Dreamcast Collection due late February

Friday, 14th January 2011 02:42 GMT By Brenna Hillier

20110114dreamcastcoll

Sega has announced the Dreamcast Collection for PC and Xbox 360 is to be released next month, permitting those whose faithful consoles have curled up and died the chance to revisit several classic titles including Space Channel 5: Part 2 and SEGA Bass Fishing.

For those born too late to appreciate this bit of awesome-sauce, please note the total lack of sarcasm in my enthusiasm.

Available on disc for PC and Xbox 360 as well as through digital distribution channels, the Dreamcast Collection releases on February 25 in Europe, February 22 in North America, February 24 in Australia and February 25 in New Zealand.

The full line up is Sonic Adventure; Crazy Taxi; SEGA Bass Fishing; and Space Channel 5: Part 2.

Putting aside the questionable value of those first two, the only possible detracting factor is the lack of an official Dreamcast fishing rod peripheral, a delightful bit of engineering which briefly made fishing games a thing you were happy to admit to owning.

Revamped re-releases of the original Space Channel 5 and SEGA Bass Fishing for the PlayStation network and Xbox Live Arcade were confirmed in October, too.

1. DaMan

why no Sonic Adventure 2?

2. freedoms_stain

I tried the demo for the XBLA version of Crazy Taxi… Some games just don’t age well.

3. TraceableX

pass, pass.

Release a decent collection.

4. frostquake

What a FUGLY collection..this is a HUGE PASS for me…Yuck!

5. TheWulf

Space Channel 5 makes the entire pack worthy in my opinion. If the price is low enough, it’ll be worth it for that alone.

Ahh… I remember that era, back when I liked consoles, before they became all westernised and suddenly 9 out of 10 console games ended up being sandbox games that looked suspiciously like every other sandbox game, driving me off to brood in my tower of personal computing.

I wish the consoles were still getting games that look as pretty as Guild wars 2, or Okami. But I digress, sorry.

Space Channel 5? Worth it.

6. chronoss2

Sega have been making 16 bits collections since PS2 and it’s always the same damn games (street of rage, sonic1, alex kidd…).. with dreamcast it will be the same :/

The day they will put Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio or some great Dreamcast games i’ll buy it, because the games they will include in the disc are really not good anymore.

It’s a BIG fan of SEGA talking :)

7. Zurtech

Still not JSR or Shenmue then?

8. Blerk

Dreamcastlol!

9. StolenGlory

Shenmue, Skies of Aracdia and Jet Set Radio or…

NO FUCKING SALE.

10. Fin

PHANTASY STAR ONLINE V2 PLEASE

11. Gekidami

^ I’d rather they released Blue Burst in that case.
    Though theres not much chance of Sega re releasing PSO because i doubt they’d want to host servers for it. Not after BB utterly failed.

They’ll want to keep their focus on PSO2 now, not go back.

12. SplatteredHouse

I see no Jet Set Radio. Is Move support a confirmed feature of Sega bass fishing, in this case? Oh! So, the disc contains SC5.2… but then, they’re also bringing the original as a download. Would prefer to just download BOTH tbh.

Sonic can go take his Adventure to the bottom of the nearest expanse of suitably deep liquid – WHAT is it with them, and re-re-RE releasing that darn thing?! Crazy Taxi, well, the meter’s really running on empty for that, after what you’ve done to it, Sega.

13. M2Kx

Ehm… well, yeah. Awesome collection >_<

14. OlderGamer

I LOVE SEGA. I mean LOVE. People tend to think I don’t like JP games, far from the truth. I just don’t enjoy most of their recent offerings.

But what about a Sega Saturn Collection?

HD remixes of Daytona USA, VF, Panzer Dragoon, Gaurdian Hereos, Shining Force, and so much more.

I like Dreamcast, I think its either Dreamcast or Turbo Duo as my fav all time system(hard to call it), but they have so much better games they could do for a collection.

I would kill for a HD remix of PSO v.2. I mean it, one of the best games ever made, imo.

But I have the Sonic Adventure on xbla, Crazy Taxi as well. Bass Fishing w/o the controler is like half the game, and Space Channel 5 was decent at best(just not my cup of tea)(I like Sambia De Amego much more). Could have picked better games or simply more games, three or four titles is hard to call a collection.

15. earlyrock

I was a bit disappointed with the recent DC ports on the PS3 and Xbox. I don’t think I’d go for this, but I might bring the old DC back out for a game or two.

16. OwningXylophone

Does anybody know if the Rapala Tournament Fishing controller is set to be supported in Sega Bass Fishing? As lets face it, a fishing game without the rod controller is even worse than real fishing!

17. TheWulf

I can certainly agree with the love for Skies of Arcadia, Jet Set Radio, and Shenmue. Especially Skies, which was one of the best Asian-created RPGs I’ve ever played, the exploration aspect and the things to discover were sublime. And it didn’t have an angsty hero! Vyce was actually charismatic and entirely likeable.

@8: Very mature, Blerk. :P How old are you, again?

@11: Blue Burst existed for a time on the PC, before being shut down due to lack of interest. The same thing happened to Universe, much to my lament.

I can’t see them repeating what they thought to be a failed experiment.

@14: I would very much like to see that too.

And I often wistfully wish for a modern reimagining of Panzer Dragoon. I know it’s never going to happen, but I can dream, can’t I? I don’t know what it is with me and dragon games though, since I’d also like to see a modern redo of Drakan. The original Drakan, which had flight sim controls. Not like that’s going to happen either. Blargh.

Oh – and I’m talking about a colourful reimagining of the original Panzer Dragoon, too. Not the unforgivably drab Orta.

Something about flying a dragon does much to spark my imagination.

If only Lair wasn’t shit. I could’ve loved Lair, but those controls and boring visuals…