Rumor: Metal Gear Solid HD Trilogy in the works for PS3

Friday, 21st January 2011 19:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

snakeeater

According to rumor listed in the latest issue of the Official PlayStation Magazine, Konami plans to release a Metal Gear Solid Trilogy in HD for PS3.

The magazine states (via CVG) “insider whispers” are saying the first three MGS games are being re-worked in HD and that Snake is currently “in the facelift queue”.

Whether it will be a digital or retail release wasn’t noted.

If true, it will be just the latest HD trilogy set for PS3, joining the likes of:  Tomb Raider, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, and The Sly Collection.

We’ll mail Konami.

Thanks, ScrawlFX.

1. MegaGeek1

Oh f*** yes!! Just show me where to sign Kojima son!

If you HD it, they will buy.

2. earlyrock

Excellent. All we need now is the GTA III collection and we’re in business.

Ive wanted these two the most.

3. Phoenixblight

Now all they need to do is SIlent Hill HD collection.

4. Razor

You have my money, Kojima-san.

5. Gekidami

The first 3? Will one of them be Twin Snakes, because i cant imagine a HD PSX game.

6. OrbitMonkey

About time. Especially good news if your a 360 owner… (i’m assuming this will be multi-format).

7. Johnny Cullen

JUST STICK IT INTO MY VEINS!

8. DuckOfDestiny

Now all they need is *Insert name of old game series here* HD collection

9. xtigerz

@ Orbit I DON’T THINK SO!

10. Gekidami

None of the other HD Collections have been. And how do you get ‘[...] & 360′ out of the words “In the works for PS3″?

11. xtigerz

@Gekidami This collection will only be for PS3. In your dreams Orbit!

12. MegaGeek1

@5, man I hope so. That would rock!

Plus they already have Metal Gear Solid out on PSN.

13. OrbitMonkey

Yeah I read the ps3 part, but Rising is multiformat & this HD collection would help raise its profile (if it comes out 1st).

14. Suikoden Fan

i mentioned that i heard of this in the news thread months ago along with final fantasy hd collection

15. NeoSquall

Oh, this is sweet!

I’ve been looking for years for MGS2:Substance and MGS3:Subsistence at a good price and now I don’t have to worry anymore :)

16. Dimacorgan

Hell YES!!! MGS3 is freaking AMAZING!

17. theevilaires

Goodbye XBOX360! Your headstart fails when this comes out

18. Bond James Bond

This is a PS3 fanboys wet dream. For the rest of us, well, it’s just more of the same mediocre bullshit we all know the MGS games are!

19. theevilaires

^ but yet spent countless months wishing for that MGS4 port eh ;) :D PS3 FTW baby!

Bathe in the glorious sounds of the MGS3 theme. Its so beautiful

20. Dr.Ghettoblaster

#2 + infinity

21. earlyrock

@18 You’re my wet dream ;)

22. Bond James Bond

^^I wouldn’t wipe my arse with the franchise…

PS3 FTW baby!

I think you should go back to school!

23. FATHASUN

HD remake with trophies I am sure. Will that not be somewhat strange since MGS4 does not have trophies? Or will Kojima finally appease us?

24. theevilaires

MGS4 trophy update + HD remakes with trophies equal too epic. I hope he does it or release MGS4 Sub edition with all HD remakes bundled on one Blu-ray disc.

Come on Kojima you can do it and give us a MGS5 exclusive demo too please :D

25. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Clearly Mr. Bond, you have not played these games in their entirety.

Wouldn’t it be something if they made it so MGS4 trophies are added ONLY by putting this HD remake disc in your system…talk about adding selling incentive…

26. Suikoden Fan

regardless of what i said earlier, great news love the mgs series, best stealth series out there

27. Bond James Bond

28. OrbitMonkey

If kojima wanted to appease me, he could edit the cutscenes down by about 50% o_O

29. TraceableX

I CANNOT WAIT.

30. osric90

YES, YES, YES!! Nowadays every rumour is ending to be true so YES, YES, YES!! (Orgasmic words) OH, YEAH, OH YES, YES… YES!! MGS1 (integral from PS1), MGS2S, MGS3S (with all extras, not like in Essential Collection) PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE… GIVE IT TO ME, PLEASE!! This is true, this IS TRUE. I love you, love you all, I love you so much… YEAH!! I’m coming!! (Someone is calling me, got to go, enjoy the news my fellows MGSers).

Edit: @24, you should be freakin’ working at Kojima Productions!

31. WetSnake

JUST TAKE ALL MY MONEY KONAMI.
    EVERYTHING.

32. Johnny Cullen

Basically, if there’s no Zone of the Enders 3 announce this year but there’s this, this would more then make up for it.

33. osric90

Hey! It would be cool if this is multilanguage though (subtitles), some games like GOW Collection didn’t have any other languages than english in their American version (which sells all over the Americas!) even having subs (english ones), when Canadian version and Spanish ones had ONLY or selectable spanish, french and english languages. In these times, it’s a MUST for every game to include selectable languages in the menu, even if they are only subtitles (MGS3S did in the PS2 and even in the American version of the game)… And NOT just throwing titles in the language they think it’s the best for the region or by selecting the language automatically (system language) without giving you any chance to change subtitles and stuff like that… if you want original voices and spanish texts for instance (Assassin’s Creed, Batman: Arkham Asylum). The best example to follow is Uncharted (sorry haters) which lets you chose practically anything your taste… And MGS4 of course. Hope the editors for this trilogy are Japanese and inside Kojima Productions so we get a TOP quality release like it SHOULD FREAKIN’ BE.

Edit: It should be REAL-TIME all the way too! Of course, OBVIOULSY!(not like those awful in-game prerendered low resolution cutscenes in GOW Collection). MGS games ALWAYS had REAL-TIME cutscenes and stuff like that and that’s just MAGICAL (think about it in 1998). If it’s touched or effed up, I’ll kill somebody, seriously. AND LAST BUT NOT LESS IMPORTANT: What the hell is with this as a digital release? That would be STUPID, wouldn’t it? With MILLIONS of fans and followers all over the world, this MUST come as a Blu-ray disc (GOW Collection, Ico and Shadow of the Colossus: The Collection …) or it will be a TOTAL FAILURE. Digital releases may come but TOO (for the ones that don’t want another disc in the shelf) not ONLY.

34. Thalius

OHHH YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh.
    AWESOME

35. triggerhappy686

@ theevilaires, that my friend was honestly the best link ive clicked all week. That StarSailor song at the end is fantastic too.

Every time i play snake eater i sit during the end credits totally blown away, the plot is totally movie worthy, infact the plot in snake eater is BETTER than some movies ive seen. Sometimes it randomly pops into my head and im all like “awww poor snake” “awwwwwwww poor boss, known as a traitor to her country when infact she was a hero who sacrafised everything she loved” MGS3 SUB is the best game I have ever played, I still think that today, I think I was actually in love with it :(

36. Erthazus

OWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW :3 SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT just hit the FAN.

37. triggerhappy686

OMG i cant stop thinking about this :)

Actually fantasizing over what the box art might be like :D

I love retail boxes, fu*k digital ;)

38. theevilaires

^ calm down trigger were all excited too :D its going to be a joyous time being chased by the Shagahod again in HD. You’re right about Snake eater too. Its way better than any movie I’ve seen in the past 10 years. Kojima really out did himself. What if he even redoes the engine and adds MGS4 controls in Snake Eater somehow?

39. triggerhappy686

^
    Your right about the controls, im hoping we get three dimensional fully movable camera in each and CQC on the shoulder buttons like 4. Top down camera just won’t cut it.

I think widescreen for each title is a given. Must be.

Not sure whether i want the original or Twin Snakes for number 1, getting Twin Snakes would keep the voice acting consistent 1 through to 4 though.

40. Dralen

Now this is what I’ve been waiting for!!! Will 100% be pre-ordering this bad boy.

I kind of hope that the first one plays like “Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes”, but I can imagine that might piss some people off, but I personally would much prefer the updated engine for the first one.

41. Erthazus

@40, please no. Twin Snakes is CRAP.

If they can use Twin Snakes sets then OK, but thats just it.

42. a7md1990

xbox guyz……why is it so hard to admit its suckness??
    seriously… get a life guys.

43. OrbitMonkey

@42 Stating 1 plastic box that plays games is not as good as another plastic box that plays games, is hardly a profound life defining moment is it? I mean if that’s what gives your life meaning, fair enough I guess… But maybe, just maybe you could slightly re-adjust your priorities, k?

44. GwynbleiddiuM

OH HELLLLLLL YEEEEAAAAH… (Austin 3:16 style)

If this is true then I’m the happiest man on the face of this planet, or any other for that matter.

I should put on my moonwalking suit.

45. Dimacorgan

@43 +1
    Anyway, this is GREAT news for me, too!