Mass Effect 3 confirmed for 360, PC and PS3

Sunday, 12th December 2010 15:49 GMT By Johnny Cullen

me3 2

Mass Effect 3 will release on PS3, 360 and PC next year, EA exec Patrick Buechner has confirmed on Twitter.

Here’s the tweet:

“Mass Effect 3 is coming to Xbox 360, PC and….. PS3!”

No platforms were announced during its reveal at the VGAs last night, but the game was listed on the EA Store for PS3, 360 and PC when it accidentally appeared on Friday evening.

Buechner was the first to hint of an impending BioWare announcement at last night’s event last month.

Get the debut trailer here.

Mass Effect 3 releases next holiday season.

1. SaintRasmus

Please no multiplayer

2. Erthazus

I like them saying:

……PS3!

It’s like they are dissapointed :D that MS forgot to give EA some money.

3. Vistrix

So can we expect a Mass Effect 1 + 2 release on the PS3? A Mass Effect Collection would be nice.

4. Erthazus

@3 No. Microsoft owns Mass Effect 1 franchise.

5. Lazerate

well that was a no brainer with Mass Effect 1/2 comming out in january for the ps3. i cant wait, finally i can play mass effect lol.

6. FRGT10

@3 Like @4 said, you can only play ME1 in form of an interactive comic for the PS3 version.

7. Qwaf

@3 Mass Effect 2 is coming to PS3.

@4. No. Microsoft do NOT own the Mass Effect 1 franchise. They published it on their console because back then, Bioware was not owned by EA, and it was common practice for Bioware to do that with Microsoft.

EA then bought Bioware and published it on PC, with obviously no exclusive deals (otherwise Microsoft would have published it on PC). The reason why the first isn’t and didnt go to PS3 is nothing more than a time and cost issue. They were already into Mass Effect 2 by the time a PS3 version could have been in the pipe-line, and putting extra resources into filling Sony’s policy of requiring extra content for games that come late to their platform would have been a big resource drain.

8. onlineatron

I’m torn.

Do I buy Mass Effect 2 on PS3 and then use that character for ME3? Or do I stick with my much beloved Sian Shepard… Controlled throughout ME1 and 2 on 360?

DAMN YOU DECISIONS!

9. cookiejar

@8 If you’ve had it from the first, I’d say keep it going on the 360. Without a doubt.

For me, I never played 2 so I’ll be grabbing 2 and 3 on the PS3.

10. Moonwalker1982

For the people who don’t have a 360 and only a PS3, next year will be great. Two ME games in one year, oh my.

11. Johnny Cullen

I’m getting it on everything. I have Mass Effect 1 and 2 on 360, but I’m getting ME2 next month on PS3.

When ME3 releases, I’ll be getting it for PS3 and 360. And whenever I have a desktop that will run it, all three on PC!

*pumped*

12. onlineatron

Your idea sounds solid JC.

Sian and I shall save the universe once again!

13. Prof.Dr.Moertel

@11 stop working and go to bed JC. You´re getting crazy :D

14. Moonwalker1982

@ 11

But why is that? Why would you want to buy it again? :) Unless they’ll put some new stuff in it, i ain’t gonna buy it for my PS3.

15. pukem0n

they didnt say anywhere that they come at the same time or did they? ^^
    x360 first and after 3-6 months PC and PS3 then…

16. Erthazus

@15 So you would know. 360 version was out at the same times as a Pc version.

+ PC version had better visuals and resolution.

this tieme it will come out for the 360, Pc and Ps3 identically.

17. Psychotech

@15 Don’t get too happy about it.That’s the purpose of this tweet.It doesn’t take much to understand that.
    everyone is satisfied…almost

18. loki

@16 +PC have bags, lugs and many technical problems as usuals

EA kills Bioware, before bioware thought about quality of the game, Now the number of platforms. Fail

19. Hunam

Staggering release between platforms never really works out properly, having a launch of all at the same time is the only way to get the impact you need for a game of this size. Mass Effect 2 on the PS3 will probably do well, but pale compared to the the PC and 360 versions. With Dragon Age they could have released on the PC 5-6 months earlier then followed with the console versions, but they knew it would be a disaster to do that. I bet the same is true for Awakenings too.

20. osric90

Priorize this: 2 HD-DVD Vs. 1 Bluray disc. Having the trilogy in one console. As for me, I only have the first game on my Steam account. I’ll be buying 2 and 3 for PS3.

21. Gekidami

^ The 360 dosnt use HD-DVD’s.

22. Erthazus

HD-DVD games on the 360?

23. freedoms_stain

It’ll be PC for me. I got the first one on the cheap from the EA store ages ago and only recently started to play. Damn that game hooks you in, can’t believe I waited so long.

24. Mike

I started on 360, I’ll finish on 360.

25. JUSTICAR

say no to multiplayer!!!!!!! it will ruin everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!

26. onlineatron

*ahem*

27. NiceFellow

Can’t believe people thought EA would stagger the ME3 release. Why on Earth would they buy Bioware, put the franchise on PS3 as well then stagger it?

From the second EA bought Bioware ME2 was bound to release for PS3 and ME3 was bound to be a true multi-platform title/release.

I mean, this is all very obvious once Bioware was acquired, no?

28. Hunam

Of course they wont stagger it. I bet 95% of the reason ME2 is even going to the PS3 is to allow the PS3 team to work on something bigger and to really get to know the engine and the software without holding back ME3 whilst they learn, this way they can have a bigger PS3 programming team working on them both to make ME3 be the best product they can.

29. blackdreamhunk

keeping my fingers crossed on maxed out graphics for pc for mass effect 3. CE for me all the way hehehe.

30. Hunam

I’ll only buy the CE of ME3 if the box art is as fucking awful as it was for ME2 on the standard box.

31. Crysis

@30, yes, because we ONLY buy games because of the boxart, that’s always been the most important part of any game, such a key component, i mean the only time you even look at it after buying it is when you take it in & out of it’s case.

32. Isaaclarke37

Awesome news, i knew it was going multiplatfrom this time around.

33. Blerk

Amen, Hunam! I expect and demand something of “80s sci-fi straight-to-video” quality! :-D

Anyway, great news for everyone. Multiplatform is nice, yes?

34. hjyu38

Wonderful.

Share a website with you ,

put this url in google sirch

(http://www.aamall.us )

Believe you will love it.

We accept any form of payment

35. spiderLAW

I started on 360. I beat ME1 4 times on 360 then i beat ME2 twice on 360…Going to beat ME2 on PS3 4+ times and then buy ME3 for PS3 and beat it 10+ times. O, and i played and beat both on PC also.

36. Bond James Bond

Just like ME 1 and 2, i’ll be getting the 3rd game on PC. The 360 versions were incompetent to say the least i.e. trying to fit all of the games features around a 360 pad, WTF…

These are games that are to be played with a mouse & keyboard. Period.

37. spiderLAW

Disagree entirely. I felt the pad gave me perfect control over everything that was important. ill tell you what, wehn ME3 comes out and has multiplayer i will buy the PC version and play it with a PS3 or 360 joypad and pretty much dominate anybody who stands in my way.

38. Erthazus

“i will buy the PC version and play it with a PS3 or 360 joypad and pretty much dominate anybody who stands in my way.”

Oh yeah. Ok. Duel?

Just so you know, there won’t be any Auto-Aim in the PC version.

39. Crysis

@38, I prefer the gamepad, i don’t have ’12 year old on crack reactions’, my fingers are looong, meaning that using ‘w,a,s,d’ feels unconfortable & a mouse demands a stable surface to use properly. I also find having only three buttons in my right hand inconveniant & like 100 for my left hand.
    But since you’re a pc elitist, i expect you to be condescending about my opinion…
    “Just so you know, there won’t be any Auto-Aim in the PC version.
    And no way you will ever beat people with skill even if you are a pad fanatic, because with precision and speed to shoot a target is a piece of cake.”
    Gaming is a recreational activity, you would be an egomaniac to call your online performance ‘skill’, then again, us humans are competetive by nature, whatever floats your boat i guess.

40. Erthazus

Subjective and you don’t need 12 year old training or whatever really.

I’m sure you know how to use mouse in the Word or Excel. It’s so hard to point?
    And everything is comfortable for the FPS. FPS was created in the PC area. It’s perfect.

41. DSB

I’ll play something else.

Mass Effect the shooter was just silly compared to Mass Effect the RPG. I don’t think I can stomache another ending like that.

@39 Skill is the only proper definition of your ability in any contest. Golf is a recreational activity, does that mean it doesn’t take skill?

I don’t care what controllers people use, but it’s quite obvious that the strength of the PC lies in split second accuracy whereas the strength of the gamepad lies in sensitivity.

42. MushroomStamp

I agree with crysis. I play all my PC games with a pad because it’s more comfortable and easier to use. If playing a twitch game on the PC requires a keyboard, i’ll end up hitting the wrong keys when in a hectic situation. The controller for me is just a much more comfortable option. I don’t sit at a desk and play pc games, I play from comfort of couch, laying on floor, kicked back in recliner, etc.

43. spiderLAW

I agree with Mushroom and Crysis.

Go ahead an say what you want Erth, but even those with so-called skill with their mouse and keyboard will still cry when i murder em with my pad. I use to play Unreal 2003 with a gamepad and still be on top almost every round. Same goes for COD4 when i used to play.