

12. Aman27deep

Why is Sony becoming such a major bully now? Really sad.

13. pukem0n

they just want to see if MS paid him over paypal :D

14. Bluscope

Am I the only one who finds this court case absolutely hilarious? Geohot has always been and always will be a complete and utter smug twat! :)

15. Dannybuoy

I’m a PS3 owner and have never nor intend to use pirated software or use hacks on my ps3. I did visit his site though just out of interest after I saw his rap video embedded on a game site. The guys a dick and I hope my ip address isn’t flagged up that’s for sure!

16. mortiferus

Hey, #10. One of the other defendants in the case, Alexander “graf_chokolo” Egorenkov, released additional POS3 code and engineering knowledge despite the raid conducted at his home and the threats from Sony’s legal dept. So who has the upper hand here? LOL.

Why is he and guys like Hotz doing this? For one in his own words gorenkov stated “Reversing and bringing back PS3 Linux which you took from us”. The other reasons are knowledge and choice. This is NOT about piracy.

Also, these guys are not dumb. Anyone who can circumvent an advanced protection scheme like that in the POS3 is certainly not dumb. And speaking of, I bet you probably could not reverse engineer a paper bag!

17. mortiferus

#8 theevilaires. LOL, I continue to ignore you like always. You are insignificant. You add nothing of value to the conversation, when you do talk, it’s all diarrhea… By the way how is the third grade teacher treating you these days? Oh what do I care Im just gonna go back to ignoring you again. Toodles…

18. theevilaires

If you are a good hacker why in the hell would you give a shit about Linux on a PS3 that you only have 256mb of ram for. Why not build a better PC and run linux on that? Their excuse is bullshit but SONY shouldn’t have got rid of a main feature that they obviously put in their from the beginning as a selling point and thats where these fuckers have a fight at. But SONY does state that if you want to use PSN you must agree to there terms even if that means taking away features.

They had the option like everyone else in the world and a pre warning what the firmware would do. You simply don’t upgrade and keep the feature and lose PSN which is a gift from SONY in the first place because its free to use and play games online or you upgrade and get a secondary PS3 and not upgrade that one and use Linux on a 256mb cell powered PC. Either way this is going to be interesting and I think SONY is going to win in the end.

19. hitnrun

@16 Intelligence as a catchall term is misplaced. Anyone who exposes themselves the way these hackers are doing for no other reason than the street cred is manifestly dumb.

Rest assured, Hotz doesn’t give a crap about the rights of PS3 owners. If he did, he would have released the key anonymously and been done with it. He or his co-defendants could remain anonymous and devastate Sony’s lockdown efforts with impunity. Instead, the lot of them are trying to cover themselves in hacker glory. All these guys care about is getting credit for their achievements around “the scene”.

Sony is not in the right here – the relevant law, the DMCA, is little more than a tool for oppressing people without money, written by the effected corporations – but that doesn’t mean these hackers won’t look back on this in ten years and wonder “what the hell was I thinking?”

20. mortiferus

@19. Hotz is already famous for his iPhone jailbreaking exploits. To say it’s about street cred is just not accurate.Yes, there is a sense of accomplishment and the recognition is I’m sure icing on the cake, but for these guys its about defeating these instruments of control. This is clearly like you said, all about a corporation cracking down on a modder for hacking a system he already paid for, for sharing that knowledge publicly with others at no cost so they too could circumvent a lockdown and enable functionality that was arbitrarily removed.

21. theevilaires

Wow Mortiferus you must be taking it up the ass by Hotz you’re defending him this much. This is the most I’ve seen you post in the past 2 years on any article. After you two are finish does he sing you a rap lullaby while cuddling to sleep :D

22. spiderLAW

Nothing justifies hacking your system and then sharing how to do it with the world. If you want to mod your system, figure it out yourself and keep it to yourself, its your console.

Hackers can hack and program almost anything (Hotz has shown that he is exceedingly more than capable of doing so). Why did he not just hack the PS3 to allow Linux/Ubuntuu to be installed on it if that was his reason. Why did he have to go and access the root key and hand it out for people to do what they will with it.
    His reasoning is bullshit and everyone knows it. Sony knows it and thats why they are taking these courses of action.

23. Jackie

sonyfanboys are so mad :)

btw. piracy isn’t “killing” gaming, the publishers and the other ppl make such a big drama about it because they can’t do anything against piracy

24. Gekidami

Because he wanted MORE fame. As its already been pointed out, he could have released this info anonymously but instead he wanted all the glory.
    The guy doesnt give a shit about ‘returning Linux’ or even other people for that matter, he’s in it for the ego trip. So its only right he gets his upcommance for being such an arrogant prick.

25. Dr.Ghettoblaster

OFF WITH HIS HEAD!

26. theevilaires

OFF WITH HIS BALLS! ….at least he can still live (in regret) :D

27. lexph3re

See I don’t think you get what it means to be a hacker. Hackers don’t make themselves known, hackers stay behind the scences and have fun doing what they want to do. Were not living in the matrix and need to be unplugged morpheus, I’m sorry neo… whoops I mean geo has been shown for the arrogant prick he is. Nothing your choosen ones have done have help anyone. The douche bag that released keys upon his arrest just wanted to be like geohotz. It was a chance to become infamous. But guess what now he’s just known as that guy because no one gives a shit about him or what he did.

You claim I couldn’t reverse engineer a paper bag… lol… sure you believe that. Don’t assume you know the community of people you speak among.

Now, instead of acting like the death rows bitch getting turned on by her mans soon to be execution. Open your eyes and see that the real hackers don’t need fame or infamy from a gaming console. Only dumbasses gloat about hacking a gaming console. “Oh boy look! The secret to eternal youth is right here in this pharmaceutical company’s records! Oh that’s not important! The world must know about ps3′s root keys! That’s much more important!”

28. monkeygourmet

The Wii is apparently the most pirated console this generation and also the most successful, likewise the DS for handhelds.

I can understand Sony protecting their assets, but i still have a hard time believing companies when they complain it’s killing their profits?

Someone please explain…

29. Dr.Ghettoblaster

@28.
    If that’s true about the Wii, it’s a good point cause we sure don’t here about Nintendo suing this guy and that guy all over the news. Interesting.

30. Gekidami

^ Nintendo sued a pirate for 1.5 million dollars. Just sayin’.

Oh and remind me how well games sell on the Wii again.

31. DeathJynx

@20 you live in some sort of hollywood dream land. People are ego. He did it for no other reason but to say he did. He knew what the fuck could happen. There is no logical function to linux on ps3 to a hacker of his capabilities. They all knew damn well that it would freely open up piracy on the system. The guy is a douche and I hope Sony drill him and his sex partners into the ground.

32. lexph3re

My guess would be, because nintendo don’t care. Their pirate base to install base is probably like 10% of owners. I’ve known about the wii hack since it happened, but my several of my friends are just now finding out about it. So, I can assume(although I hate making assumptions) that the current install base pay very little attention to their wiis.

Now, I know xbox360/ps3 hacks are known even from the casual market. I honestly can walk down the street and see flyers for people saying they can fix a 360 but I also know they offer the hack for compensation. With the ps3′s hack being worse then wii and 360s combined they had to step in and do something. They couldn’t just lay there and take it like a good girl. They already lost tons of money pushing ps3 to the nitpicky consumer. Now they could have even more excuses from devs why they don’t want to design for ps3. So they would lose 3rd party advantages.

That’s unexcetable for any business. Sony has receive a lot of threats this gen from devs. From their retail price to their “difficult” hardware. The next thing would be 3rs party developers saying its just not worth it. Its pretty much already affected nintendos wii games. That get practically zero quality. If it weren’t for nintendos main franchises like mario,zelda, and metroid they would take the same steps sony did.

33. lexph3re

Damn genki summarize every thing in one shot….. thanks *rolls eyes*lol

34. DeathJynx

@30 nice link haha.

35. monkeygourmet

That makes sense i guess… I just alway feel the problem is exaggerated. I must be wrong but it always feel like companies are crying over spilt milk too me.

Looking at a cross section of my friends, i have a few that have hacked there 360′s and Wii’s but not a huge amount. Also a few use R5 cards on their DS’s.

Many more purchases games and extra DLC on release, many opting for the special editions. My Girlfriend and i regularly buy 2 copies of the game to play co-op, i.e. Bulletstorm, Halo Reach etc…

I have just got my PS3, my second console after the 360. My friend asked me if i was going to hack it, i just said, “whats the point?”

I picked up Uncharted 2 for £6.00 2nd hand and God of War 3 for £7.00. Hardly anything for 2 AAA games…

Piracy will always be around no matter what measures companies put in to stop it.

I just don’t see how it hurts companies as much as they make out. Smaller developers maybe, but even then most small games are download only so less likely to be pirated.

I don’t really see the problem if a parent has an R5 card for example just to get there kids the endless shite Ben 10 or movie tie-in games for them without wasting a fortune on them…