Dead Space 2: Severed announced for PSN, XBL, won’t be going to PC

Tuesday, 25th January 2011 19:48 GMT By Johnny Cullen

deadspace23

EA’s announced Dead Space 2: Severed for PSN and XBL.

The content is an “all-new digital download pack” which sees the main characters of Dead Space: Extraction, Gabe and Lexine, return in “two standalone chapters”.

The player will control Gabe, who is a security guard on the Sprawl, as he tries to escape with Lexine against “his own onslaught of Necromorphs”.

It’ll run in parallel Issac Clarke’s story.

No price or timeline were given for its release. The info was mentioned in a press release published by EA to celebrate the main game’s release in the US today.

EA, however, has confirmed to VG247 tonight that the DLC won’t be coming to the PC version of the Visceral horror.

“Dead Space 2: Severed will not be available on the PC,” an EA rep told us in plain simple terms.

Dead Space 2 releases today in the US and on Friday in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC. The PS3 version will feature Extraction, where the characters of Severed come from.

You should buy it, judging by the scores the game’s gotten so far.

1. Ge0force

Can anyone explain to me why those two chapters aren’t on the retail disc? I’m so tired of buying incomplete games these days…

2. StolenGlory

Because EA are obsessed with humping your money.

3. Phoenixblight

Go read about the process of game making. A game has content locked down 12-15 weeks prior to release so if content can’t be finished its usually cut and since DLC can be on a different time table than the actual game they can now put the cut content into a DLC. So without the DLC being an option you wouldn’t see stuff like this or Shale, Zaeed, exiled prince (dragon age 2) at all.

Yes because all the DLC is forced on you. If you don’t like don’t buy it.

4. Ge0force

@3 So you’re actually saying Dead Space 2 is released as an unfinished product?

5. Phoenixblight

All games have cut content, none of them have all the things intended for the games. The companies just don’t list all the cut content so the public is none the wiser. SO with your view point no game is complete, well that is actually true.

6. revsoul

If you really believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.

Unless it’s months away Don’t release or announce DLC the week of release , it just looks bad.

7. Phoenixblight

I am actually in school about the process of creating and distributing software along with programming so yes I do know. And its not just video games that do this but software developers do the same thing.

Its not just the school saying the same thing but also the developers throughout the industry saying it too.

8. OrbitMonkey

@1 & 2 You could just wait for the GOTY/ultimate edition, which is bound to turn up in 6 months time…

9. revsoul

I didn’t say that you didn’t “know” something.

Many of us understand and are okay with some DLC (like GTA, Dragon Age, Fallout 3, etc). Completely understandable.

Some of us have a problem with companies who try to “nickel & dime” us to death. & the consumers who go along with it.

Anybody remember the “cheat codes dlc” for Madden that was like .49 – .99cents each? Ridiculous that people purchased that garbage.

10. Phoenixblight

EA is known for nickel and dimming the madden series but that is because you can’t do much with the series as far as updating the graphics so EA finds a way to make more money with one of their top selling franchise. The real culprits of bad DLC are Capcom and Ubisoft, who sell DLC that are actually on the disc. Thats a dick move and one of the reason why I don’t buy their games.

11. PEYJ

I highly disagree. I have preordered this game but I have a feeling that I might not keep it after a playthrough and some multiplayer. But if I can see some interesting DLC on the horizon I already know there is a reason to keep the game a little while longer.

Same thing more or less happened with Dante’s Inferno. They announced DLC just around the release. That didn’t sound interesting to me so I sold the game before the DLC was published, and so the game was worth a great deal more in trade-in.

12. orakaa

@3 : back in the days (not so long ago), when a game wasn’t FINISHED, it wasn’t SHIPPED, it was DELAYED.

Nowadays, more and more publishers intentionally CUT content from the final game, only to make players pay for it as DLC (just like Capcom with their DLC already on the disc).
    Sometimes it can help a developer to add some bonus content, but most of the time it’s a cheap and dirty practice planned months and months before.

But regarding “Dead Space Severed”, I think it’s fair : Dead Space 2 is a COMPLETE game in itself (and it’s already sold with a free Extraction copy for PS3 users) and Severed is a stand alone gaming experience.
    It’s nothing comparable with Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed 2 where part of the original game were missing, or such other examples

13. Phoenixblight

Wrong one of my professor has worked in the industry since the 80s and even she was saying content was cut all the time to make deadlines. Time = Money + Work.

Doesn’t matter, “back in the days” Video games didn’t cost 30-50 million. Publishers are not going to hand out more money to the developers if it doesn’t increase their profit. If this severed was included in the actual game and delayed for another 2 months would it increase profit, probably not and thats why they went the DLC route.

14. nofear360

@12: Publishers and developers can’t just delay a game whenever they want. There’s a little thing called budget that stands in the way of doing that, as well as other factors like the right time (EA can’t delay Dead Space 2 into February or March because not only do they have other games coming up – Bulletstorm, Dragon Age 2, Crysis 2 – which need breathing space so as to prevent canabalism but there competitors’ products to look out for as well).

You need to pay a little more attention to how businesses are run.

15. orakaa

@ 13 : “Dead or Alive” had DOZEN of alternative costumes… not “already on the disc costumes paid over 8 dollars each” on Street Fighter 4 or ONE additional alternate color for a few bucks as in BlazBlue.

“Back in the day”, a game like Assassin’s Creed 2, with its “missing chapters” wouldn’t have been released in that state, the same for Ubisoft’s Prince of Persia with its DLC ending, etc.

@14 : and you need to pay a little more attention to what I write: for me Dead Space 2 is a complete game and I’ll be very happy to buy it.
    Dead Space Severed is “something else” (it’s a stand alone gaming experience) that I may buy, and I don’t have a problem with that. On the contrary, if all DLC could be like that, I wouldn’t have a problem with it

16. Phoenixblight

I did mention that there are companies that will do the wrong thing with DLC like Ubisoft as you have mentioned and other developers. I don’t buy their games because I don’t want to encourage that behavior. I do however encourage how EA has done it with Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Dead Space, etc because you typically get a crap load of dlc for free just for buying the game new. Who can really whine about free stuff?

17. psybass

I’m pretty sure Gabe and Lexine died in dead space Extraction so wtf?! and no pc, as expected of EA! the game cool though!

18. AHA-Lambda

just as a heads up more dlc has been announced; weapon and suit packs

19. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Ok there’s just TOO many Dead Space:(insert title here) mini titles being released right now. So much that I can’t even keep up. Shame on you greedy publishers. I’ll be sticking to the main course thank you.

Oh, and I COMPLETELY agree with whoever up above said DO NOT announce DLC content anywhere within the first few weeks of launch. I too take it as an insult and it pisses me off.

20. Johnny Cullen

EA’s just emailed to confirm the DLC won’t be going to PC.

21. TraceableX

I’ll get the Limited Edition for PS3

22. Hunam

It’s only because EA don’t like to rely on steam, but when they put something exclusive on their own digital store it gets pirated or no one buys it.

23. Moonwalker1982

I expect my copy of DS2 thursday and i can’t wait. DS was long enough and i expect DS2 to be just as long. After finishing that, we’ll see about this DLC.

24. SwiftRanger

Not on PC? Guess that pretty much seals it for me not buying the game then.

25. albo88

long live piratery

26. loki

PC port is bigest failure in Dead Space

27. iSoLateD1

the PC version of Dead Space is the best one.

28. S0meRand0mN00b

i gues well have to pirate it now

29. SplatteredHouse

Read the article, then comment. In so doing you will see a distinction made, that this content cannot be *missing* content (like Ass. Creed II did) from the campaign – you play as characters from the related Extraction game.

Severed is an additional adventure/extension to the DS world. I don’t see why that type of DLC should be criticized, and in fact, see it as a win/win for all involved and would like it to happen more often.