EA’s Soderlund: Medal of Honor “didn’t meet our quality expectations”

Tuesday, 2nd November 2010 18:14 GMT By Johnny Cullen

medalofhonor6

EA Games VP Patrick Soderlund has told EG the recently-released Medal of Honor did not live up to the publisher’s “quality expectations”.

Soderlund, who looks after racers and shooters in Europe for EA, said it was judged a lot “harsher” then it should have been.

“I’m not going to comment on the sales because EA has an earnings report going out next week [Soderlund refers to EA's Q2 financials: this will actually be released tonight - JC] and we will unveil sales in that meeting.

“What I can say is the game didn’t meet our quality expectations. In order to be successful in that space, we’re going to have to have a game that is really, really strong.”

“Medal of Honor is to some extent judged harsher than it should be. The game is better than today’s reviews are indicating,” he added.

Despite that, however, he maintains he’s proud of the shooter, made by Danger Close and Battlefield devs DICE – the latter of which Soderlund is CEO of.

“I’m not going to say a specific number. I’m proud of what the game is and proud of what the team did. I just think the market is obviously telling us they think the game is X. We need to convince the market we can make something they appreciate more, particularly to be able to compete.

“We’re looking at that clearly. We’re taking that seriously. I’m not at all saying Medal of Honor is a failure. It is a successful reboot of that franchise. We’re going to be strong in the future.”

When asked if Danger Close or anyone else was currently working on anything else in the MoH brand, Soderlund refused to comment, but did confirm the former was working on “something”.

Medal of Honor released in mid-October on PS3, 360 and PC to mixed acclaim, although held the number one spot in the UK charts.

Two pieces of DLC for the shooter will hit tomorrow.

1. Tallon 4

quailty : quality

Played the game and it’s not bad at all. AI in SP is a bit dumb, but the second half of the game,the game is quite good actually. The MP may be considered very simplistic, but I like it. I don’t often play MP because I haven’t got the time so this MP is great for me personally. That said..spawn points do suck

2. DBZ0wnz

Im currently at level 5 and theirs obviously a glitch that won’t allow me to continue through the mission, if any of you guys know that bunker where you’ve gotta let your men throw the red gas thing, that aint happening…
    I Really wish they could patch the multiplayer, i really do hope they fix it soon.

3. ReeceHeywood

I was so disappointed when I completed it the other night, where was the story lol?

I though the multiplayer would been better since it was done by DICE but it’s just fucking terrible, sure I can get kills and such in it but the spawn system and other elements are fucking flawed.

To say this was to compete with the likes of Call of Duty it was a terrible attempt. Seems like they just rushed it to get it out before Black Ops arrived.

4. AlmightyDogbert

I’m actually really enjoying medal of honour, even though I can see the reasoning behind all the criticisms. It should have come with more game modes (like the ones coming as dlc right now), more unlockables and more customisation.

5. G1GAHURTZ

Rubbish game.

6. Gekidami

Expect all EA FPS’ (and probably other types of games) to come with a weak selection of modes in the future. EA want to run with their VIP service so they’ve taken to stripping games down then adding the stuff later, free for the VIP’s so that it looks like the code is actually worth it.

7. Tallon 4

@2: You have to replay the whole level I’m afraid.

@ 5: Rubbish arguments

8. DBZ0wnz

@6 VIP’s is a lie, until it’s confirmed don’t mention or talk about shit.

9. Gekidami

^Until whats confirmed? I have MoH and BFBC2. I can confirm that they both have VIP pass codes. ME2 uses it to actually.

Note: I’m calling all of these code things “VIP codes”, it dosnt matter what snazzy name EA sticks on to them (like “Cerberus Network” you can bet Dead Space 2 will have its own suitably named VIP system to), its all the same.

10. DBZ0wnz

VIP? Is that for PC titles only? sorry…

11. ShiroGamer

no shit sherlock

12. frostquake

Since I only Single Play and don’t MP, after hearing how incredibly short it was, and that SP was nothing more then Rinse, Wash, Repeat with No story..I will wait till Super Cheap.

As a Single Player I will vote with my dollars..if you release a 3-4 hour SP Game, there is NO WAY, I am going to pay $65.00 US for it..that would be Crazy!!