Sony goes head-to-head with Microsoft over non-gaming offerings

Wednesday, 17th November 2010 19:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

head2head

With today’s announcement of Sony adding Walmart’s VUDU movie service to PS3, M2 Reseach analyst Billy Pidgeon believes this is Sony’s way of going into full-on battle mode with Xbox 360 in order to win-over non-gaming customers.

With Sony’s own movie store, Netflix and Hulu Plus already available, Sony is “making the integration of this non-gaming functionality a priority”, according to Gamasutra, and M2′s analyst agrees.

“I think it’s a mandate with Sony not to just catch up with, but to surpass Microsoft, especially in the non-gaming functionality,” said Pidgeon. “What’s at stake here is the future of Xbox Live and the PlayStation Network. We’re going to be seeing more houses where there are two or more consoles – and the battle will come down to where do (non-gaming) family members spend their time?

“I think it’s kind of smart of them to [add VUDU]. “It’s better to give people more options. It does compete against their own service, but it helps Walmart and Walmart will help Sony. It’s coop-etition. This is the point in the lifecycle where people should be experimenting with things – and if Sony is able and willing to do that, then I see that as a positive.”

Pidgeon believes Sony has “a lot more ground to cover” in order to catch-up with Microsoft and pushing the console at non-gamers may just help it gain more ground.

VUDU will release on American PS3s on November 23 with more than 4K HD movies, including new releases the same day as released on DVD or Blu-ray. The service will run $2 for a two night rental, and new customers receive a $5.99 credit.

Hulu Plus costs $7.99 a month, and offers shows from ABC, FOX, NBC, and others.

[pic]

1. _LarZen_

Good for the US! But so many in Europe dont have anything like this on the PS3. Some have a service called Mubi, a good service but they have a special lineup of movies.

Sony realy should give Europe some hard focus on Movie rental, have had a good service on the X360 a good while now. So step up Sony.

2. Razor

“Pidgeon believes Sony has “a lot more ground to cover””

Really? I think Sony are in front at this point, when you look at the various multimedia partnerships Sony has globally.

3. dylanspronck

If Sony really wants to make this an entertainment machine, first get started by making Movie and TV-Shows rentals available in many more countries.

4. lexph3re

People and this veruka attitude(willy wonka reference) and how they want it now, be patient dangit. Everything is coming your way very soon. Act like a bunch of spoiled brats

5. _LarZen_

@lexph3re Its almost 3 years since the US got the Sony video store…if you ask me most people have been damn patient! So stop acting like a damn know it all…brat.

/nerdrage over

6. frostquake

I am a Heavy Netflix user, and the Netflix interface on Sony is all Kinds of Messed up. It is clunky, it aborts constantly mid-stream, locks up. The Netflix interface on Xbox is streamlined and works perfect 99% of the time.

This surprised me, I really expected the PS3 Netflix to blow MS version out of the water! Also the hiccups, lock ups, and down right boot outs on PS3 shocked me as well.

I have put my PS3 and 360 side by side, and played the same movie at the same time, and the PS3 version seems to always have some kind of problem.

7. lexph3re

Hmm I know I posted a response to larzens know it all comment yet it isn’t posted. This is the 3rd time a comment of mines wouldn’t post.

And are you playing them both on a lan line? Or are they both on wi-fi?