Telltale to develop King’s Quest franchise reboot

Friday, 18th February 2011 20:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

As if Fables, The Walking Dead, and Jurassic Park weren’t enough to satisfy you, Telltale has confirmed it’s to reboot the classic King’s Quest franchise.

Announced at a press release last night, SVP of marketing Steve Allison said : “We have agreed to a multi-title, multiplatform deal to reboot the King’s Quest franchise. Much like we did with Tales of Monkey Island, we’re rebooting King’s Quest with all new episodic games and multiple series.”

King’s Quest was an adventure game series released and created by Sierra co-founder and co-owner Roberta Williams back in the 80s and 90s, and King’s Quest 9 was in development at Sierra before being canceled back in 2002.

More on the game is expected to be revealed at E3 2011.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. Old MacDonald

That’s surprising… and cool.

But one thing, Telltale. This is a hardcore adventure property. Nobody wants a casual King’s Quest game. So we do actually expect some REAL PUZZLES this time. Ok?

2. Michael O’Connor

It’s funny to read this.

I was thinking to myself only a few days ago “Someone really needs to reboot some of the old-school Sierra titles.” And voila… here’s this post! It must be divine intervention.

Space Quest next, please!

3. Moonwalker1982

Awesome, the more adventure games, the better. I never want this genre to die. I hope it’ll be for consoles too.

4. AHA-Lambda

Fables?

you hadn’t even mentioned that one before =/

also puzzle agent 2 and hector badge of carnage were announced aswell

puzzle agent 2 trailer

5. metamorphic

Awesome news. I was a huge fan of King’s Quest growing up and like Moonwalker, I want this excellent genre to continue and keep on moving – props to Telltale! To date all my absolute favorite games (of all-time) are all adventures.

6. yourong

Google in the input: = (ashops).us == (ashops).us = (ashops).us == (ashops).us == (ashops).us == (ashops).us == (ashops).us == (ashops).us =
    == (ashops).us == (ashops).us == (ashops).us =you can find many brand names, even more surprising is that he will sell you the unexpected o(∩_∩)o

7. drewbles82

in that case, they should redo the Police Quest and Leisure suit larrys, hell id be happy to use my chat pad to type commands if need be, loved those games.

8. DEADEYES

@7: Hah, Leisure Suit Larry! Fuking little funny guy, love him! >:)

9. Virginityrocks

hahaha. @7 Police quest was so bad!!

King’s Quest 7, I think, was the best… even though I think it contributed a lot to my latent homosexuality as an adult.

10. Teabag

Oh yes! Well..sort of. I played KQ8 and consider it to be one of my fav games of all time. It was the first ever game that i played that had puzzles and exploration. I spent hours upon hours on it. I even printed a 700 page walkthrough to always keep on track. It was an amazing experience. What good old days i must say. Gaming has lost so much of its charm since then.

TellTale needs to ensure that, that charm remains intact. Their previous games have been ‘okay’ but it never felt like before.

Monkey Island…oh that game. I would have dreams about it after playing it for hours during the night. Amazing game, amazing experience.