Ridge Racer Type-4 releasing next month as PS1 classic

Tuesday, 15th February 2011 15:48 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Namco’s just announced that Ridge Racer Type-4 will release as a PS1 classic next month.

The news comes out of the series’ Facebook page.

The game released on PS1 in spring 1999 in the US and September 1999 in Europe. The game featured “arcade-style drift racing,” 48 cars, eight tracks and a “legendary soundtrack.”

It was the final Ridge Racer to appear on the original PlayStation: Ridge Racer V was a PS2 launch title.

1. Johnny Cullen

Just stick it in my veins, Namco! Fucking loved Type-4. Amazing game.

2. StolenGlory

^This.

I also want Rage Racer as well.

Because I am a greedy fucker.

3. SplatteredHouse

+1 for Rage Racer, but other than that just, w00t! :D

4. KAP

OMFG – this game brings back so much memories!!!!!

Also 11 years on Type-4 has the best intro ever made. The soundtrack is the best and has stayed with me all these years.

Take a look:

Day One.

5. StolenGlory

LOVE that intro! I almost completely forgot about it :)

Cheers KAP!

+100000000

6. KAP

*Phew* im glad im not the only one that thought that too!
    I dont feel as old now haha

I used to watch that inro over and over again at my friends house before school… shame they dont make intros like that anymore innit!

Honestly though, I cant decide whats my favorite intro ever, Ridge Racer Type-4 or this….

7. SplatteredHouse

I didn’t notice before, but is Taki a time traveller – wonder no more, who really devastated Ryu H’s home, in Ninja Gaiden II :p

8. Goffee

Does it come with a virtual jog-dial controller? wasn’t my favourite peripheral but still good.

9. Michal Przyszlak

I’ve spent houndreds of hours with this game… and it doesn’t even give you a real career mode!.

It’s just pure fun. Those jumps, with this music and gameplay…

Those two FMV’s mentioned above are amazing – just as good as they were back in the day. SoulCalibur 3 has a great intro movie as well. Nowadays, however, into movies are so rare…

10. Michael O’Connor

Playing this on the bus on the PSP will be pretty damn awesome.

11. Deacon