Kojima’s next project exists in a “beautiful world”

Monday, 18th October 2010 12:22 GMT By Johnny Cullen

kojima

Hideo Kojima’s started the cock-teasing for his next project on Twitter, in which he says he wants to create a “beautiful world.”

He started off by saying that western developers relied on technology in games too much.

“The Japanese make the models and textures carefully to create a world. The West use shaders, lighting, shadows, effects, and programming to create their world.”

The Metal Gear Solid creator added he wanted the team working on his next game to make a “beautiful world.”

“For my next project, I’m going to mention to the staff to throw out the old ways of production. Do not create pretty images, create a beautiful world. Designers shouldn’t focus only on their part, but also borrow the programmer’s strength to maximize the quality.

“We shouldn’t measure quality by parts, we will measure by the quality and completion of the entire world.”

Finally, he went on to add the dev team had its first meeting for the next “A Hideo Kojima Game.”

“Had our first meeting for the next ‘A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME’ with the core team members today. Some members are also participating on [Metal Gear Solid] “RISING” so 10 people total this time. We will have a meeting every morning to discuss planning, testing, research, and scouting. An open environment to talk about important issues and share our dreams and concept for the project.”

That next game is either Metal Gear Solid 5 or Zone of the Enders 3. Either way, Kojima intends to show his new game at Tokyo Game Show next year.

Thanks, Siliconera.

1. nico belic

well it must be something ! IDK ! i just hate this guy ! i mean look @ him

2. Erthazus

@1 and whats wrong with him?

PS:

““The differences between the creators in Japan and the West in this industry… Japanese creators try to express the game’s environment through beautiful artwork, but western developers use technology to draw out the environment,” he said.”

i luv you Kojima, but BULLSHIT!

3. Dark

I like this guy he know what he is talking about,unlike Inafune.

4. manamana

So the models and textures from BatmanAA, Gears or Uncharted2 where not carefully created? The world of the Half-Life-Saga really is a piece of crap and relates completely on effects? Whilst the Final-Fantasy Epos is beautiful artwork?

I honestly try to get what he means.

5. DaMan

@manamana

what he’s saying is how their games tend to look better then their engines actually are, due to japanese using smart tricks and clever visual arts (models and textures), SotC on PS2 is a great example of that, he’s just er, putting it nicely ;) although, Japan does have better modellers in general.

6. klewd

There’s just as many western games using the method he describes. God of War 3 is one example and is still better looking than any current Japanese release. (Note to fanboys: I’m not saying the game is great, I’m saying the visuals are unmatched by the Japanese game industry).

7. klewd

I’d like to see an example of that (“better modellers”). I’d also like to see someone show me a Japanese game that has better environments.

8. GitForceGemini

An MGS that renders Yoji Shinkawa’s watercolour artwork in-game? Now that would be beautiful.

9. DaMan

@6 that is not true at all, console devs ‘ve been indeed doing it since 90s. but more japanese studios use the aforementioned approach, and more often as well than their western counterparts.

compare most of the JP PS2 titles to western ones, take a look at Silent Hill games, FInal Fantasy X and XII, Ico, SotC, MGS games. the list goes on. they look better than any PC titles from that time in terms of visual assets.

10. LOLshock94

metal gear is fucking shit the gameplay is so shit it makes vampire rain look playable

11. StolenGlory

@10.

12. klewd

@9 I don’t understand the first paragraph.

All the games you listed in the second paragraph are at the same level to western releases at the time. SOTC might be the exception and does feature excellent art. I don’t see what this has to do with PC though? I don’t think Kojima only meant PC when talking about this.

Besides, PS2 is a long time ago, a lot has changed since then (the japanese game industry has gotten worse).

13. back_up

@1: looks like a gay evil

14. DaMan

@12 reworded: console devs have been doing it for ages, since the days of PSX and N64. however, japanese are better at that sort of approach, and they generally use it more often.

I did not imply ‘only PC’. I mentioned it because despite PC having better GPUs to work with, PS2 games looked excellent due to JP artists.

not really, pretty much all big budget PS2 games from Japan look better. take Max Payne vs Silent Hill 2. they are uncomparable. particularly the characters. Manhunt vs Silent Hill 3, same.

and nope, despite their engines clearly being behind, ie FFXIII looks excellent. PS2 was a good example, because Japan didn’t yet fall behind coding-wise.

15. klewd

@14 What about Silent Hill 3 vs Doom 3? As I mentioned, the PS2-era was good for Japan. It’s not like that any more. You can’t find any game from 2007-2010 that doesn’t fall behind.

FF13 non-combat looks garbage, honestly. The environments are outright dead. The CGI and some of the battles look great, but I could still give you a handful of titles that look better (e.g. aforementioned GOW3 or, for the sake of mentioning something else; ME2, Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, Crysis). Then there’s upcoming Rage which pretty much demolishes anything we’ve seen so far.

I’m not saying this to give you a “graphics whore”-impression or “japan sucks, western games rule”, it’s just my opinion that Japan have been too far behind the last 3-5 years. Which is, of course, unfortunate. The majority of my favorite games were made by Japanese developers.

16. klewd

by the way, I think the very best example of (western) smart use of graphics (meaning clever use, not so much purely engine-driven) is in Uncharted 2.

17. DaMan

Silent Hill 3 still is better art wise. nice try btw, I hope you do realize Doom3 ‘s engine is light years ahead (PS2 GPU couldn’t handle any of the things it features), games these days still run on stuff like that one.

like I said, they did fall behind coding-wise, they still manage to keep up thanks to their excellent visual assets. UC2 tech is uncomparable with Squenix’ one, and so are all the examples you’re throwing at me (as well as japanese not being able to use western tech effectively in the case of UE, as opposed to say, Bioware).

I hope I made by point clear, we will just have to agree to disagree here. one thing though, I’m yet to see a western modeller not admitting japanese skills being better in most cases.

18. osric90

You ALL know that he’s the best in this industry in this times. Stop being haters and talking crap. Fanboys and trolls, please grow up. Go Kojima, deliver us something we will always remember and will help videogame industry showing the world it’s ART and more!

19. DaMan

your name seems ten years older than yourself.

20. Happy Hardon Harry

Oh dear, more Jap-Crap…

21. Rosseu

He just wants to say MGS4 was one of the first games on the PS3 and it still looks better than a whole lot of games that came after it.

I’ll be sure to buy his game, it’s guaranteed not to suck if it’s MADE by Kojima