MS has “nothing to announce at this time” regarding Halo 1 remake

Wednesday, 1st December 2010 15:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

halohalohalohalo

Microsoft has responded to yesterday’s report which claimed 343 Industries is working on a remake of Halo: Combat Evolved.

According to a MS spokesperson speaking with Eurogamer: “Right now our focus is on supporting Halo: Reach. We have nothing to announce at this time.”

Yesterday, the magazine Games Master claimed “industry chatter” suggested a remake’s in the works, and the game would launch around Halo’s 10-year anniversary in 2011, before a speculative Halo 4 launches in 2012.

Something Halo related is in the works though, as 343 has been hiring staffers to “help breathe a fresh vision into a new Halo experience”.

1. StolenGlory

“Microsoft has responded yesterday’s report”.

responded ‘to’.

Sorry, it’s the coffee.

*Slowly puts down the mug*

2. Bond James Bond

MS could release 5 Halo games a year and gaming-sheep would still buy them.

3. Gheritt White

CONFIRMED!!

4. AHA-Lambda

definitely confirmed then. 343 were quick to dismiss the halo nemesis rumour on gaf a few days ago but wont for this?

hmm…

5. Razor

So it’s happening?

6. Goliath

Can’t wait for that announcement. I played Halo: CE when it was released on PC and as a PC gamer, I found it quite average. I never got the hype surrounding Halo though I must say, I love Halo Reach. Probably my favorite game this year. Halo 2 on Games on Demand would be great though.

7. DaMan

if they remake CE, would be a good idea to include the Marathon games with it as extras .

8. theevilaires

oh its happening ….(sakes head in disappointment for lack of innovation @ M$)

9. DaMan

by the way, to all the guys criticizing them, this is no different than say, remaking a grossly overhyped FF7.

10. theevilaires

a grossly overhyped FF7 which came out “two” gens ago and people are dying to see a next gen updated version and sound quality of. Rather than a game from last gen that we already know what looks like in this gen graphics (Halo3)….oh wait they said they’re making a “HD” remake….ok sorry Halo 3 wasn’t HD….you may continue 343 studio.

11. DaMan

hey, obviously your ‘people’ are also dying to see this one, or else nobody would bring this up.

not really, since the days of early Xbox 3d graphics have improved dramatically. and FF7, similarly to 2d games, still looks ok because of being stylized to fit the platform limitations (unlike the 3d games of that time).

also, jrpgs haven’t progressed since the days of Super Famicom, certainly not more than fps like Halo.

12. AHA-Lambda

@9 – i would like to see a remake of halo 1 don’t get me wrong imo it was the only truly great halo game.

However, it clearly shows a vivid lack of imagination on 343′s and MS’s part. Nothing’s changed there then =/

13. Mike

Do you people never get fucking bored? Like ever?

14. theevilaires

Ummm I’m playing FF7 on my PSP 3000 right now for the first time ever since the game released alllllllllllllll the way back in 1997….yea I would much rather play a FF13 graphics version of this on my 55″ SONY Bravia, but don’t get me wrong its still fun with all the blocky charatcers.

My point is God of War PSP and MGS peace walker are just as fun but with these games I’m not feeling the need for a graphical overhaul cause last gen visuals aren’t that much outdated. PS1 gen is and Halo coming from the most powerful last gen console…(wait is a wii more powerful..nevermind) XBOX doesn’t scream I need a remake badly as a game like FF7.

Now we can say well FF7 has its spiritual graphical successors such as FF13….but listen and read this carefully…..FF13 IS A DIFFERENT STORY! Halo CE will not be…ITS JUST GONNA BE A RIP OFF OF REACH’S ENGINE WITH A COAT OF REACH PAINT. We already know the story and thats why it screams desperate attempt by M$ to cash in on a Halo every year until the death of the 360. If they do this with Halo CE they have to do it with Halo 2.

This is M$ biggest franchise and its sad and pathetic that they spend all this money for a company like RARE and the only first party cash cow they can rely on is the same damn game that kept them from being slaughtered to death last gen by SONY. I loved Halo CE. Its one of the best FPS ever to grace consoles but sometimes its best to leave a legacy be and not destroy that legacy by rehashing it because you have shit 1st party dev game companies.

Its all about making money at the end of the day and thats what they care about. I get it! But if Kojima did this shit with MGS I don’t know how I would take it. I would love to see MGS on PS3 with same story and all but that was 2 generations ago. Halo CE is last gen and there isn’t that much difference from it and 3. Reach does feel the best out of all of them so I don’t know…..fuck let me shut up. They’re gonna make it and I’m gonna buy it so it doesn’t matter I guess.

M$ M$ M$ for the love of money :D

15. Mike

Obviously not.

16. OrbitMonkey

Totally off topic, but if this trend for remakes continues, my wish list would be for the Doom series using the Rage engine, Deus Ex 1 & 2 (yes I liked invisible war!) & Jade Empire, though a sequal would be better.

17. DaMan

kojima already ‘did this’ on GCN.

PS1 3d games tend to look atrocius because of the god awful texture artifacts and the such, FF7 was one of the cleverly designed games that escaped it. Halo looks like shit compared to Reach.

and if you believe FF13 has a ‘different story’ (and in caps no less..) , while Halo is still the same game then it’s time to grow up.

18. Soong

@14 theevilaires: “Its all about making money at the end of the day and thats what they care about. I get it! But if Kojima did this shit with MGS I don’t know how I would take it.”
    Uhm there already was a MGS remake last gen dude. MGS: Twin Snakes on the gamecube was a remake of MGS on the PS1, one generation before. It had all kinds of crazy matrix-like cutscenes added to it and I preferred the original tbh.

I love Halo CE, but I get a feeling that like MGS: Twin Snakes I will end up preferring the original version.

19. DSB

You’d have to be pretty jaded to hate a remake of a classic game. Halo is arguably the second most important FPS game to hit consoles after Golden Eye.

That being said, remakes are always a doubleedged sword. Halo probably isn’t going to stand up to Reach all that well after all this time, and since that’s what people are playing, they do risk painting themselves into a corner with a game meant for completionists.

@16 Mentally deleted your entire post after you said you liked Invisible War. No one liked Invisible War.

20. AHA-Lambda

Deus ex 2 wasn’t THAT bad =/

21. DSB

Oh, it was. It was a made-for-console sellout meant to follow a modern classic. They screwed up pretty much everything.

22. AHA-Lambda

as a follow up to deus ex yes it was awful
    but as a game by its own merits i still found it enjoyable tbh

23. theevilaires

@ DaMan: you’re not getting my point. This new rumored Halo CE remake will be the same as Halo CE on the original XBOX. Thats a one gen gap mind you.

FF7 is not the same story as FF13 but FF13 is a spiritual successor to FF’s before it graphically. Theres a two gen gap between FF7 and FF13.

@ Soong: Yes Kojima did do this but for Nintendo not SONY. The game was a spiritual remake story and upgraded graphics wise but honestly I don’t count it. It was shit and the original on PS1 was 1 million times better especially the voice overs.

If Kojima had remade MGS3 for PS3 then hell yea I would buy it even though it has a one gen gap from the original. Theres already been 4 fucking Halo games this gen 3,wars,ODST,and Reach. The XBOX 360 just turned 5 a last month. Thats a Halo game almost every year and thats pathetic.

Now that bungie is gone the only way they see 343 studios capturing glory like bungie is to remake Halo CE in HD? Are you serious?! They know the fans are going to buy it and they know they don’t have anything else to fall back on except pay 3rd party devs like treyarch to make their product superior over PS3.

I guess every company has their mascot. Nintendo has Mario, M$ has Master Chief, and SONY has…..no one because they have the greatest 1st party support and don’t need to rely on tactics like this. It just shows no integrity whatsoever.

24. OrbitMonkey

@19 *fingers in ears* la la la can’t hear you, la la la, invisible war was great…

Tbh I’ve never played the original Deus Ex & really feel I’ve missed out, especially as virtually everyone rates it as better than its sequal by an order of magnitude :(

25. Gekidami

I think it would pass better if it wasnt the main studio making the remake. 343 are the new halo guys, everything new thats Halo is meant to pass by them yet their first game is just a remake.
    You can go on about the HD remakes all you want, fact is Santa Monica and Sucker Punch didnt make them and Team ICO isnt working on the ICO Collection either, they’re all working on new stuff. Same goes for Kojima Productions and The Twin Snakes.
    Its hard not to look at this and see a ‘safe bet’, almost a cowardly move by MS.

26. DaMan

theevilaires: I got what you were saying, it looks like shit compared to 360 Halos. a lot has happened during this ‘one gen’, the graphics are uncomparable. FFs ‘stories’ are tired and the same crap, extended a hundredth time. there’s way more fun to have with the ones in Halo.

Gekidami – what are you talking about, Twin Snakes was a remake.

27. AHA-Lambda

@24 – PLAY IT NOW!!!!

28. Gekidami

Where did i say the Twin Snakes wasnt a remake? My point is that Kojima Productions didnt make it. They were working on new stuff whilst they handed off the work to another studio.

29. Erthazus

DaMan, i really don’t want to sound like a cock… (Didn’t read full thread)

But Halo 1 really looks like Halo 2 or Halo 3. Halo 3 just had better textures, but they are the same, even resolution is last gen.

Reach had a next gen feel and looked decent for the current gen.

Final Fantasy 7 is so old that had shitty 3d models and amazing 2d backgrounds. That game seriously need to be remade. Don’t forget that 3D models at that time looked worse than anything. It was a start of 3D era.

30. Gekidami

^ That isnt true at all. Theres a world of difference between CE and H2.

31. Erthazus

@30 These are two games that i played at my PC with texture enchantments and etc.
    Changes in graphics were… Almost how can i say… Just textures. Maybe models a little bit.
    Everything else was the same thing with different pallete. I’m serious.

32. DaMan

Gekidami – well, they decided for it to be remade. and they guided the development. if you look at this the other way, then one might say the point of CE remake is the smooth franchise rebooting.

Erthazus – sorry, i don’t know how to comment on that without flaming. if you believe that, then let us say we agree to disagree. thanks.

33. theevilaires

Thats right Twin Snakes was made by Silicon (shit makers of Too Human) Knights. It was a remake but by another company other than the original devs and not released on the next gen console (PS2) of its successor. Twin Snakes is an abomination and disgrace to everything MGS stands for. Halo CE on the other had is being made by M$ again just a different team….whoop di do!

Yay M$ show us why you deserve to stand among the Elites like Atari,Nintendo,Sega, and SONY. Make better diverse games please. I swear if EA came out with their own system and became the new SEGA M$ would be gone like the wind.

34. DaMan

Kojima Productions guided the dev team of TS, similarly CE has been given to a new dev as well, more so to serve as an introduction to franchise reboot.

35. spiderLAW

Normally i agree with you but dont talk shit about Twin Snakes buddy, please haha. I loved every minute of Twin Snakes, just as much as i loved every minute of of the original MGS on PSX

36. DSB

@24 Haha, that was my first thought. “That guy can’t have played Deus Ex” :P

10 Euro on Steam, chop chop!

37. trivi4l

First of all Halo 1 looks like shit now. Considering it was pretty much a launch title gives it enough grounds for a remake.

Second of all Halo 1 and Halo 2 have a tremendous difference in graphics. Look at the Red vs Blue episodes where they go from Halo 1 to Halo 2 and you see a huge improvement.

38. Gadzooks!

False outrage at Halo remake is false.

The immature ‘wah wah wah, I dont like it so it must be killed’ reaction to Halo getting airtime is predictable and so very very boring.

Fans want it, developers listen, it will get released, it will sell like hotcakes and all the uptight, self-righteous bluster will be wasted energy which could be put into doing something constructive.