The Witcher 2 for consoles is still “doable”, says CD Projekt

Thursday, 25th November 2010 11:26 GMT By Johnny Cullen

thewitcher2

The Witcher 2 for consoles is still “doable”, according to CD Projekt, and if it were to happen, it would be out “a matter of months” after the PC version.

That’s according to comments made by the Polish developer to Eurogamer at last week’s Witcher 2 press conference.

“We’ve openly said our technology supports multiplatform,” said CDP CEO, Marcin Iwiński.

“On the release of the PC version, we’ll see. We know how many players, especially in the UK as well as in the US, play on Xbox 360. We are pretty good at maths. That’s all I can say for now.”

Witcher II senior producer Tomasz Gop further added in an interview with the site: “This is too difficult a question because I can’t tell you directly what’s happening inside the studio, but I want to tell you we’re doing everything we can to make sure one day The Witcher 2 will be released on the current generation of consoles.

“We already have performed a lot of tests. We’re doing a reality check every half a year or so. We take a level from the game and we try to put it inside our engine, because it’s console capable on Xbox 360 and PS3.

“It’s doable.”

The Witcher 2 was dated last week for a May 17 worldwide release for PC. It’s premium edition was also detailed.

Watch a demo of the RPG from the press conference here.

1. CaptPierce

Cue in the raging Aryan-race thinking PC Nancy’s. Not to start a flame war (which seems to be the basis for EVERYONE on this site) but I only say this because I KNOW it’s going to happen on this story as they always seem to do.

2. DJ Deathstar

Yeah as soon as there’s a story about a PC game possibly coming to consoles its enivatable for that to start happening! I think it’d be awesome if this did come to consoles, there was always that talk of the first one possibly coming and i really wanted that to happen as i don’t have a PC capable of playing these games! Fingers crossed it does come to consoles, and i don’t care if it doeesn’t look quite as good, its the game i want to play, not look at the graphics!

3. freedoms_stain

@1, could you be any more of a dick?

4. Moonwalker1982

It would be absolutely awesome if that happpens. I simply don’t have a strong enough laptop for this game and i really ain’t into PC gaming anyway. I bet it’s doable on the consoles, it’ll just look nowhere near as good as the PC version. But that’s no biggie.

5. Blerk

I’d very much like to play this, and a console port’s pretty much the only way I’ll ever be able to do that. So…. please? :-)

6. Erthazus

@1 Hey, can you show me the first game on consoles? I want to play it.

PS: i think it will happen in the future, but without a first part it’s a mistake.

7. Thalius

Didnt they say the same thing about The Witcher1?

8. Blerk

It hasn’t stopped Bioware, Erthazus!

9. Erthazus

@Blerk, and thats why i said “Mistake”. From a publisher standpoint it’s cool to release a second game without the first one, but from the gamers standpoint it’s not a good thing.

PS3 version of Mass Effect 2 have a shitty little graphic novel of what happened in the first game.
    But if you remember… In the second game saves were important part for bonuses.

If Witcher 2 will be on consoles for example. With graphical novel it’s imposible to tell the story about Witcher 1. It’s a BIG adventure with tons of interesting dialogs and situations.

10. back_up

Most of PC gamers are pirates so it will come to PS3.
    When the witcher developers said ” strict action against illegal download ” in other words they know PC gamers are going to pirate it

11. freedoms_stain

@9, all a player would have to know is the very core storyline, which they can probably get on wikipedia if they want.

Yes it’s a bit of a pisser not to be able to play the 1st game, but I have plenty of friends who played HL2 on 360 having never played the original and they still freakin loved it.

Stop trying to put roadblocks down where there don’t have to be any.

12. Shubb9

I say fair play to CDPR for canning the console port being developed by that french developer for being substandard. You could have had a shitty port but as the the W2 is being developed with their own new engine, not Bioware’s Aurora engine, I’d say the chances of W1 coming to consoles are remote at best

13. Erthazus

@11 HL 2 is a shooter. There is a good story, but it takes back seat compared to gameplay, physics and visuals.

RPG’s story is the most important part. Just Wiki won’t do shit, You need to experience a game.

Try playing Metal Gear Solid 2 without the first game. You won’t understand characters at all.

14. CaptPierce

Some people call it being a dick. Others called it modesty.

Why is that important?

15. freedoms_stain

@14 “raging Aryan-race thinking PC Nancy’s”, no, that’s being a dick.

16. CaptPierce

Many of them seem to display that kind of thinking. I’ve PC gamed before and enjoyed it somewhat, but it’s just video games. No one thing must be better than the other just because someone else says so.

17. freedoms_stain

@16, so why do you have to be a dick about it?

18. OrbitMonkey

I’d love to see this come to the ps3, especially if its a faithful adaptation of the books, which are not the usual stereotypical Lord of the Rings lite shit. As for missing out the 1st… I’ll live.