PSP2 dev kit snaps show twin sticks, trackpad [Update]

Wednesday, 17th November 2010 17:44 GMT By Patrick Garratt

psp2kit

“Boom.”

VG247 has obtained the world’s first images of a PSP2 dev kit.

The shots clearly show the device’s forward- and rear-facing cameras, as well as the much-discussed trackpad on the rear of the unit.

Note that this isn’t the console’s final form factor. As you can see, some developers are working with a kit with similar construction to a PSP go at the moment – see the update below – with a sliding screen over physical controls. We don’t know when the final physical spec will be nailed down, only that this isn’t it.

We were first told PSP2 kits were in developers’ hands early this year.

It has an HD screen. The last set of rumours surrounding the handheld said the chipset has yet to be finalised.

The machine is rumoured to be extremely powerful, with approximately twice as much RAM as a 360.

EA has confirmed it’s had “exposure” to the unit, and developer Netherrealm has openly admitted it’s working with a kit.

PSP2 is supposedly heading for release in late 2011.

If you’re in any doubt as to the authenticity of these images, don’t be. It is what it is. Enjoy.

Update: We’ve been told by a source that these images are from the last kit. There’s a newer one, which is a single, non-sliding block. Remember those last Kotaku rumours of the unit overheating? Sony switched back a form like PSP-1000 in order to cool it down.

1. RETARDED VIKING

*CLAP* *CLAP* good job VG247 :D

2. Patrick Garratt

*actual adrenaline*

3. CptKurk

That looks more like the Loch Ness Monster to me. I’ve been telling you: she’s real. Arr.

4. RETARDED VIKING

I hope they scrap the sliding screen.

5. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Very cool indeed, however I don’t think I’d say “the shots clearly show” anything…lol

6. Debabrata Nath

Ah, that’s a fucking big break kind sir. /bows

7. freedoms_stain

did an emp bomb go off right as these pics were taken?

8. daytripper

looks like a rounder psp go

9. Seraphemz

I like the design of the go. I wouldn’t mind a bigger screen though.

10. WetSnake

Holy shit.
    Hahahah poor Sony, they never have surprises left for their shows :P

11. Gama_888

i love the, “NOT FOR SALE” sticker on the back of it
    how did u get these pics garret?
    and why are they so unclear?

12. Psychotext

I swear there’s actual classes which teach people how to do spy shots. Just the right amount of blur, poor focus, poor framing. :D

13. Stephany Nunneley

Looks like a sneaky camera phone shot to me is all. I once had a hidden camera purse I sported around with me. Took horrible pictures.

14. cookiejar

Two Thumbsticks. Thank christ.

15. daytripper

took dirty pictures you mean ;-)

16. Patrick Garratt

See the update.

17. cookiejar

So I wonder where this leaves the PS Phone now. Does that come before PSP 2? Will the PSP 2 will a proper full on beasty handheld, and the Phone a watered down App based one?

18. Erthazus

I like how it says: NOT FOR SALE

19. DrDamn

I think there are special classes on how to leak PSP2 info as well.

20. Herlock

Nice job guys \o/

21. Lucky

but have a better photo isn’t possible ?

22. chronoss2

looks good, but the 3DS has a HUGE advantage despite the lack of power (3D)..

23. M2Kx

I’m loosing my interest…

24. Freek

Who makes photos that crappy?? Every damn camera phone is high res these days.
    It’s like a UFO picture, nobody ever has a decent camera or even remotly knows how to use it.

25. Erthazus

@chroniss2, “looks good, but the 3DS has a HUGE advantage despite the lack of power (3D)..”

With not an HD screen with 3d implementation that require you to play in certain position. If you are sitting not right, than no 3D for you.

26. dirigiblebill

Two analog sticks!

*applause*

27. chronoss2

@Erthazus : yes i agree but for people who don’t know it is a big argument to prefer the 3DS. 3D is the new fashion now..

28. Moonwalker1982

I can only give a big ‘who cares’ to this, PSP was a fail IMO. So exactly why would it work now? Why would there be reason to go crazy and all that now? We’ll see about this.

29. DJ Deathstar

Seriously as long as this has 2 analog nubs like it obviously will do then i will get this over a 3DS i think

30. lexph3re

@ moonwalker and I think 69mil people who one a psp don’t care about your opinion and want this psp2

31. Erthazus

@Moonwalker1982,

“I can only give a big ‘who cares’ to this, PSP was a fail IMO.”

How a 62 million seller is a failure???
    That just shows that you never had a PSP. It’s a great device even for this day.

@chronoss2, yeah, you are right. Can’t argue with that. Good catch.

32. 2plus2equals5

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Now we want games’ screenshots! XD

33. ARFarokhi

@Moonwalker1982
    For god’s sake please stop bashing PSP. PSP is a great device and sales figures show that very clearly. And btw, 69 million is not failure. Even now that PSP’s rival sales is standing at 100 million! (or some more or less! I don’t know the exact number.)

34. daytripper

please stop bashing the psp? oh fuck off will you, if thats his genuine opinion,like you, hes entitled to it.

35. RETARDED VIKING

@32 Agreed.

CHOP, CHOP, VG247 :D

36. 2plus2equals5

@moonwalker: don’t make the same mistake of nintendo fanboys. ;)
    Ds started with more than 80 millions of gba users. What do you think they bought? psp or ds?

Psp earned 62 millions “new” users, ds earned “only” 54 millions new users (135M total ds users – 81M gba users) ;)
    Data from wikipedia.

37. lexph3re

Its a clouded opinion*shrugs* but then again people are going to believe,think,and feel how they want to. Damned if I care

38. Moonwalker1982

@ 31

Oh but i DID have a PSP. I had games like Daxter and Syphon Filter, but at the end of the day there just weren’t enough good titles. Eventually i sold my PSP.

That’s why i said..IMO, for me it’s a ‘fail’ . For the next one, they better bring some damn good games.

39. RETARDED VIKING

Thanks for the update.

40. chronoss2

@Moonwalker1982 : 1982 must be your birth year i guess, well i’m sorry to tell you that you have the mental of a 5 year old.. PSP is a great machine, very powerful, great screen and tons of good games : Daxter, MGSs, wipeout, FFs, GT, KH… stop playing CoD too much, i heard it lowers the IQ hhhhhhh

It’s not Sony who has to bring good games, it’s your vision of the good games that has to change ;) think about this hhh

41. DaMan

@36 what would you call the PS3 then?…

different gadgets for different audiences. those previous GBA players probably did buy the DS, but if you check that Wikipedia, GBA is at 80 million as of 2010 (DS launched in 2004). plus the additional 54 did. whilst psp user base are mainly home console players.

42. OrbitMonkey

Oooh a stat fight! Let me get a calculator :o

43. No_PUDding

If VG247 had leaked the TRICO video, you’d now be the most impressive news site ever. Not that it’d've made me happy.

44. ReeceHeywood

If true it shall be my first PSP purchase, only reason I never got one was due to the lack of sticks.

45. Mr Tom

It’s clearly a street-light. Or maybe a weather balloon.

46. Gekidami

Why have Sony written “VG247″ across it?

:P

47. Crysis

Great job Patrick! you have the whole internet buzzing about this, congratulations :D
    @46, it’s normal for sites to watermark original pictures, or even ‘borrowed’ pictures.

48. MegaGeek1

Wow, god job boyzies. Now, if you could just squeeze the word “fuck” into this article it would be that much cooler. Maybe because its a “world first” you want to keep everything kosher?

49. freedoms_stain

@48, Fuck you.

That do?

50. mathare92

@49 Let him be. Sounds like some envious news writer from another site.

51. cookiejar

@50 I think its Rick Sanchez.

Hes taken things pretty badly since being pushed from CNN :D

52. sg1974

Twin sticks? Touchscreen? Add an internet browser that works and I’m sold.

53. Stephany Nunneley

@51 – :D Poor Rick. He likes football ya know.

54. mathare92

@51 Methinks it’s IGN’s news writer Jim Reilly. After all he did tweet this a little while ago https://twitter.com/jimreilly/status/4964269296713728

*Sigh*

55. Stephany Nunneley

@54 Meh. Just let it go. Who care who it is, but some people sure are acting nasty about the whole thing. It’s unbecoming.

On the f*** note, maybe I should use that word more often :D

56. LOLshock94

looks like the wii classic control ohhh wait sony cant be original can they

57. LOLshock94

found me old youtube account

like this vid for me and i will do anything

58. Erthazus

@mathare92, IGN? they can get the F out of here.

and why Patrick changed “Oh fuck son, here we go.” with “Boom” !? :(

59. manamana

Whats wrong with you, Lollipop94? It’s a must have, if Sony got games on it, innit?

60. Kuwabara

And the sheep microsoft will follow next.

61. freedoms_stain

@56, truly I am struggling to see the resemblance. The analogue nubs aren’t even close, and the rest of the buttons are pretty much standard on all controllers currently on the market.

Stop spewing shite pretty please?

62. sg1974

63. Badger

Looks pretty freakin’ tasty. I wanna lick.

…so to speak

64. NightCrawler1970

What happens with the PSP GO then? hit the garbage?

I mean PSP Go is nothing wrong, with it, it has no UMD, allot of PSP gamers bought the “Go” for big money and all they do is whine about THERE IS NO UMD WHAAAAAAHHH!!! and 2 weeks later they traded the “GO” for PSP3000…

Do more resource before ya buy folks….

All i wanna know whats the specs? of the new PSP2?

65. NightCrawler1970

My PSP 2002 is getting wackie, so i start saving money for the PSP2, in that time my PSP white edition will shit the bed…

66. NightCrawler1970

@62, And what will it cost honky?

67. NightCrawler1970

What about this one? http://www.cellfanatic.com/2008/07/05/sony-psp-phone-specs-and-pics-leaked/

68. MegaGeek1

Wow, you guys are so harsh! I was serious about the first post. I love this website for that very reason.

69. Psychotext

Pat should change the watermark to VGFUCKING247. That’ll teach the whiny bitches.

70. metamorphic

Lollipop94 is a well-known troll and freak, so don’t pay attention to him. He is possibly the worst example of a fanboy or child (look at his age) ever to have shamed this bountiful Earth of ours.

71. Crysis

A Ripoff is a cheap imitation, but when someone improves upon an idea, how can you possibly call that a ripoff? fact is you have to improve to evolve, you can’t just invent something & leave it as it is otherwise you’ll never get far, what i don’t get is why Nintendo fans keep crapping on MS & especially Sony about not being original, when Nintendo hasn’t created a mature franchise in decades! The new franchises from them are casual or sports games… Not being an anti-nintendo fanboy, i quite enjoy a few of their franchises, Just saying those who falsely accuse others of ripoff are hypocrites (*cough* LOLshock *cough*).

72. Patrick Garratt

@69 – :D

73. Moonwalker1982

@ 40

Hey i guess moron must be your middle name then. All the nonsense you went on about…it’s something called OPINION, but obviously you’ve never heard about that, right? I never said it wasn’t a great machine. One more time only for you kid…i said IMO. For me it just didn’t do it. YOU might like FF ,Wipeout and GT, i don’t. The first MGS wasn’t too special, Daxter i already mentioned. KH came long after the release of PSP, by that time i had sold it. Not enough reason to buy it again. I know plenty of people who say the same thing, PSP didn’t do it for them. So again kid, i said IMO….that means i am not talking for the general public.

So next time come with something good instead of cheap insults and acting like a kid. COD? Oh my…how wrong you are. I play COD now and then, but my favorite games are totally different than that. If you don’t have anything normal to say, don’t reply at all. Cause the only person here who could be called ’5 year old ‘ is not me, but definitely you. Think about that.

74. ARFarokhi

@73 Moonwalker1982
    PSP’s (or any other hardware) success or failure cannot be decided by your opinion or mine! PSP has sold 62 million units and in any sane person’s opinion, is not a failure if it’s not success. Usually people call something like XBOX original or Gamecube a failure.
    It’s like saying: IMO Wii is a big failure, because it could not draw any hardcore gamers!!! ROFL!
    @34 daytripper
    Honestly, I don’t think calling the PSP a “failure” is an opinion!

75. pspgamer01

phisical hardware???

76. 2plus2equals5

77. Stephany Nunneley

PSP2 shots confirmed: http://psp.ign.com/articles/113/1138879p1.html —- like they needed it. Just pointing it out.

78. dingdong2

HAH vg247 is full of shit. never reading this site again. i’m going to start a blog about how fake vg247 is