Poll: 65% of Americans want violent games sales to minors illegal

Monday, 15th November 2010 10:17 GMT By Patrick Garratt

banned

According to a new Rasmussen survey, 54 percent of those polled believed that violent games lead to more violence in society.

Of 1,000 adults polled between November 8-9, 65 percent replied yes when asked, “Should states be allowed to prohibit the sale or rental of violent video games to minors?” The “no” contingent amounted to 25 percent.

When posed the question about who is more responsible for limiting access to violent games, parents, game publishers or the government, only five percent chose the government, with the majority (71 percent) selecting parents.

Thanks, GamePolitics.

1. Freek

And a similar amount believe in UFOs, doesn’t make it true though.

2. Joe Anderson

I wonder what percentage want guns banned, I’d say they are slightly more dangerous.

3. Erthazus

I actually don’t care.

they can ban what they want, because i don’t care about mature content or Not. I care about good games.
    As long as there are shitty Violent game i care less.

4. Freek

So if a game has any violent content what so ever, no matter the story, context or the gameplay, it is automaticly a bad game?
    Strange logic there.

5. JPickford

Banning is obviously stupid (and won’t happen) but it would be fascinating to see what the industry would produced if violent content was ruled out.

6. Blerk

If you banned “violent” games then there’d be practically nothing left.

In Call of Duty you shoot people – violent. Banned.
    In Burnout you ram people off the road – violent. Banned.
    Mario jumps on heads – violent. Banned.
    Kirby eats people and spits – violent AND disgusting. Banned.

So basically we’d have Tetris and Bejewelled. :-)

7. Fin

Where does it say they want to ban violent games outright? From my reading, there’s consensus for a ban on the selling of violent (M-rated I’d assume) games to minors. I wasn’t able to buy 18-rated games when I was under 18, don’t see why this is such a big issue.

8. Patrick Garratt

I’ve edited the headline. Sorry, I was up half the night with screaming children. I’m half asleep.

9. vodka-bull

Oh my dear america, wasn’t the word Taliban enough for your satisfaction?

10. Freek

@8, the site was called Eurogamer for a while aswell, that was a little strange ;)

11. Patrick Garratt

@10 – *facepalm*

12. orakaa

It’s not a question of banning games, but limiting VIOLENT games access to minor.

There are movies like Hostel, Saw or whatever who aren’t sold to children, for a good reason, and the same goes for pron… I don’t see why it should be any different for violent games.

I am an adult and can enjoy some TV shows like Dexter for instance… but it’s a choice I make because I can easily separate fiction from reality…
    I don’t think my 10 and 3 years old daughters actually WANT to be facing such TV shows, or movies like Aliens or whatever : it would just give them nightmares

13. JPickford

I think it’s actually legal in the US to take children to see an R rated movie (I don’t think they are allowed in without an adult). Not sure about DVD sales.

14. NightCrawler1970

kiddie wants it and dadio buys it, totaly useless that banning thang.

btw Pac Man is violent too, so what the big deal?