Dungeon Siege III’s multiplayer stiffs players out of XP

Sunday, 30th January 2011 23:10 GMT By Brenna Hillier

20110131dungeonsiege

Dungeon Siege III’s multiplayer sounds like a lot of fun in the best of dungeon-crawling traditions, but as none of your friends get anything out of the experience for their own saves, you’ll need to source some selfless co-op buddies.

According to Gamespot‘s preview, players joining you in co-op will serve as “assistants” to the host, making no progress in their own games.

A party limit of four applies regardless of player numbers. Alone, the player controls all four characters, but can have two online and one local, screen-sharing buddy to take up the slack, assuming you can find some. Drop-in drop-out multiplayer with a backup AI means you can probably do without them.

The preview also covered Dungeon Siege III’s abilities system wherein a single player can rotate through three stances, seemingly offensive, defensive and balanced. Levelling unlocks new abilities for purchase in each stance, but skill points are limited.

NPC interaction takes place on a dialogue wheel (or the end of a sword, probably), and like Dragon Age, improving relationships with party members can improve their performance.

Thanks, EvilAvatar.

1. Hunam

Sounds terrible.

2. The_Red

Diablo 2 is a good action RPGs / loot fests / dungeon crawlers and it was made ages ago. At this point, even copying that damned game will result in a decent title. Why they have to remove some of good parts about that while copying it, is beyond me.

3. DEADEYES

With Obsidian’s hands, i say NO with this game!

4. freedoms_stain

That seems like a stupid move.

I could see the point of perhaps not doling out XP for quests a player has already completed in their own save, but if it’s a new bit of the game for everybody involved why can’t they all get something out of it.

Character growth is a major part of RPG gaming, right?

5. realmagicmike

Obsidian has always been a mediocre developer. Things like this is why. In multiplayer, the “assistant” should get something out of it. No excuses.

6. Samuel

That’s a real shame. I was looking forward to this, and I’m still interested, since I love these kind of games. But this is a real disappointment to hear.

7. MushroomStamp

WHAT ! Wow, this totally ruins this for me. I was planning on playing a lot with my brother, but neither of us like wasting time for nothing.

8. KingCancer

when i read this in the latest gi i just shook my head. how the fuck does obsidian stay in business? might as well cancel it now because its below the bargain bin quality.