Xenogears releasing as PSOne Classic today in US

Tuesday, 22nd February 2011 07:11 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Square’s to release PS1 title Xenogears as a PSOne classic later today in the US.

The news on the re-release of the turn-based RPG comes via way of the US PS Blog.

Xenogears previously released on the Japanese PSN back in 2008, but has not hit either the US or Europe until today.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Blerk

Brilliant game! It was my first ever imported PSOne title too, and set me back £60. Damn you for your Europe-hating back then, Square!

2. KBST

Are PSone games from the US psn region coded? I’d love to play some of them on my psp.

3. typeface

@2 They’re not region-locked. However you can only have one profile active at a time on the PSP which means if you activate a US Store linked id you’ll be deactivating your existing store id. So you’ll have to keep switching between the two. If you don’t mind the way it looks you could of course play it on the PS3 which won’t have that issue.

p.s. The EU/UK store is looking at a US Imports store to release titles not released in this territory such as Parasite Eve 1 (we are getting Parasite Eve 2, 1 was never released here) so while Ross at the blog won’t be able to confirm much he might be able to hint if there’s a chance for Xenogears as well. Of course it can be taken as confirmation but there’ll def be hints.

4. typeface

Just needed to add to my point that this is strictly for digital content. UMDs have no such issue.

5. Deacon

Never had a chance with this until now. Quite excited!

I take it (as an FF-lover) this is a classic worth diving into?

6. Stoopid_Snot

i bet the EU release will be the same as happend with Castlevania…. NEVER
    damn you

7. DaMan

the greatest PSX era jrpg, could’ve been even better if the second disc wasn’t so text heavy.

the deathblows / fighting elements in combat were years ahead of anything made by Square at that time, the scale of the game world is unbelievable. best soundtrack I’ve heard in a jrpg as well, bar Chrono games.

just don’t play the abominations that are the Namco’s Xenosagas.

8. Phoenixblight

Awesome I lost my Xenogears in a move long time ago I am glad I will be able to replay it again. Good day to be a game today Dragon Age 2 Demo, this and Dead Money released for the other platforms.