Rumor: 35 people laid-off at IO Interactive

Friday, 29th October 2010 21:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

hitman

3D Realms bossman George Broussard has tweeted that 35 employees of Kane & Lynch devs IO Interactive have been laid-off.

According to his tweet, not only were some redundancies made at the studio, but a project has been canceled as well.

Hopefully, the canceled project isn’t the much rumored and highly-anticipated Hitman 5, which is supposedly hitting next Christmas “at the earliest” – despite zero confirmation from Square Enix.

We’ll send a mail, but know that Broussard has been right about lay-offs at studios before.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. JimFear666

i hope the canceled project was kane and lynch 3

2. BULArmy

For me PERSONALLY! IO have done only one excelent game and that is Hitman 2:Silent Assasin. Blood Money is also good but in my eyes №2 is what is now AAA game. Every other game they produce is from mediocre to shit.

3. YoungZer0

It’s always sad to hear something like this. I wish them the best, if this is true.

4. FadeLive

Add Freedom Fighters to that list and I agree.

I really hope they bury Kane & Lynch forever though, f that franchise. I want a new Hitman game or Freedom Fighters game which either hopefully will end up better than K&L2.

5. Moonwalker1982

Silent Assassin IMO was one of the lesser Hitman games, just like Contracts. Codename 47 was awesome and Blood Money was right up there :)

6. LordCancer

@2 I loved the kitchen knife.

7. Dralen

@4 OMG! I wish they would make a Freedom Fighters sequel, that game was phenomenal.

8. Kasper F. Nielsen

Not a rumor, confirmed by danish source in contact with IO directly: http://www.computerworld.dk/art/111878?a=rss&i=0

The canceled project is something unannounced that IO had brewing with Microsoft, but which Microsoft backed out of.

9. back_up

Awesome news.
    Now stop Kane & Lynch shit and start developing new hitman and freedom fighter

10. AHA-Lambda

sad to hear i respect IO immensely cos of the hitman games after all =(

good luck to those affected