Nathan Fillion defends Wahlberg casting decision

Tuesday, 1st March 2011 01:58 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Firefly star and fan-favourite for the Uncharted film adaptation Nathan Fillion has spoken out in support of director David O. Russell’s decision to cast Mark Wahlberg in the role of Nathan Drake.

“You can’t fault a man for A. working with someone he’s worked with before, B. Mark Wahlberg, I think that’s a talented guy,” Fillion told Nerdist.

“I think he does great work, that guy, and he’s a huge international star, which I am not. I am not.

“I will be,” he added.

“So sure I would have loved it, but I can’t fault anybody for any of the choices they make. You’re gonna make a movie, make it the way you’re gonna make it and have a great time.”

O. Russell recently requested fans “trust and let go“.

Thanks, GamesRadar.

1. _LarZen_

Nathan Fillion should have had the role…if David O. Russell and Mark Wahlberg mess up the movie then bring the nerdrage!!

2. Sinistre

I’d rather see Joe Flanigan for the main role. Not only because he looks like pretty much Nathan Drake, but also because the character have some temperament similarities with his role as John Shepard from Stargate Atlantis TV show.

3. metamorphic

Actually, the best fit for Nathan Drake is probably Richard Armitage, who will star in the Hobbit films and Captain America. He literally looks the part.

4. deathgaze

This kinda crap like I find in this post and this post really shows off how little most gamers seem to know about film. As much as I like Fillon, I have to respect Russell’s decision. The man makes films, not games and what makes a good game does not make a good movie. Anyone criticizing him for a movie that hasn’t even begun filming yet clearly does not know what they’re talking about.

Apparently, gamers think they know how to make a movie better than an actual film director. Some folks are talking about how the story in the games is fine as-is. Unto ye I say: Thou art an idiot. No story in any game to date has come across as anything more than a B-movie, at best. Leave the storytelling to the storytellers. Just because your MGS4 or Uncharted has Hollywood editing and cinematography doesn’t make it movie-quality — it’s still horribly written when compared to your average Hollywood flick. Fillon knows this, and also knows that game geeks that know nothing about film will complain about this decision and others. He’s being polite, kids. He really wants to say, “Stuff it and go watch the film first.”

All that being said, yes, there have been a lot of indefensibly horrible decisions made for video game movies in the past. Super Mario Bros, Doom and anything by Uwe Boll (with the exception of Postal) are good examples. There were also some damn decent ones, like “Silent Hill” and “Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time”. The point, though, is that Russell may just know what he’s doing. He makes a living doing it, after all.

5. mathare92

@4 Russell may just know what he’s doing. He makes a living doing it, after all.

I don’t think anyone’s questioning his ability as a filmmaker. It’s just the whole approach he’s taking. I mean he’s practically belittling the source work he’s adapting – which unfortunately, is what all directors (well maybe not Del Toro and a few others) seem to do when it comes to videogames.

“You guys are playing the game, and it’s about playing the game. It’s not about a narrative embracing you emotionally,” he says.

Bullshit, I says.

And @4, No story in any game to date has come across as anything more than a B-movie, at best.

Ken Levine and BioShock say hello.

6. Panipal2005

Nathan’d be an even worse choice than Wahlberg IMO. The guy looks stupid, neanderthal stupid.

7. Dannybuoy

Wahlberg has $$ in his eyes

8. Ignatius_Cheese

Fillion or no Fillion, I find it very hard to “trust” O. Russell with anything.

That man is a liability…

9. Schindet Nemo

Didn’t they say they want to make the Uncharted movie Soprano-esque? If so even Fillion wouldn‘t be able to save it.

10. Thalius

Even with Mark(which im against) the movie is gonna suck. O’Russell doesnt have a clue what the game is about… He gonna put Drake’s father and uncle in the movie!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    “Its a family business type of thing” he said once. Come on.

11. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I’d rather see Nolan North do this than Mark Wahlberg…

12. crooon

Wahlberg can’t act for “%#¤, and if anyone says different, they’re flarbing idiots.

13. osric90

Wahlberg is still 10000 times better than Fillion anyway, but not better than Geard Butler if he had the role. And O. Russell is not the best for adapt this game, the very best would have been Spielberg, you like it or not… Anyway I would still preffer 10000000000000 times games to keep games and movies to keep movies.

14. deathgaze

@5: I mean he’s practically belittling the source work he’s adapting – which unfortunately, is what all directors (well maybe not Del Toro and a few others) seem to do when it comes to videogames.

You missed the point. The source material just isn’t that good. Really. It’s not. Please get over it.

Ken Levine and BioShock say hello.

Good story for a game, sure. It ain’t no Citizen Kane, though.

15. mathare92

^ If it isn’t good enough, why adapt it then? Is it just for the name and brand recognition?