Square Enix earnings plummet, Kane and Lynch 2 is million-seller

Thursday, 3rd February 2011 09:10 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Square Enix has reported an earnings fall for the nine months ending December 31, but confirmed that Kane and Lynch 2: Dog Days had sold more than 1 million units.

Sales were at ¥98.1 billion for the period, down 28 percent year-over-year. Operating income was at ¥9.0 billion, down 58 percent against the same period in the previous year.

The tough comps were faced against the releases of Dragon Quest IX and Final Fantasy XIII in the previous period.

As well as the IO action sequel, Dragon Quest Monsters Joker sold over 1 million units for the nine-month block.

The publisher had some success with mobile and browser gaming in the period: Nikotto Town passed 700,000 users, with Sengoku IXA said to be doing well since its launch in August.

Full report is here.

1. Blerk

It might’ve sold over a million units, but I wonder how many people actually liked it? One of the most complained-about games of last year, going by the forums. :-)

2. Wesker

Well, I liked it better than the first one.
    The team aspect was cut out (Thank god!), the gritty feel was still there.
    Kane and Lynch were just a bit more likeable this time around.

Yeah, IO Interactive’s games aren’t the best, but they’re fun while they last. I enjoyed the game, but hated the ending.

3. back_up

why don’t IO work on hitman or freedom fighter instead of wasting time on this shit

4. Rudderless

Dog Days was bloody awful, and I say that as one of the few who really liked the stylistic approach.

5. Keivz

An 8/10 game for me. Co-op was a blast.

6. revolting

I actually really enjoyed Dog Days, right up until the credits rolled after unexpectedly finishing it in one sitting.

7. M2Kx

Dog Days would be awesome, if it wouldn’t have this awful ending and 2 or 3 hours more Story. Because the game itself was pretty awesome and I had more fun with it in coop or mp than with gears for example.

8. M2Kx

I’m using the word “awesome” way too often, where’s the damn “edit” button? :D

*getssomecoffee*

9. Lee Morris

I can’t believe this sold twice as many copies as Enslaved. *holds head in hands*

10. Zeekiz

Haters gonna hate on a game they didn’t even play. Most of the negative comments here reflect on “I watched gametrailers review, they said its bad, I think its bad”.

Finished Kane and Lynch 2 yesterday, and by-god it was an awesome game! The only real shock was the time to complete the game, but either way, I would trade Kane and Lynch’s 3 – 4 hours for any 8+ hour game.
    The multiplayer/arcade mode surprised me, and kept me entertain for a lot longer than expected.

11. DSB

I haven’t played it yet, but a million isn’t exactly great, especially considering the insane ammount of pricedrops and sales it’s been on.

Bad times ahead for Io.

12. JoeX111

I love Kane and Lynch. I hope this means they make a sequel. Endless hundreds of sequels. Screw the haters.

13. YoungZer0

@12: Totally agree. Love the characters, though i still hope the next game will be a whole lot better. Gameplay- and Storywise.