Survey says UK and Europe aren’t too keen on 3D TVs

Thursday, 18th November 2010 21:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

3dtv

According to a survey conducted by by price comparison site Twenga, only one percent of UK consumers polled plan to purchase a 3D television set during the holiday shopping season.

Out of UK respondents, 48 percent said they would like a 3D TV, and five percent hope to get one but are unsure about it.

With six countries polled and 3,000 people participating in the survey, 32 percent felt the TVs were too expensive, 12 percent said the tech isn’t “up to snuff”, 12 percent are interested in a different type of television, and 35 percent don’t even want one at all.

A further three percent said they didn’t know if they wanted a 3D TV or not, and one percent didn’t even know what one was.

Broken up by regions, France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands were generally not interested because of the cost and lack of appeal, while  Germany, UK and the Dutch had the highest percentage of  “no thanks” more or less due to price instead of interest.

Thanks, Reg Hardware.

1. Razor

But Sony told me in five years 3D will be more commonplace.

So…there.

2. Tallon 4

Show me the money :)
    Tempted, but empty wallet

3. Psychotext

That’s a bloody clever picture. :)

4. DarkElfa

Whatever, the UK and Europe don’t seem to be keen on a whole lot of things other than intercontinental dislike.

5. cookiejar

^ And complaining about stuff :D

6. OrbitMonkey

Oh come on! There’s a fucking recession on! Thousand’s of people losing jobs, thousands unsure if theirs is safe & some dick from Twenga is asking if “your interested in a £1000+ tv?” Yeah I’ll buy 2 you cunt, let me just sell a kidney…

7. onlineatron

If I were to buy a television now I’d seriously consider buying a 3D one.

Saw a deal in Bennetts, £900 for a 3DTV + Blu-Ray player.

Granted that’s still VERY expensive, it’s also a lot cheaper than they were a few months ago.

8. freedoms_stain

tbh, going by 3D cinema I’m entirely underwhelmed by the whole 3D craze – to the point where if I’ve got the option between 2D and 3D, I’d be tempted to save myself a few quid and just go for the 2D.

I’d look a good go on a decent livingroom sized 3DTV though to make my mind up. Unfortunately I don’t see Currys letting me sit and watch films and play games for 3 hours while I make my mind up :p

9. Silentium

lol @ “UK and Europe” – what is so wrong with just calling the region “Europe”?

10. Psychotext

We hate those filthy Europers, that’s why.

/waves British flag

11. ecu

UK is not Europe.

12. freedoms_stain

@9, I suppose most Brits just don’t consider themselves European.

I thought we were getting better with the whole European integration thing, then we (sort of) elected a Tory government and it turned out I was very much mistaken :p

13. No_PUDding

Yeah fuck all of Europe, it’s shit. Where is that again?

14. LOLshock94

do games actually look good in 3d?

15. Psychotext

Some do.

Also, fuck Europe.

16. The_Deleted

@6: Spot on Orbit Monkey. I’ve not long upgraded to HD… now they expect us to buy into 3D. Get ta fuck!

17. Callum

I agree: Fuck Europe.

Whats the article about?

18. Freek

You can hate it all you want, you still can’t change your geographical location, my fellow EUROPEANS! :p

19. DrDamn

“48 percent said they would like a 3D TV” but apparently that = aren’t too keen? I’d say the TV manufacturers would be quite happy with that sort of statistic.

20. Syrok

A sample of 3000 Twenga users is not representative.