Killzone 3 trailer highlights the game’s storyline

Thursday, 6th January 2011 16:40 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

killzone3

A new story trailer for Killzone 3 has just been released.

It details plot in the shooter from the perspective of both sides of its conflict.

Sev, Rico and Narville, are in there, along with female ISA member Jammer, as well as the possible heirs to Visari’s throne – Jorhan Stahl and Admiral Orlock.

As previously announced, Malcolm McDowell plays the Stahl Arms CEO, and Ray Winstone plays the Helghast Admiral – both of which you will hear in the video.

Watch the trailer below.

Killzone 3 is scheduled for release in late February.

1. Howie Feltersnatch

Eh. Can’t wait for the game, but I don’t think people are planning on buying Killzone 3 for the story..

2. onlineatron

Damn, my excitement levels just ‘sploded over everything.

I love the idea of a civil war within a war!

‘Yo dawg… I heard you like war…’

3. get2sammyb

@1 – I dunno. Normally I’d agree but if this trailer is indicative of the whole game then it’s going to be a HUGE step forward from what GG’s done before. The characters seemed really interesting to me, even from that tiny teaser.

Like @2 said — a civil war within a war, in which you’re playing as the stranded under-dogs sounds VERY interesting.

4. theevilaires

GODDAMN!!!!!!!!!!!!

R3 > HALO

KZ3 > CoD

PS3 only does…it better.

For all the cry babies who bitched about KZ2 had no story be prepared to have you socks knocked right off. That trailer is proof that 2011 will be the best year in gaming. A civil war within a war is awesome and I can’t wait to see who back stabs who.

Will Rico turn on the ISA and become leader of the new Helgan Faction?! OHHHHH I can’t wait to find out next month in 3D! :D

5. Gheritt White

@ 4: Why does it always have to be some kind of bloody competition?? You’ve been here TWO YEARS now FFS, grow up already. I expect better from you than BDH.

6. Crysis

@5, he wants to make a couple of psp babies with his ps3, that’s why! :P

7. theevilaires

Uhhh I was stating my own preference Gheritt. Not trying to start a useless flame war. You take things out of context…. a lot.

@6 I really need to carry around some type of bug repellent for you don’t I. GET-OFF-MY-COAT-TAILS….YOU Aussie bum.

8. Heartfyre

I think you can boil the science of popular trailer-making down to one important point – put a repeating string melody into it, and people will eat it up.

Even knowing this, I enjoyed that trailer, though. The Killzone backstory, the stuff that’s never mentioned in the games, is decent, but they’ve yet to incorporate a good plot into the games. But we’ll see what this one comes out with…

The final segment screams Assassin’s Creed, too. :P

9. Psychotext

After experiencing what they did with the story in 2, I’ll believe it when… well, when reviewers tell me that it’s a shitload better.

10. Crysis

Eh, adding Aussie in the least bit necessary?
    Stop getting so defensive, i have no affect on your relationship with your fiance, that even legal where you live? I mean i have a little foreplay with it every now & then, but you take it way too far :P
    In all honesty I wouldn’t be messing with you if you didn’t feel the need to defend your favourite console, couldn’t you say something less fanboyish such as:
    “With the likes of Resistance 3 & Killzone 3, It’s a great year ahead with shooters for PS3 owners” Or is that too mature for you to say?

11. Gheritt White

@ 7: Yeah, you’re right. My bad. Apologies. I must be stressed…

12. theevilaires

@9 speak of the devil, you’re one of them. I highly doubt you played liberation or own a PSP so I understand where your ignorance comes from.

13. Johnny Cullen

When they kill off Rico, it’s an automatic ten from me.

14. theevilaires

Kill him off when betrays the ISA. It will feel more rewarding but Gurrella may pull a Kojima on us and Rico may become the new Raiden.

15. get2sammyb

@13 – £10 says he dies in this one.

16. Johnny Cullen

TEA – I doubt it.

sammy – *fingers, legs, arms, toes crossed*

17. Razor

Looks boring.

18. theevilaires

Well I hope the campaign is at least 8 hours. KZ2 had a decent length.

19. Psychotext

@12: The PSP game is irrelevant. Killzone 1 had an interesting story, Killzone 2 didn’t… and I’m waiting to see what they do with Killzone 3. The backstory is solid, no question (I’ve praised it in the past), but what good is it if they only use all of 10 minutes worth of it in a game?

Hell, you could have put together a trailer like the one in this story for Killzone 2. Problem is that you’d have seen everything that they put in the game if they did. That they made a “story” trailer is an indication that they realised how much they fucked it up with 2, so at least that’s encouraging.

20. OrbitMonkey

That was all kinds of awesome :) Loving the Helghan’s British accents (we do make the best bad guys).
    P.s. What’s with the Rico hate? It’s good to have a arsehole amongst the ISA do gooders.
    P.p.s. About 1min 30 secs in, did I see the the assassin lady from killzone 1?

21. theevilaires

@ psychotext this one will be better for sure.

@ OrbitMonkey I think that was her. Good eye.

22. Mike

For sure how? Have you played it?

23. Erthazus

This was the best Killzone trailer i ever seen.

If game will be like that, then it’s going to be really amazing, if it’s going to be like in previous gameplay videos… meh at best for fanboys.

24. Gekidami

Thats not Luger (from KZ1), shes a new character called Jammer.

25. theevilaires

^ what are you sleeping with an employee at Gurellia? How the hell do you always know this stuff :D

….and please tell MIKE this will be better for sure….guy has some balls hasn’t even picked up a DS3 in ages I bet.

26. Mike

How do you know? 1 wasn’t all that. 2 not much better – just looked good. Why the blind faith?

27. theevilaires

I just watched it again in full screen and its just stunning. Crysis 2 doesn’t have a chance in hell.

28. Seraphemz

KZ2 is one of the only FPS I ever passed…and I really liked it.
    I would love to play this (KZ3) on 3d…

Edits …POS swype and auto fill!

29. theevilaires

Blind faith? LMAO You don’t even have a PS3, probably never even played any of the Killzones but you think HALO is the all be all of FPS….welcome back Mike, we’ve missed you :D

30. reask

I know I wont be getting it day one.
    Gonna wait till I read players thoughts on it first.
    2 Disappointed me having read stellar reviews and then experiencing a quite average game.
    I do have hopes they can do a UC2 on it as K2 had potential but never quite got there imho.

31. Mike

So you’re opinion is based on the assumption that I haven’t played the Killzone games?

I have. I owned a PS3 (day one in Europe – cost me £500) and sold it, too. Mainly due to games like Killzone not being as good as they looked in the videos. :)

32. anuekr

Assassin’s Killzone anyone?
    The trailer kicked a$$, too bad they put the assassin crap in the end, ruined the whole thing, KZ3 could succeed by itself, I know I’d buy it nevertheless, too bad GG doesn’t think that their game is good enough to stand by it’s own.

33. theevilaires

^ what a fool. you do know that its more of every gamers favor to own a PS3 for its high quality excellent exclusives that the other way around for XBOX 360 right. You sold it because you needed the money for your meds.

The only exclusive that has been a sequel and wasn’t better than the original this gen by SONY has been R2….Guerilla won’t make that mistake.

34. Mike

I sold it because it wasn’t very good. Still isn’t, really – bar Heavy Rain and Uncharted 2.

35. Mike

Anyway, we obviously disagree, so what’s the point in carrying on arguing?

36. theevilaires

afraid of being exposed?….yea you’re a real gamer sir.

Don’t be a fool 2011 Belongs to SONY

37. OlderGamer

Alot of good looking PS3 games headed out the door this year.

All I can say is I am glad I have my Dreamgear controller. Looks, works, built, almost feels like a xb360 one, but its fully PS3. Can’t boot up the PS3 w/o it.

38. OrbitMonkey

Killzone 3 comes out around my birthday, so may just ask for this :D

39. Mike

2011 belongs to PC.

40. AHA-Lambda

EPIC trailer! :D

also malcolm mcdowell AND ray winstone? GG know how to get some damned good british actors for theri games! They’ve always been the best part of the killzone games lol

41. Dr.Ghettoblaster

KZ3 is 30FPS 720p right?

42. Gekidami

^ I believe so. Resolution is lower in 3D though.

43. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Looking forward to them being able to run a game like KZ3 at 60FPS 1080p. Soooooo smooth…

That’s one reason why I always enjoyed the COD games, 60FPS

44. lexph3re

I think that’s in reverse. I think its 1080p 60fps without 3d and. 720p 30/60fps with. 3d. I think that’s what I remember for their announcement. But, I don’t know I want kz3 but after I get my kz2 back from my friend so I can finish it. So, I’m tryin not to do to much diving into kz3 for fear of spoilers

45. Gekidami

Nah, its 720p 30FPS.

Steven Ter Heide:
    “Absolutely. It’s 720p, like Killzone 2. It’s always a trade-off between how crisp you want things to look and how much you want going on on-screen. We feel that with our cinematic feel, with lots of particles and graphical filters and motion blur which we put on top of each other, that works best in 720p. We’re aiming for 30fps, both for 3D and standard. 3D is obviously a little bit of an overhead, because you have to render twice.”

(If i dont post text after the blockquote its not in the box)

46. Psychotext

(If i dont post text after the blockquote its not in the box)

Ahh, that’s how you get around that little bug. Nice.

47. Gekidami

BTW: The trailer on the PSBlog is cut. Go to killzone.com to see the uncut version.

48. lexph3re

I appreciate the find because I would’ve read the whole thing and I’m. Already having a small war against my mainstream. Gaming friends who know almost nothing about games other the “halo, and cod” I don’t know how they got this waysmh

49. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Wow. The first time i watched this at work.

I JUST saw this with headphones on at home, and DAMN, that was some good shit! I’m impressed.

50. psybass

mika@ “2011 belongs to PC.” no dude pc gaming dying by each year… as far as you can see xbox 360 and ps3 taking the best exclusive games, its so painful for me.

and you theevilaires shut the fuck already!

51. spiderLAW

looks fucking amazing!!!!!1

UUGGGGGGGGG cant fucking wait!!!!