Microsoft showcase – Gears 3 beta out mid-April, Fable III PC and second Reach map pack dated

Thursday, 24th February 2011 20:06 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Microsoft’s confirmed that it’ll launch the multiplayer beta for Gears of War 3 in mid-April in a ton of news coming out from its San Francisco showcase.

It’s also announced that it’s releasing new Fable III DLC, Traitor’s Keep, on March 1, as well as announcing the PC version of the Lionhead RPG will launch on May 17 in the US and May 19 in the UK. Screenshots for the PC version are posted below.

It also confirmed the Defiant Map Pack for Halo: Reach will release on March 15.

The Gears 3 beta will contain three multiplayer modes and four new maps as the game heads into its September 20 launch. Fans can decide what maps it would like to see included by going to its Facebook page.

Read our interview with Gears of War 3 producer Rod Fergusson and art director Chris Perna here.

The Traitor’s Pack for Fable III will feature three new levels: Ravenscar Keep, Clockwork Island, and the Godwin Estate. You’ll also take on new quests as well as meet “a mysterious prisoner.”

DLC will also come with “additional content” and a further 250GS of achievements.

For the Halo: Reach Defiant Map Pack, it will feature three new maps for both competitive multiplayer and Firefight: Condemned, Highlands and Unearthed.

The pack will cost 800 MS points.

Also confirmed is that Doodle Jump and Plants vs Zombies will make the jump to Windows Phone 7, with Nelson confirming that Angry Birds will also be on the platform.

As well as that, the sequel to The Dishwasher, known as Vampire Smile, will launch with full 3D support in spring.

Other games at the showcase in San Francisco right now include:

• Batman: Arkham City
  • Crysis 2 3D
  • Homefront
  • Child of Eden (Kinect)
  • Shift 2: Unleashed
  • Sesame Street: Once Upon A Time (Kinect)
  • The Gunstringer (Kinect)
  • The Da Vinci Disappearance [Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood add-on]
  • The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile
  • Beyond Good and Evil HD

Justin Kranzl attended the event for VG247, and you can read up on what all he saw through here.

Here’s the confirmed line-up for the console in 2001 so far:

Exclusive Games for Xbox 360

• Fable III Traitor’s Keep (DLC) – March 1, 560 MSP
  • Gears of War 3 – September 20
  • Halo: Reach Defiant Map Pack (DLC) – March 15, 800 MSP
  • Once Upon a Monster (Kinect XBLA) – Fall
  • The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile (XBLA) – 2011
  • The Gunstringer (Kinect XBLA) – 2011
  • Torchlight (XBLA) – March 9, 1200 MSP

Multi-platform games also on Xbox 360

• Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood – The Da Vinci Disappearance (PSN, XBL) (DLC) – 2011
  • Batman: Arkham City (PC, PS3, Xbox 360) – Fall
  • Beyond Good & Evil HD (PSN, XBLA) – March 2, 800 MSP
  • Child of Eden (XBLA, PSN) – 2011
  • Crysis 2 (PC, PS3, Xbox 360) – March 22 & 25
  • Ghostbusters: Sanctum of Slime (PC, PS3, Xbox 360) – March
  • Homefront (PC, PS3, Xbox 360) – March 15 & 18
  • Shift 2: Unleashed (PC, PS3, Xbox 360) – April 1

1. Bloodyghost

Sweet stuff. I was going to think that my April was going to be dry with Bulletstorm this month, Crysis 2 and Torchlight next month and Brink and Duke Nukem Forever May.

2. Shonak

Erm, okay. And what about new Xbox exclusives? They bring more than Gears of War 3 and Forza 4 for the Core.

3. Shonak

I mean, they have to bring more than Gears 3 and Forza 4.

4. Bloodyghost

Come now. Hopefully there is more? Is this just the stuff they had at the start of the conference?

5. Shonak

Somebody knows if a site has a liveblog?

6. Moonwalker1982

So is this already over or still ongoing? If these are the anouncements that MS said was gonna be great for hardcore gamers, sigh….we KNEW about that Halo mappack.

A date for GOW3 beta is cool but nothing to go OMFG about and Fable 3 DLC? nah.

7. Bloodyghost

Can someone big like the author tell us if this is all happening currently?

8. Mike

nownewgameslol

9. Bloodyghost

God thank you, I was about to have a heart attack thinking this was ALL!

10. Mike

Nope. This is all: http://majornelson.com/archive/2011/02/24/gears-of-war-3-beta-update-and-much-more-just-announced-long.aspx

(still not much)

11. daytripper

i dont understand why they had a press event just to announce whats just been announced. nothing new of note at all. i think ms’ controller exclusive strategy is going piss poor.

12. Bloodyghost

@Mike, then why does it say at the end of the article that there is going to be more?

IF your right then I will be seriously fuming.

13. Shonak

Sucks to be Major Nelson right now; I seriously want to spam his blog now but I have get drunken… now at least I am desperate enough to drink myself into coma.

14. Moonwalker1982

Batman: AC? Hmmm….maybe some gameplay finally?

15. Bloodyghost

@13 At least you can drink. I have nothing here except fucking pop and Orange Juice.

16. Moonwalker1982

GOod thing i didn’t get all excited and looking forward to this day, because i just knew that it was possible that the event wouldn’t be anything special.

17. daytripper

@13 his blog (majors) is getting some stick right now in the comment section, seems to be a lot of underwhelmed gamers, personally if they dont have some decent e3 stuff i’ll probably trade it in for ps3 games.

18. Bloodyghost

@16 in the back of my mind I knew it was going to be utter shit. But I just did not want to believe they would fuck up countless times over.

19. Shonak

@15: Get some then. On the last E3 during the MS press conference I drank like 4 Gin Tonic because it was full of crap.

@17: Yeah, right now I think the same way. I wanna play Gears of War 3 but if they continue to invest nothing at all in Exclusive I don’t see any reason why I should keep my (actually beloved) Xbox 360. Otherwise, I’d hate to lose all my Arcadestuff and Savegames. And as long as Remedy develops for MS I need to keep my xbox 360 anyway.

20. daytripper

@18 i hope this doesnt turn into a fanboy festish but you have to admit, their exclusive strategy, mainly for controller based games is looking weaker by the year. i dont know what systems you own but if you only own a 360 then apart from gears and forza (kingdoms could be kinect) then i understand feeling a tad pissed.

21. darksied

Typical Microsoft, get everyone’s hopes up with news, and this is what we get. Kinect games and a date for the Gears beta. Truly pathetic. Any new exclusives for core gamers, or are we SOL?

22. Shonak

Major Nelson just wrote: “Hey all, I’ll share this feedback. Many of you may have been expecting a few of these news items, but this was our moment to confirm and or provide details around them.

We’ll have more news later this year at E3 and beyond. ”

Yeah, well, we’ll see about.

23. Bloodyghost

@20 Yeah I only own a xbox, I need a get a job. Fuck.

@19 Oh I drank a few beers. That was all tho. I had a Manhattan during TGS.

24. datamonkey

WTF! They had a press event for this?!

I think this Microsoft’s poor attempt at aresponse to being currently wiped under the floor by Sony.

I was expecting first party exclusives not friggin DLC we already know about and ports of 2 year old iphone games.

It looks like MS spent too much of their resources trying to better Nintendo with Kinect while Sony cater for the core gamers, meanwhile MS are in limbo-land.

This is very poor…

25. Moonwalker1982

And this i don’t get, why would you sell your Xbox 360? Ok so 360 doesn;t have much exclusives this year, but there’s a ridiculous long list of sick multiplatform games coming this year , alot of them have multiplayer too. Personally i buy all my multiplatform games for my 360 and simply the sony exclusives for my PS3.

I see zero reason to sell my 360.

26. Blerk

Disappointing so far, for sure. I mean, it’ll be nice to get some footage of all those things because I’m looking forward to a fair few of them, but where’s the new stuff? E3 seems dreadfully late for stuff for this year, so it’s looking increasingly like they’re not actually going to bother doing anything. Which is a bit of a shame.

27. spiderLAW

typicall
    more reasons my Xbox is sitting looking pretty. Only 3 games on mine see play time (Halo Reach, L4D2, and NFS Most Wanted)

28. MushroomStamp

Exclusives mean nothing to me. I could care less if a game is on 1 system or all, it doesn’t affect my gaming in slightest.

29. Moonwalker1982

Exactly, but it’s not a really good sign. I don’t understand what MS is doing. There will be so many good games this year, but they aren’t exclusives, but that’s no big deal really, for us gamers.