Guerilla: motion control is the future of FPS

Wednesday, 9th February 2011 01:36 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Killzone developer Guerilla Games is so keen on motion control that one team member has said he believes in the future all FPS titles will utilise it.

“I think, as this develops, in a few years most of the first-person-shooters will be played like this,” Guerilla’s motion control head Tommy de Roos told CVG.

“I really think so. Maybe not the Move specifically but a pointing controller like this.”

In a separate interview with Ars Technica, de Roos said the Amsterdam-based studio toyed with the idea of creating a motion control version of Killzone 2.

“One of the first ideas was to create an on-rails version of Killzone 2,” he said. “But once we realized how much work that would be, since all encounters would have to be re-scripted, we decided against it.”

Thanks Joystiq, GoNintendo.

1. AJacks92

That’s great and all. But hardcore like something…well hard (none of those jokes please). They–err, WE need something solid to hold on to. Something with weight, feeling, and motion to it. With Dualshock 3 controllers, you get all of that. The Move controllers now are ingenuity nonetheless, but I’d say that Sony only innovated what’s already here. Sony, like usual, should come up with something entirely different. Invent Sony. Not innovate.

In regards to the beta…please fix servers. Many of us aren’t connecting to this awesome beta. Extend beta as well as not wiping!

2. Bloodyghost

Um. No.

While you could make Move possible for FPS games, its not PRACTICAL.

Killzone 3 still looks good tho.

3. Hunam

Yeah, the whole motion thing doesn’t work for FPS as the Wii has pointed out. It’s great for on rails stuff sure but not normal FPS. Unless he counts mouse as motion control :P

4. OrbitMonkey

@1 So *hardcore* gamers like a controller which is solid & heavy? They wouldn’t use a MOUSE then?
    @2 It’s not practical to use a motion controller that could finally deliver MOUSE like precision on a console?
    Anyone who’s played resi4 on the Wii knows how fast, accurate & practical it makes the gunplay. Killzone 3 using Move is a good start, now I want it in uncharted 3.

5. AJacks92

@4 No. I should have been clear and said console, hardcore gamers. Nevertheless, if there was technology to bring a PC gamer more “into” the game, then devs should go for it. Unfortunately, even the best PC builds today can’t give that experience just yet. So for now, keyboard and mouse will have to do. Not bashing on PC gamers because I am one too. Just saying, if you can add tech that doesn’t change the “tradition” but changes the way you experience the game itself, then I’m all for it. An example of this would be 3-D. Move (or should I say motion control in general) takes away from the traditional gaming experience. The only time it does good job would be with Heavy Rain. They go almost hand-in-hand with each other, and that’s an immediate buy for me.

6. NoxNoctisUmbra

Playstation MOVE can work, as long there is almost no lag, and its shaped as a gun or a rifle. I know once KZ3 will come out they will sell those rifle attachments to MOVE. So it might be even better then the standard pad or even mouse. As long its super responsive.

7. G1GAHURTZ

Oh no it’s not!

The end.

8. poopoofruits

it should always be an option.

9. burrsalem

I would say that that guy’s on crack but it did say this was “Guerilla’s motion control head” so… yeah, sure THAT guy thinks that. I doubt very much that it’s the prevailing opinion within Guerilla or any other FPS developer for that matter. The headline is a bit misleading by saying “Guerilla” was making that statement.

Here’s the thing though. FPS’s sell like hotcakes. call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Killzone, etc, etc. They sell like hotcakes as they are now, to a bunch of consumers playing them in a very specific way. None of these publishers are going to sacrifice the golden calf on the altar of motion controls unless they have VERY compelling proof that the consumers actually want it. I think you’ll see more and more shooters provide it as an option booth to reach a wider audience and to test the waters, but you’ll NEVER see any wholesale changes from franchises that are already successful unless the market dictates it. Personally I don’t think the majority of the market wants it at all.

10. back_up

no only Move is the future of FPS

11. Dannybuoy

This debate will rage on until the end of time. You either like motion controls, or you don’t. You are a bit of a ludite or you’re not. Similar to those folk who say ‘ooh no, I like my phone with physical keys’. Most of them haven’t tried a touch screen! I for one welcome innovations and agree with his statement. In the future motion controls will be the primary input for videogames. There will be a small group of people who’ll only use legacy controllers because they’re too stuck in their ways and stubborn to embrace different things.

12. Nozz

What #8 said!

13. Blerk

God, PLEASE no.

14. Tallon 4

Move is amazing playing this game….takes some getting used to, but when you get it, you don’t wanna ga back to ds3