Saints Row: The Third info breaks from GI: story detailed, multiplayer dropped, upgradeable weapons

Tuesday, 8th March 2011 12:11 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Game Informer’s newest issue has dropped a ton of Saints Row: The Third info, including plot, multiplayer and weapons info.

The game’s story sees you play as the hero from SR1 and 2 as the Third Street Saints move out of Stillwater to a new area, having already gained a marketing campaign from the Ultor Corporation.

When a heist goes wrong and sees the Saints locked up, a new group, known as the Syndicate, holds you and your partners on its private jet, and the gang’s less than happy about your attempted robbery. But the Syndicate will let you live if you give it some of your monthly profits. Naturally, the Saints aren’t too pleased and start a fight onboard.

After getting through said fight, and dealing with other disasters mid-air, you then jump out of the plane and land safely with your partners in crime.

Volition’s now confirmed that Johnny Gat and Shandie from previous games are involved.

Multiplayer has been removed, but co-op has been left in.

You’ll be able to upgrade your weapons in the game. Examples given in the GI feature were sniper scopes and an under-barrel grenade launcher for the assault rifle.

There’ll also be a new RC car, which has an electric bug that enables you to fully control vehicles: as you upgrade it, you can take over tanks and vehicles.

There’s a proper fuckton of information here.

Saints Row: The Third releaes this Holiday for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. The_Red

Hell, yeah. Fuck the multiplayer. Fun singleplayer and co-op FTW!

2. Blerk

I didn’t even realise the previous games had multiplayer! :-D

I hope they keep the main character customisation stuff. And let me import my SR2 bloke.

3. StolenGlory

I didn’t actually pick up SR2 strangely, yet, I enjoyed the first one a fair bit in those murky pre-GTA IV times.

What do you folks reckon, worth a punt at a tenner or so?

4. Blerk

For sure. It’s a bit buggy, but it’s the second-best open-world criminal sim of the generation. :-D

5. M2Kx

It was worth every penny of the 40€ I’ve spent on it and I’d spent even more, the game is a blast \:D/

Give me some pre order bonus, details sound awesome :)

6. RockTwist

@3 It’s looking a bit dated now and the engine is technically a little rough, but it’s a lot of fun. More ‘open sandbox’ than Saint’s Row 1 and all the better for it imo.

7. drewbles82

damnit man i just found the leaked magazine scans and had zoomed in reading it all.
    from wat ive read, theres a sex toy weapon, you can call in air strikes, predator drones, use an rc gun which u get full control over a vehicle which sounds fun cuz ur not in the car so if u kill ppl with it etc surely it wont be u getting arrested, be the driver.
    so excited….

8. UuBuU

RC vehicles and sex toy weapons? Why does that sound familiar…

9. Blerk

It’s what you did at the weekend?

10. StolenGlory

Badum-tish!

11. Lesh26

I thought I was the only one who felt like that! lol

12. NeoSquall

Let us bang Shandie with both genders’ toon and I’m sold.

13. NeoSquall

*Shandi

14. NeoSquall

*SHAUNDI, fuck that.

15. ReeceHeywood

Shame about multiplayer, spent 100′s of hours playing it online with friends in the first title.

16. drewbles82

@8 yeah rc does sound the same but if you read more info on it, you shoot at a vehicle to attach to it, then you control that vehicle (upgrades can make it so you control helicopters, tanks)
    Imagine taking over an enemy vehicle with them all inside and driving them into a the sea, or the cops, other gang members. Your not physically in the car, theyd be freaked out.
    sounds like fun 2 me. doesnt make me think of GTA as theres were lil remote control cars that could explode