DICE cancels PC versions of Battlefield 1943 and Onslaught for Bad Company 2

Thursday, 3rd February 2011 16:51 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DICE has taken to the Battlefield blog to announced it has canceled the PC port of Battlefield 1943 and well as the Onslaught for Bad Company 2 on PC.

According to Karl Magnus Troedsson, general manager of DICE, the firm’s priority has sifted from released products to development of Battlefield 3, but still plans to support BFBC2.

“In my day to day work, I look at our release schedule and the studio’s capacity, weighing them against our wild ambitions to create awesomeness,” wrote Troedsson. “I often need to make hard calls regarding where we put the studio’s focus. Part of the challenge is to balance work on the new against the already shipped, prioritizing the amount of energy spent on the known franchises and the time spent on developing something entirely new.

“This is one of those cross roads where I need to make a hard decision. While we’ll continue supporting Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and previous games, it’s time to look ahead to the next giant leap for DICE – the release of Battlefield 3, powered by the mighty Frostbite 2 engine. Our goal is crystal clear: we’re going to build the best Battlefield game ever, and we’ll do whatever it takes to make this the biggest launch in DICE’s history.

“We know some of you eagerly have been awaiting Battlefield 1943 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 Onslaught on PC. I’m sad to say that these two titles are now officially canceled. Instead, our talented teams will focus on delivering the greatest possible gaming experience in our next behemoth release.

“We’re confident this will lead to an even better experience in Battlefield 3, not only on PC, but on all platforms.”

Back in May 2009, DICE was noncommittal regarding whether Onslaught would be released on PC, due to concerns over too many 32-player dedicated servers being switched over to the four-player mode.  The firm said it would bring it to PC only if it would not affect players who didn’t their own server to run it on.

Onslaught was released on June 22 and 23 for PS3  and Xbox 360, respectively.

In November of last year, EA Games VP Patrick Soderlund said information on the PC version of Battlefield 1943 would be coming in “the not too distant future,” promising the title was still under development for the format.

Previous to Soderlund’s comment, the EA Store got gamers hopes up when it listed the game as being for sale, but it was later removed as a posting error.

Battlefield 1943 was released digitally on PS3 and Xbox 360 in 2009.

Meanwhile, in regards to Battlefield 3, the game is expected to be released within the final six months of 2011, with a formal reveal at GDC on March 1 as part of an EA Partners press conference.

1. DSB

Shocked. Shocked and appalled.

Except not.

2. back_up

Pirated PC gamers deserve it

3. Maximum Payne

@2 You are boring.Bad company 2 is sold twice as much as console version so STFU.Also WHO the hell want 1943 ? I am not.And for Onslaught it just not needed.

4. back_up

where is the proof ?
    due to steam sales BC2 PC players were peak but console players were outnumbering Pc users before

5. Stardog

This is what happens when you work for EA.

Bioware are finding it out too and their game quality is decreasing since ME1.

6. DSB

The problem with that, Payne, is that Bad Company 2 would have to be selling roughly a third more than EA have said to beat out consoles.

As for who wanted to played 1943? I did. But it was pretty obvious that they were never going to get their asses in gear.

7. DSB

Serious, PatGar. Edit function. By yesterday.

8. Maximum Payne

Well I just want Battlefield 3 to have awesome PC version then 1943 and Onslaught…And maybe you wanted 1943 but how many more PC people ? I think it is better that they give us Vietnam instead don’t you think ?You would give 12 quid also for 1943 which contain 2 map i think.

9. NeoSquall

I’m appalled.
    I hope EA will at least refund those who preordered 1943.

And @2 you bored us to hell and beyond.
    Just fuck off.

10. Kalain

Is back_up the new Loki?

You could tell they weren’t coming out due to their stance on the games whenever asked about them. Simple as. I’m more shocked that it has taken them this long to tell people that they have been cancelled.

11. blackdreamhunk

So what will pc gamers get out of all this? Like battlefield 3 was not going to be on the pc any way. I mean pc gamers are now missing out on Battlefield 1943 and Onslaught for Bad Company 2.

Maybe dice does not care about pc gamers no more there should be some sort of trade off here.

12. Maximum Payne

”there are frequently more PC gamers online than there are Xbox 360 and PS3 players combined.”

13. Old MacDonald

Somewhat disappointing. It’s a game I was going to buy, but on the other hand I don’t actually know if I would have played it that much. The problem with most of these multiplayer games is that they prominently feature other people, and other people are frequently shit.

14. Kalain

@back_up

Do you want sales numbers per console vs PC or sales numbers for All consoles vs PC?

I’m sure All consoles vs PC, the consoles sold more. BUt as for platform vs platform, the PC might have them licked individually. I can’t be sure but I’m not really going to search for the sales totals (of which they will be skewed since several sites don’t release sales figures).

I know, why don’t you get sales figures to prove that it sold more than the PC on a platform vs platform basis. Remember, ‘Consoles’ isn’t a platform for PS3 and 360 are..

15. Grimrita

Oh well – who cares about a shoddy port? I dont. After the bug filled BC2 on the PC, DICE need to focus on delivering a quality product.

As for back up – World of Warcraft is played by more PC players than ALL the console gamers put together and this is a PAID for game.

So please, crawl back under your stone. The PC is still the beast of gaming and deserves respect.

16. loki

Ha-ha-ha-ha

Pirated PC gamers deserve it

17. Anaron

I’d say it was pretty obvious that the PC version of Battlefield 1943 wasn’t coming. As for Onslaught mode, I didn’t think much of it.

18. JoeX111

I believe you’ve misquoted the guy. It should read:

“We’re confident this will lead to an even better experience in Battlefield 3, only not on PC.”

19. NeoSquall

Wait, I see now.

I’m sorry back up, I didn’t know you’re just grieving after a big loss in your life.
    I know that sometimes the anger is so much that you can’t just unleash on someone in the real world because they would beat you senseless, thus leading you to cry on these pages.

I’m sorry, I didn’t want to upset you more.

Please accept my excuse.

20. DSB

Here we go:

Those charts aren’t definitive, but based on circumstancial data they’re accurate within a certain margin. EAs own statistics are rock solid.

Now let’s start kidding ourselves that through some weird ripple in the space-time continuum, Bad Company 2 actually sold more on PC than on consoles.

@11 Great job quoting an article that quotes ANOTHER supposed second hand source, whose website has since ceased to exist.

And it was never a question of BF:1943 OR Vietnam. They said they’d do a port of the latter, which was extremely well recieved on consoles, and built on the same engine as Bad Company 2 and Vietnam, so yeah, obviously I was interested.

21. DSB

^^ *former rather than latter. Edit, seriously, now.

22. freedoms_stain

According to bfbcs there are 2.4 million PC players, 2.6 million 360 players, and 2 million PC players, however right now there are more than 28k PC players online vs less than 15k each on PS3 and 360.

So piracy doesn’t seem to be hurting the Battlefied series very hard.

23. Kalain

@DSB

Was that aimed at me or the guy beneath my post since I didnt quote any article.

24. DSB

Sorry about that Kalain. It was obviously aimed at 14.

Fucked by the lack of an edit funtion again :)

25. freedoms_stain

yeah, and I meant 2 million Ps3 players

DAMN YOU LACK OF EDIT BUTTON!

26. DSB

Dude, if we all hold hands, and wish for an edit button really bad, it will appear. I know it, I just do!

27. Gazza636

shame that pc users dont get to play both,they are great.:-(

28. Gekidami

^ 1943 was fucking terrible, imo…

29. Redh3lix

I’ve got 1943 on my PS3 and think it’s far too a shallow game for my PC, and all PC gamers tbh. Put it against BF:BC 2 and you’ll see what I mean. They may as well concentrate their efforts on Battlefield 3. :)

30. freedoms_stain

1943 is fun, but it’s like bf-lite.

It’s a good intro into the series.

I don’t think I’d enjoy BC2 as much as I do if I hadn’t come to 1943 1st

31. Yoshi

Even though I’m slightly gutted 1943 was never guna be too great on PC when we already had BC2 and Onslaught would have been nice if it gave you atleast a tad of xp at the end but it doesn’t XD So it’s just a time waster. BRING ON BF3 FFS DICE DON’T FUCK IT UP!

32. AHA-Lambda

i’m not surprised *sigh*

i love the pc and at times it truly can be the best platform imo but its shit like this that can seriously hold it back and even bring it down =(

33. TheWulf

I’m confused. What did we do to back_up?

I hope none of the PC gamers here took their rig over to his place to demonstrate just how amazing a decently kitted out computer can look when connected up to an entertainment system. If that happened then I suppose I could sort of understand his anger.

No one wants to see that. I did that once to a 360 owning cousin and he wept for hours. It’s just not cool.

(360/PS3 owners, my apologies for the above. This is not how I actually think, but it was entirely deserved in regards to back_up and his trolololol-ish shenanigans. :P)

34. Yoshi

@4 Just to counter your troll thirst but you do realise that not all Bad Company 2 versions are connected to Steam right? So you can’t go off Steam for sales.

35. nemsis