Ico Collection gets some hands-on time

Friday, 28th January 2011 15:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

icocollection

Gamespot has gotten its lucky hands on the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection for PS3, and decided to preview it for you.

According to the site, it went in “chronological order and tried out 2001′s Ico first,” and said the remastered version for PS3 “looks sharp and benefits from the HD upgrade.”

It said the frame rate and controls were solid despite the version it played being a “work-in-progress,” and additions to the original game in it are the inclusion of gameplay elements from the European version, which includes a two-player mode and an alternate ending. The 3D effects in it are “subtler,” than other games, meaning it wasn’t so “in your face.”

Shadow of the Colossus was a bit “flashier,” and “looks outstanding thanks to sharper textures that bring the game’s world to vivid life.” It also had a smooth frame rate, and the addition of 3D to it really “adds to the game’s visual impact.”

There’s the TGS video of it posted below, which you have seen a dozen or so times, but it’s worth watching again.

The Ico Collection is slated for a spring release on PS3.

1. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Cannot fucking wait. MAN this is going to be another expensive year to support my gaming addiction..

2. LePlatypus

I can’t wait for it!

btw Steph it wasn’t announced at E3.

3. theevilaires

I never played SoTC so this is going to be a hell of a treat and playing ICO again HD is going to be awesome. Might just watch my daughter play that one and she’ll watch me play SoTC :D Win/Win

4. Dralen

I also never got a chance to play SoTC, so I’m really looking forward to this. After the massive praise people keep giving it, I’m pretty sure it’s going to be awesome.

5. Stephany Nunneley

@2 DOH!

6. Blerk

How on Earth did so many people manage to miss SotC? :-(

7. Dralen

@6 My PS2 died on me about the time this came out, and I didn’t replace it in the end. I was a student at the time and couldn’t afford to cash out for a new one. I played my xbox ALOT that year.

8. Syrok

“gameplay elements from the European version”

Nooooo! Again, I will fail to finish it. ;_;

@Blerk
    “How on Earth did so many people manage to miss SotC? ”

“Ooh, this looks good. Got to buy this soon.”
    /four month later
    “Oh, yeah. I wanted to buy this” /leaves store
    /a year later
    /PS2 dead
    /PS3 get
    “Man, this game is expensive”
    /BC PS3 breaks

Like so^

9. Blerk

It’s amazing. You won’t be disappointed.

10. theevilaires

@ Blerk….people started making the transition to next gen I guess and PS3 had so many great games I was backed up. But honestly around that time I became heavily invested in my XBOX and KOTOR 1&2 was so addicting that my PS2 collected 3 pieces of dust….I was devastated of course when I saw that but KOTOR was just that damn good :D

Plus I knew the PS3 was going to be backwards compatible anyway. I own SoTC though. Its still wrapped in plastic along with many of my PS2 games I never got a chance to start yet. Okami howls at me every night :(

11. Blerk

You are dead to me now, TEA. No Okami either? FOR SHAME! :-D

12. theevilaires

That was a bad year for me man, a year that changed my perception of the world forever and now I have sky rocketed back even higher than I was before. I have the time to play them and I was planning to but I got use to being signed on PSN while playing my games and it feels weird to be disconnected playing a PS2 game on my PS3…..my friends can’t see what I’m playing :(

Its like having sex with a condom. I want the full glory feel of PSN while I’m gaming on my PS3 and that means PSN too :D If SONY can find a way to let us still be connected to PSN like they do with PS1 games then you’d see me playing PS2 games at least 3 times a week.

13. Blerk

/backs slowly out of the thread

14. baps

This and the last gaurdian was the main reason i got a ps3

15. Deacon

So do they just upgrade the textures and resolution for a HD remake?

16. Stephany Nunneley

I haven’t played SotC for horsey reasons. *goes out and hugs her horse Annabel and cries*

17. Hunam

I just hope they get a nice 60fps out of it. SotC chugged like crap on the PS2.

18. Deacon

Forgot framerate. There’d be no excuse for anything less than 60fps surely.

I’m very excited to play this in 1080p. I’m pretty sure I’ll be able to convince the girlfriend to shut up and watch too. She loves horses.

19. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Hey Tea – if I’m playing a PS1 game on PSN, I’ll put it in my comment encase anyone sends me a message since i can’t respond while i’m in there. :) Problem (slightly) solved!

20. walkingfiend

SotC and Psychonauts were the most memorable games I played last gen, and I’d bought a remastered remake of them even at full price.

21. theevilaires

Thats what I do also Dr.G but when playing PS2 games you get signed off entirely. I know the same is true for XBOX1 games on 360 too with Halo 2 being maybe the only exception but still even that was still playable online on the 360.

SONY should have though it all out and shows they weren’t really to launch PSN as a universal solution. Hopefully the PS4 will be different and we can still display our games what we’re playing….example PS3-Killzone 3 under your name. PS2-Jak 2 or whatever. SONY make it happen.

22. chronoss2

I dont understand something, people seem so excited for these two games, but on the other hand they didnt sell enough on PS2. Can you guys explain this to me ?

23. Dannybuoy

Great, I can’t wait. (and other things that rhyme with great)

24. Dannybuoy

@22. Because I never owned a PS2 so missed them and friends tell me how amazing they are. So now I finally get to experience them. That’s why.

25. theevilaires

@22 People we’re making the transition to next gen for SoTC and ICO was a cult classic that many believe deserves a second chance in the spot light chronoss2. Same applies to Beyond Good and Evil. CoD The fact PS2 also had so many dam great exclusives that many could barely keep up with. Every week a triple A game game out for PS2….well maybe not every week but every month at least 2.

26. osric90

The only thing I’m worried about this is… Am I going to have enough money to buy it? Anyway, I can’ wait… I really can’t wait for these two PERFECT games with lots of extras and HD resolution… Hope this is a TOP PERFECT QUALITY work and we all live happily ever after when this is released.

27. freedoms_stain

@22, never heard of Cult Following?

Plenty of great media slips under the radar of popular culture.

28. chronoss2

Ok guys, now you have no excuse not to buy them :) I have them on PS2 and i’m getting the Collection because of the HD and 3D..

29. Callum

^^ Can’t wait for these ! I got into Okami late-ish too, aswell as the God of War series…how I missed them I will never know.

30. gamingfan

Still no release date?

Its only going to be released in the next few months.

Can’t wait to get it.