Ubisoft Toronto working on a second game, says Raymond [Updated]

Thursday, 10th February 2011 19:41 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Update: Raymond clarified her DICE talk to Wired, saying that Ubisoft Toronto is – in fact – working on another game in addition to Splinter Cell, but it’s not a new IP. Instead, the unannounced project is part of a pre-existing Ubisoft franchise.

Original Article: Ubisoft Toronto boss Jade Raymond has confirmed the studio is working on a new IP alongside Splinter Cell 6.

The Toronto studio, which opened two years ago, was only previously confirmed to be working on the next Splinter Cell title with some of the core team from Conviction, including Alex Parizeau and Maxime Beland.

But Raymond, speaking at DICE, said she hopes the new IP would be something it could give to the fans .

“I really hope we’re creating something that we can hand over to the fans,” she said in a brief panel at the event.

“A launch of a game, in order to be a hit, has to be an entertainment event, like a film or other new IP… You don’t want to be that guy that doesn’t know the newest game, or new indie band.”

Raymond added that “games aren’t just what you talk about around the water color, they’re becoming the water cooler itself … I would hope our next new IP would become the neighborhood bar,” before concluding by saying that “instead of a game just being the next entertainment event, I’d like our next IP to be the next widely-shared pastime.”

Thanks, Gama.

1. Crysis

Woo, always love to hear announcements about new IP, as long as it’s not casual junk

2. YoungZer0

Just waiting for the “I hate Jade Raymond because she’s so likable and sexy.” Comments to roll in.

3. Crysis

Does everybody expect to see an overweight guy that’s clearly balding, wearing glasses & a stained shirt when they here about the games industry? :P

4. pukem0n

she has a weird face
    put away the top of it and it could be the joker without makeup

5. Joe Anderson

@4 I think she’s Gorgeous, seriously good looking woman.

6. Joe Anderson

Oh yeah, good Ubisoft are working on new IP’s too of course.

7. OrbitMonkey

@2 Or because she’s not hot enough ^

8. Aimless

So, reading between the lines it sounds like a social multiplayer title likely featuring some form of user generated content. Not much to go on but it could be interesting.

9. NinjaMidget

Kind of excited, Ubisoft more often than not get it right with games, so I’m looking forward to whatever it is!

10. AHA-Lambda

i thought ubi said a while back that they weren’t focusing on new ip for the rest of this gen?

11. baps

id smash it big willy style

12. bpcgos

Dont like Ubisoft, but Jade Raymond so refreshing! :)

13. IL DUCE

I wish they would just make another Rainbow Six game…the new IP better be something good, not any casual or motion control game…

14. IL DUCE

Unless they are finally doing the Tom Clancy Universe idea that had been tossed around a couple of years ago…

15. M2Kx

You got a nice picture up there Mr. Cullen :P

*goes away because there’s nothing else to say*

16. MegaGeek1

I hope they knock this one out of the park and put Toronto on the map. Also, I hope I bump into Jade on Yonge St one day so I can tell her I love her.

17. On2wheels

Jade sweety, please tell me you have Maxime taking coffee orders and running faxes for the gang working on SC6 :)

18. Teabag

Oh, please. Ubisoft, just give us the new Beyond Good and Evil. That IP is bloody underrated, it’s infuriating.

19. Isaaclarke37

Hope it’s Beyond Good & Evil.

20. ultramega

Us Canadians have the biggest babes.
    :D