Ex-senior Bizarre chap joins Sumo Digital

Monday, 21st February 2011 14:28 GMT By Johnny Cullen

CVG‘s reporting that Gareth Wilson, design manager at the now-defunct Bizarre Creations, has joined Sega’s Sumo Digital.

Wilson, having worked on Project Gotham Racing and Blur as lead designer, will now work as chief games designer at the Outrun Online Arcade developer.

Bizarre Creations, after 17 years, was closed down last Friday by parent company Activision.

1. tont

Is this the guy that put bikes in PGR4, rather than making it open world or something, and then decided the next great idea for the ‘series’ was to add power-ups?

Poor Sumo :(

2. ManuOtaku

So…this talented man will be not proper exploit, i mean his talent and expertise….i hope he gets paid well enough though.

3. ManuOtaku

@1, blur was a great game, i liked better than Burnout paradise, and it was due the fact that was open world, so thank god he didnt do it open world, as far as the power ups, it was like mario kart, just for grow ups, how that can be a bad thing?, goes beyond me…

4. tont

@3 “like mario kart” isn’t exactly what I was hoping for as the logical extension of the PGR series, if I’m perfectly honest.

5. ManuOtaku

Tont, i dont know if it was the logical extension, but i think it was a good fun game overall,missunderstood, maybe… but i understand you, sometimes we create such an expectations for a game, like me with GT5, but i think we can both agree that was not a bad game, at least not to make them closure, i saw badder games with their devs keep doing bad games for years, and they still kicking it…o_O

6. YoungZer0

They definitely need a new logo.

7. tont

@ ManuOtaku – I think the biggest problem with Blur is that it seems to have helped kill the studio! Though I think PGR4 was a misstep in a lot of ways.

8. DSB

I think it’s a mistake to make a racer with a bit of combat attached. I didn’t pick up Blur for the same reason.

If I buy a driving game with some high end cars I expect to race those and focus on the driving, I don’t expect to get a rocket shot up my ass. If I buy a driving game with some heavily armed cars, I expect to blow people off the road and focus less on getting a perfect angle through the turns.

The whole idea of going in between the two is flawed, or at least harrowingly difficult in my opinion. I’m not saying you aren’t allowed to like it, but I think fans of either type of game are going to be underwhelmed.

And it’s a real shame from a gang that were so good at making awesomely designed driving. PGR was my ultimate driving game until Grid came along.

9. LOLshock94

i love burnout but burnout paradise was the lazyest and shittest burnout game up to date it is garbage

10. DaMan

excellent news, loved everything Sumo made, and the PGR games ‘re exceptional.

Paradise was awful. going open world was the main reason.