Mass Effect 2 PS3 uses ME3 engine

Sunday, 2nd January 2011 22:33 GMT By Johnny Cullen

me2 ps3

The PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 will use the Mass Effect 3 engine, developer BioWare has confirmed.

“We actually created the engine for Mass Effect 3 and used that to make Mass Effect 2 PS3,” producer Jesse Houston said in an episode of the BioWare podcast.

“So we took the content, the story and all of the other assets that made up Mass Effect 2 and we put it into the Mass Effect 3 engine.”

EA released a taster for ME2 on PS3 just before Christmas. It’s out now on PS Store.

Mass Effect 2 for PS3, which includes all of the game’s PDLC and an interactive comic explaining the events of the first installment, releases on January 21 in Europe.

Mass Effect 3 got its official announcement at the VGAs last month. It’ll release on PS3, 360 and PC this upcoming holiday season.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. blackdreamhunk

I am glade they are using a better engine a game like this deserves the best engine.

You know there is not a lot future game or space games like there use to be.

2. cookiejar

Demo is great. Really looking forward.

3. xino

i think the whole Engine thing is bollock and a lie. Just a way to sell to ps3 gamers. Because I saw nothing mind blowing when I tried the demo;/

4. freedoms_stain

@3, from what I understand they’re using all the same assets so I wouldn’t expect a massive improvement or even a massive difference. Things to look out for will be things like lighting, shadows, particle effects, physics, maybe animations, these are the things the engine takes care of.

5. burrsalem

Well don’t the Mass Effect games utilize Unreal Engine 3? Pretty sure that’s the case so it’s not really a “new engine” at all, just an updated one like with any series iteration. ME2 ran and looked better than the first one and I’m sure ME3 will be no different.

6. Kuwabara

well im not that impressed by the visuals ive seen in the demo on ps3, the game looks ok, but its over hyped. So is the game. Does the game get much better from what was seen in the demo?