Chair details upcoming Infinity Blade DLC, teases potential Kinect version

Wednesday, 15th December 2010 11:22 GMT By Nathan Grayson

infinityblade

Playthroughs numbering well into the double-digits. Every weapon, ring, and piece of armor mastered. So many duels with the God King that we’ve started attempting to translate his weird gibberish language for fun.

We need more of this game. Like, now.

Thankfully, Infinity Blade’s first update is dropping next week. Better still, it’s free – as all future Infinity Blade updates will be.

Next week’s “booster pack” will raise the game’s level cap to 45 by adding five new weapons, five helmets, five shields, and one armor set. Also, you’ll have the opportunity to tussle with something called the “Marrow Fiend,” which is one of those things that we fear based solely on the amount of pain its name implies it could inflict on us.

As for what’ll be in future updates, Chair’s not quite ready to discuss specifics. However, Chair’s Donald Mustard gave Joystiq an outline of what we can expect from the highly addictive hack ‘n’ slash.

“There will be new areas to go to, the story will be evolving a little more as you see what the God King is really up to, and we’re going to let people go down into the dungeons. For high-level players especially, you’ll start to find some enemies that make the [current] enemies look like nothing,” he said.

Kinecting the dots

Interestingly, Mustard also admitted that Infinity Blade began life as a game for Microsoft’s living room-devouring Motion Lord, Kinect.

“If we were going to make a Kinect title, what would we make? What would a Chair Kinect game look like? That discussion happened, you know, a year and a half ago,” he explained.

“We had this really cool design, and it’s not that dissimilar from the game you’re playing today; it’s just been refined and adapted to the iOS screen, which honestly I think is where the design works the best.”

Already frantically searching for your receipt to return that Christmas Kinect and pick up an iThing instead? Slow down. All hope for an Xbox 360 version of Infinity Blade certainly isn’t lost.

“Yeah,” said co-founder Geremy Mustard, “if the Kinect really takes off over the holiday season, who knows?”

We have no problem with this. The more Infinity Blade, the better, we say. The hunched backs and long, gray beards we’ve cultivated while spending way too much time with the game agree wholeheartedly.

1. KAP

Just downloaded this game on my new 3GS and im really quite shocked how well the graphics hold up… damn. Amazing.

Just reached XP LV2.. cant wait to really sink my teeth in later today.

2. Moonwalker1982

Yeah the graphics of the Iphone 4 surprise the hell out of me. I saw that Rage games on my bro’s Iphone 4, and also Epic Citadel and screenshots and movies of SFIV and Resident Evil.

3. Gadzooks!

Well Kinect is selling very well and a lot of buzz is being genrated from word of mouth which is overwhelmingly positive, so I’d expect to see a Kinect version pretty soon!

4. onlineatron

Can’t help but think it would work better with MOVE rather than Kinect.

5. OlderGamer

Why?

I would prefer neither, but I don’t see why one would be better then the other?

6. Psychotech

these gimmicks will wear off eventually.
    Kinect is selling but i know a lot of people who returned it,sold it after 2 weeks or so.the hype is already toning down. The same thing applies with Move.

7. onlineatron

Surely the accuracy of the Move controller would be more ideal than the Kinect.

With the Move I’d imagine they’d be a greater deal of skill involved than just flailing your arms around on Kinect.

8. Erthazus

@Psychotext, i’m dreaming? O___O

I remember you were: Kinect is Teh future.

9. JonFE

I guess you are confusing Psychotech, with Psychotext, Erthazus…

10. OlderGamer

I own Move, I don’t own Kinect. Might get it for my wife post xmass.

We already don’t use Move, kind of like the Wii. They just sit there. “lest with Kinect we wouldn’t have to have all of those wands and attachments laying around. But, I think I would still rather play this or just about any other game out there with a traditional control pad.

That being said, I do enjoy the odd “sport” game with Move, Wii, and I would imagine on Kinect as well. I just can’t understand the notion that these types of control scemes should be implemented all of the time.

Sure they might work, but they don’t enhance the gameplay experience. In most cases they hinder it. Plastic instraments for music games, Wheels for racing games, and motion controls for bowling/golf/ping pong/tennis are all good. But much else = meh for me.

The problem I see if fragmenting the motion market.

I could see games being duel developed for Move and Wii. As they both seem to mimic each other. But 3rd party Wii games don’t sell well. And Kinect is out selling Move(I have read badly, but honestly think it is too early to call at this point). My point being is that if there was an established cross platform market where big name devs could sell their games. I think we would see stronger and better games.

But there isn’t.

So expect a lot of “Now with Move support!” from Sony. Alot of off of the wall games from no name studios that lack in both quality and production values for Kinect. And more of “No one buys our games on Wii” type stuff.

Meaning that the whole motion controls thing is not really going to gain traction. It should do alright, maybe, but I don’t think it is going to atract the type of attention it needs from big name franchises to work.

Move Vs Kinect Vs Wii.

IMO, who cares. All just gimickie distractions. Nice for your none gamer friends. Nice for a round of something with the wife, kids, or grandkids.

I just don’t look at a game and think, “Damn, if only they would enable Move for that thing then I would buy it!”

In the end Onlineatron, you might be right. Move might have the best pinpoint controls. But that is like having the best chance to win at Le Mans, from the Go Kart devision.

11. Erthazus

@JonFE, I’m Lol… *facepalm*

12. KAP

You forget mate, its the games that make the device.. not the other way around.

When the games start to untilise the products better, praise will follow.

Kinect and Move are still in early stages to ever say they have failed…. its only been a few months. Damn.

13. OlderGamer

I disagree somewhat. I see a big push to make current/old PS3 games Move compatible. And I just don’t think that adds anything to those games(unless they are bowling/golf/tennis/etc).

And I never said they have failed. I just don’t think they will be as far reaching as some people seem to think. I feel they will remain a very small niche. And I feel that Move will have a VERY hard time selling beyond that because it lacks two things:

1)A entry price for the intended casual market. An expensive system(PS3), with expensive wands and wand attachments.

Lets say a family of 4 wanted to get into Move from scratch. Thats 300usd for the system, 100usd for the starter Move Bundle, 150usd for the rest of the wands, extra if the wand attachments are needed/wanted.

Thats 550usd before you even add games.

Wii costs 200usd, plus controlers.

xb360 costs 200usd, plus 150 for kinect. No extra controlers needed.

None of it cheap or even anywhere near an impulse purchase. Which lead me to number 2.

2)More people own XB360s or Wiis. Simple as that. More people are already more then half way there by owning MS/Nintendo hardware. Could say the samething about exsisting PS3 owners too, but you can’t.

Not really.

A large chunk of those PS3 owners are in JP. Over inflating the and skewing the numbers globaly a bit. The absolute bulk of the xb360 owners are western.

Everyone owns a Wii. East, west, north and south.

I think Move has a large bit of growth potential in JP. I think much smaller in western markets. I think there we will see Kinect sell more. Much more.

And all of it for nothing(gamewise). I don’t see Kinect nor Move having lasting longevtity. I have always felt these things were a bit of a trojian horse. Trying to get them into homes that will end up buying Movies/TV shows/or casual Digital Games. Once/if you can get a PS3 w/move or a XB360 w/kincet for less then 250usd – watch out.

Kind of like everyone has a Wii, yet almost no one plays the thing.

Once MS or Sony sells a motion/casual system into a new home that is new revenue from other streams. MS will be very happy to sell you a LIVE GOLD script so you can watch ESPN3/netflix/whatever they want.

There is a lot to it. And honestly I am not sure Sony fully grasps that(in the same way they failed to understand that having a xblive style gold subscript plan would have helped them out infinatly in the long run), its about more then games. It is just a bigger picture type of thing.

And that is why I think Sonys idea of making your FPS experience Move enabled is going to fail. I think these things are about reaching more homes more then they are about redefining your game experiences.

14. KAP