Harmonix confirms unknown number of lay-offs

Monday, 7th February 2011 19:37 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Harmonix has confirmed tonight it has laid off a unspecified amount of employees from the studio.

The Boston developer, sold by previous parent company MTV Games back in December for apparently $50 to an investment group, said that it was “restructuring our organization to bring it into alignment with our current product development plans.”

It added further in a statement to Joysitq that it’s “working to ensure that those affected are well taken care of as we make this change.”

The site reports, however, that DLC for Dance Central and Rock Band as well as future plans are unaffected.

Harmonix released Rock Band 3 and Kinect exclusive Dance Central last year. It’s currently unknown what its future plans are.

1. Prof.Dr.Moertel

That was to be expected but it still sucks :/

2. OlderGamer

They should have made RB3 100% compatible with RB2. Toss is the stupid idea to let madcatz do instrurments, and no wonder RB3 floped.

3. Michael O’Connor

@2 Rock Band 3 didn’t flop. The low figures that were reported were taken from a very limited run of sales over a very short span of time. You just have to check the leaderboards to see how well the game sold.

4. OlderGamer

Pretty sure the LB factor in the RB/RB2 LB too. On DLC songs. Could be wrong tho.

Waht I mean is that RB2 was an institution RB3, imo was a wetblanket. All that was needed was more dlc, and a fully BC and FW compatible game. that way you don’t alientate old fans or segment new ones.

BTW, your not gonna believe this Michael, but I bested your score in Slipnots Psychosocial. I think lol have to double check, I say your score on one of those songs the kids got, and thought I would give it a try. My wife laughed so hard she turned red when I was signing it!

5. Michael O’Connor

Hahahaha! I’ll have to give that a look.

6. OlderGamer

One of these days we should play that together. I love RB games. Right now my xbox is giving me fits tho – it won’t read the games on the first couple of boots and sometimes cuts out during play.

I am playing the UK Alan Wake system I won on here last year lol – it won’t play all of my games, but the ones not region locked work just fine. I don’t think RB is one of em tho.

7. Michael O’Connor

Have a few friends who are hardcore musicians and play this quite regularly themselves. I’ll let you know what their gamertags are over Xbox Live.

8. back_up

that’s what happen when you support 360

9. silk

Didn’t get RB3 because they didn’t release the pro cymbals over here (and I have compatible drums). Buggered if I’ll fork out > £100 for new drums.